My WIPs and things that need to be critqued

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I figure I might as well start with something I'm actually proud of, a W.I.P. on tegaki.

It's an app for a character in a 50's high school rp, with a twist, all the students are monsters and mythological creatures.

My character happens to be a wendigo, which I admit MIGHT be a bit overpowered but still. I love wendigoes and I know, I know, I made her TO cute...

Onsite: http://tewi.us/tegaki/dblog.php?u=63454&e=1439391

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it's just that I'm not very "hip" when it comes to wendigo mythology, but that... really doesn't look like wendigo to me. More like a mix between a swamp thing and the monsters from "where the wild things are".
    Also Tegaki really isn't the best thing to draw on, but I can understand if it's a Tegaki RP. Still I'd suggest that you take this image and rework it in some other program, or in paper because some of the things that hamper this image (the the bad cropping) are probably harder to deal with in Tegaki.

Overall, the image is lacking in form. I can understand if you want to go for that sort of "papercut" style of colouring with only couple colours, but you need to make sure that your lighting makes sense. The dress has no folds or wrinkles and the shadows kinda go everywhere
    Her leg pose makes no sense, why is she randomly lifting and twisting her other foot? And why isn't her dress reacting to it? It also looks like you're trying to hide her hands (possibly because they're hard to draw?) which looks awkward, as if her sleeve had a suction cup that has been stuck to the book.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Maybe it's just that I'm not very "hip" when it comes to wendigo mythology, but that... really doesn't look like wendigo to me. More like a mix between a swamp thing and the monsters from "where the wild things are".
    Also Tegaki really isn't the best thing to draw on, but I can understand if it's a Tegaki RP. Still I'd suggest that you take this image and rework it in some other program, or in paper because some of the things that hamper this image (the the bad cropping) are probably harder to deal with in Tegaki.

Overall, the image is lacking in form. I can understand if you want to go for that sort of "papercut" style of colouring with only couple colours, but you need to make sure that your lighting makes sense. The dress has no folds or wrinkles and the shadows kinda go everywhere
    Her leg pose makes no sense, why is she randomly lifting and twisting her other foot? And why isn't her dress reacting to it? It also looks like you're trying to hide her hands (possibly because they're hard to draw?) which looks awkward, as if her sleeve had a suction cup that has been stuck to the book.
    I know the colouring sucks. I'm still pretty bad compared to some awesome people. and I knew there was something missing from that dress....

about her leg pose, I didn't want it to be "boring" and apparently I fucked up on leg anatomy haha.

and yes, I am trying to hide her hands, I'm so bad. and I will edit the sleeve and book, don't you worry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay this needs a lot of work. I could tell you down to the last detail how you could improve this, but I don't think you'll learn all too much from that.

In short; study anatomy, look up "Figure drawing for all it's worth" by Andrew Loomis, and/or "Constructive Anatomy" by George Bridgeman. Draw the body first, then the clothing. Check out this thread for help with clothing folds. And possibly most importantly; study from life. Once you've done all that and practised each subject thoroughly (which will take a long while), you may be able to reproduce this piece and make something really good out of it.

For now though, I suggest you simply give her more room on the canvas (why chop off the left side of her body?), don't work on a white background, make a more interesting pose (remember contrapposto, if the shoulders tilt one way, the hips will tilt the other way, example) and push your values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry if I triple post, but this site seems to be a cock and won't let me see posts.

but thank you to the guys and gals who already come to my anatomical aid.

But I agree, Issy (the Wendigo I nominally posted) doesn't REALLY look like one. she's really flanderized..(sp?)

So here's a not so cute verison of our lovely lady.

If the image fails: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Water...syshitreal.png

EDIT: FORGOT HER HORNS, FFFFFFFF >:V

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.