International Hour of Peace

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: International Hour of Peace

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I'm trying to organize an event. Basically I'm encouraging everyone to meditate (preferably in public) between noon and 1 pm (PST) of 7/24. You can read more about it here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=185556948165188 It'd be really great if you guys joined in.

From the facebook page:

I need not tell you of all of the war and pain that exists in the world, as well as the lack of contentment caused by our everyday worries. I am proposing that for only one hour, we can all sit and meditate and give the world a dose, albiet a small dose, of peace.

The time I am proposing is 7/24 at noon pacific standard time because most people do not work on Sundays and if they do they normally have their lunch break around this time. It would be great if you could strive to meet this time, but I understand that due to different time zones that will be a difficulty. If you can't do this at noon PST, then just meditate at noon of whatever time zone.

Meditate where ever you are, preferably in public, but in a place that is out of the way of people, cars, etc. Perhaps bring a comfortable cushion or blanket, and turn off your phone, ipod, and the like. It would be excellent if you could wear a sign saying something like, "Come sit with me." You don't have to meditate for the full hour, you can even do only 10 or 15 minutes if you'd like, but it should be during the time slot.

If you've never meditated before, it's quite easy. Find a comfortable position, close your eyes (you can even use ear plugs if you'd like,) and focus your attention on something solid and steady such as your breath. Rest in awareness and be mindful of all thoughts and feelings that arise. You can name these things if you'd like (like 'planning... planning' or 'remembering... remembering.') Treat all that arises with a spirit of compassion. There are many free guided meditations available online if you do a search.
    Please share.

Thanks,
    Jake

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmmm not sure about that Jacob ....the symbolic power behind that is huge BUT give it more time ....try to make more than just a funny happening out of it ...mobilize more people get them to organize in smaller groups something like this needs to punch right in the face of society and therefore it needs to be perceived.

Because events like this have to be huge right from the beginning to really struck peoples minds ! ( I think )

all the best
    Seb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought 3 weeks would be long enough? I don't want people to forget about it all the same.

p.s. People have given me a surprising amount of flack for this. If you don't want to do then just don't. It's actually rather ironic to be so aggressive towards something that encourages peace.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do what sixmorevodka did for their "Draw or Die" campaign, and make it into an art contest where people make fliers and post them around their towns/cities.

then you could make a way where people could post pictures of the event n stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember hearing that a bunch a spiritual leaders and participants did a group meditation in Washington DC in hopes of reducing crime. I don't quite remember the times or dates but from what I recall the crime rate went down a significant amount for a whole summer. I think its a great cause, please bump when it gets closer so I don't miss it.

Edit: Heres the actual information.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryeh View Post
    Do what sixmorevodka did for their "Draw or Die" campaign, and make it into an art contest where people make fliers and post them around their towns/cities.

then you could make a way where people could post pictures of the event n stuff.
    I would love to do this, but I do not have the money to supply prizes unfortunately. I think to do this I'd have to get involved with a nonprofit organization.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just bumping this to say that this will be in a week from this Sunday.

I've also created flyers that you can print and post around town.

There are two file types, depending on how you intend to print them.

High res JPG: http://www.mediafire.com/?wofg42j9aog4aup

PDF: http://www.mediafire.com/?6t4fal3e628013y

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    great to see how the time accomdates the USAE and not the rest of the world. Youn should rename it National Hour of Peace. Rather than everyone do it at the same time I would suggest each nation do it at the same time in their time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's flexible. It can be 12 PST or 12 anytime or just anytime at all.

Also, we just had to pick ONE time, because the goal is for universal peace, aka the more people meditating at the same time the better, and it might as well be my time, because I'm dealing with a lot of local spiritual/zen/Buddhist organizations and they're drawing in a lot of support.

Last edited by OldJake666; July 22nd, 2011 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One hour until the International Hour of Peace! There's about a thousand participants world wide!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.