Thanks

WikiLeaks Exposes the US's Dirty Role in Haiti

In what should be a massive story, two journalists using the leaked US embassy cables have written a series of exposés detailing how Fruit of the Loom, Hanes and Levi's worked with the United States to block an increase in the minimum wage in the hemisphere's poorest nation, how business owners and members of the country's elite used Haiti's police force as their own private army after the 2004 U.S.-backed coup that ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, and how the United States, the European Union and the United Nations supported Haiti's recent presidential and parliamentary elections, despite concerns over the exclusion of Haiti's largest opposition party, Lavalas, the party of Aristide.

The Nation partners with Haiti Liberte on release of WikiLeaks Haiti cables:http://www.thenation.com/article/161009/wikihaiti-nation-partners-haiti-liber...

Democracy Now's interview with longtime Haiti correspondent Dan Coughlin and Haïti Liberté editor, Kim Ives, the report's authors.
    http://www.democracynow.org/2011/6/2...us_suppression

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Ok, I don't mind people posting in the lounge. However, CA's main focus is to help with art.
    If you're going to register accounts just for politics - I suggest another forum.

BTW, not banning the discussion, so the rest can carry along.
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 30th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Fruit of the-

Excuse me, I think you missed your daily lithium...
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Ok, I don't mind people posting in the lounge. However, CA's main focus is to help with art.
    If you're going to register accounts just for politics - I suggest another forum.

BTW, not banning the discussion, so the rest can carry along.
    I can't see the IP but it may be a regular who doesn't want to tarnish their name with a political discussion. Or they're paranoid about supporting subversive ideas, especially after the Wikileaks fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Politics is a fetishistic view of life, that fixates on one aspect of reality and funnels all information down through it. Like people who only see things in terms of Freudianism, or only through the Marxioid "Oppressed or Oppressor" categories, or only as "what god wants me to do" or as class jealousy, or how much money I make compared to you...

Politics destroys so many minds because it plays on people's hatred, jealousies and disappointments with life and turns them into mindless perfect consumers of the ideology and rejectors of anything not sanctioned from within their bubble.

Politics is the problem. The antidote is being more concerned with your own life than how you compare with others, and more concerned with thinking for yourself and doing for yourself than having someone else do your doing and thinking for you. In other words, shut down your media intake, and increase your life experience.
    I'm going to paste this into every political thread from now on.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    I can't see the IP but it may be a regular who doesn't want to tarnish their name with a political discussion. Or they're paranoid about supporting subversive ideas, especially after the Wikileaks fiasco.

I'm going to paste this into every political thread from now on.
    why would you be scared of having subversive ideas? is it because big brother is watching? WikiLeaks Exposes the US's Dirty Role in Haiti
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    "Politics is the problem. The antidote is being more concerned with your own life than how you compare with others, and more concerned with thinking for yourself and doing for yourself than having someone else do your doing and thinking for you. In other words, shut down your media intake, and increase your life experience."

This is not the right way to deal with the problem.this is just ignorance and self-referentiality and gonna change shit for the better. I know at first glance it looks like " um hey cool yeah seems legit....use your own brain!" but thats just a small part of the message its also says to mind your own business and to retreat from a part that actually is a very huge part of "life experience"

actually comparison with others is a huge part of growing personally because you could end up jealous but you also could end up with higher goals to reach for.

and the thing with media and life experience is ... you are simply not able to see enough of this world in one lifetime to really make a clear picture how the things really are.

So you just have to rely on some things other than your own damn business and mind. you need to learn to distinguish between the things that could be right and those who couldnt ...but then again the thing is in the end your not able to see those things in real with your own eyes and you dont believe the things they tell you ...so what to do ? In the end its a matter of faith and your own goals you simply have to believe some things that are told to you because if not you just end up denying everything and by doing so you wont develop in any direction, you will just stuck minding your own goddamn business ( which will be "to not believe in anything" )

You have to build up a world-view for your own and you can only do so if you start believing at least some things to be true, because you have to start with a frame of things you could actually build your world-view around. If there is absolutely nothing you believe in, than you dont have any standards to measure things against. And without any standards you end up having no value system at all to backup your decisions in life.which will leave you incapable to make any decisions.

and dealing with all parts of life ( including media and the fact that the world is as it is right now BUT can be changed ) is the right way to do this because if you simply blank out those parts that dont appeal to you your picture of the world will always be wrong or incomplete.

In the very end we will have to change most of our system but for this we need people who stop being closeminded ( and yes thinking that you`ve been constantly lied to is actually close-minded too, even though most of these people think they have finally seen through the lie ...but actually the havent, they just became a part of another system now, that has its very own believes and lies ) we actually have to evolve morally and ethical and leave most things behind ( incuding all systems already known to us as they all have proved that they are not able to handle all our needs or - if you will - the needs of all ) .....but I think this goes to far for this thread ^^

so long
    Seb

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Partisan, who are you arguing with?
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Fruit of the-

Excuse me, I think you missed your daily lithium...
    Plus Hanes and Levi's.

Yeah, large companies that are sweatshop-powered could never have interest in keeping the minimum wage low.

Maybe I should be taking lithium.

Although it's not like I don't find a newly registered user, with a weird username, posting this as a first post, questionable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    It sucks to say, but this isn't the first time and it won't be the last. As much as I love this country and appreciate the bennifits. But everything we use is built by some illitterate sweatshopworker, because anytime they want to unionize we smear them as communists and the CIA gets involved. All I can say is vote with your wallet, if you don't like it. Or you can just close your eyes and enjoy the hotdog.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; July 1st, 2011 at 07:37 PM.