Hellboy process (finished?)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hellboy process (finished?)

Hi Guys. I've been a lurker on Concept art for years and just recently started up a sketchbook. I really want to get to the amazing levels that some of the artists on the front page have reached.

Here is Aus I'm a book cover artist and i think I'm good enough for the Aussie market, but i really feel like i need to step it up If i want to reach the skill levels of the amazing artists who casually wander through Concept art.

So here is the first stage in a hellboy painting done for fun, comments and crits more than welcome.

** I've moved the first stage to my second post, and replaced it with the finished peice =D

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S Ciaffaglione; July 7th, 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added date for update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to S Ciaffaglione For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice energy, I don't know what others will think of the non local colors, but I love it in a design sense. I'm referring to the blue and yellow hair lights in particular.

What does come across though is that the figure itself is a little lifeless on that backdrop. Aside from the hairlights on his right and left sides, Red's a little too red, if you get my meaning. I think you could experiment adding a few more color variations throughout his form. Think of Picasso's girl looking through the window-- Right now Red's body is incredible monotone. Try making the shadows a subdued color versus using darker reds and blacks. Violets, pinks, oranges and yellows could really make his body more interesting and 'pop'.

Otherwise he is sorta the less interesting part of the overall composition. Looking forward to seeing what you can do!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeJEich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it too. I like the design. I find his proportions to be a little 'old mannish'. His arms are toned but they're too damn scrawny IMO. I like the painting treatment a lot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys. Here is the next stage after spending some time on the background. I hope to find the time tomorrow to finish up Hellboy himself.

Eichelberg- Yeah i agree about the redness, once i get to finishing Hellboy I'll add in some variation in the colour.

Artfix- Ha yeh he looks a bit old mannish, i was sort of going for ape like. I wanted him to seem like a guy who doesnt lift weights but is naturally a bit wirey.

Last edited by S Ciaffaglione; July 7th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to S Ciaffaglione For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I'm a bit annoyed by the brightly-colored rim light on both sides. One side is fine, but with both it looks like something from some horrible music video where figures are outlined by glows.

Always keep studying anatomy on the side. He needs some serratus magnus, the pectoral inserts over the bicep, does Hellboy have nipples?, the arms are both a bit of a mess, and you're totally winging the neck/trapezius area.

[Edit] OK, wow. I started writing that before you posted. It's all very nicely rendered, but where the heck is that blue light coming from? He looks pasted onto a background because the lighting doesn't match up and he's not interacting with anything.

Last edited by -Ross; June 30th, 2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: saw new post and wrote more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to -Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    His midsection is large compared to the neck, arms, legs. It's like midsection belongs to a steroid up bodybuilder and then the arms of an old man like mentioned above. Neck is kind of tiny for the body and so are the legs.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DAMJAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for the feedback guys. I keep getting comments on the over using of the rim lights so I'll definitely have to re-examine my choice later on tonight when i finish Hellboy off.

Mr.Corlan- I'll definitely have another pass at the anatomy when i finish up his figure. At the moment he is mostly just blocked in as a guide. I'd like to see what you think when he is finished up.

He does seem a bit pasted on, but i should probably explain what i was going for. If you have a look at some of Mignola's Hellboy covers he often just plonks hellboy in a cool sort of pose infront of a design element. I was trying to give the same feeling you would get from one of his covers. I've attached some here for ref.

DAMJAN- Thanks for taking a look Dam. I didnt feel right giving Hellboy classically beautiful proportions because Mignola sort of draws him with this huge barrel like mid section with tiny old man arms. I was trying to remain faithful to the original character rather than the movie version.

hellboy2.jpg hellboy4.jpg hellboy3.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I see what you are going for however what I think that the problem is, his is very stylized but yours is very detailed so it clashes.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DAMJAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I like the rim lights and I think its obvious that its a design choice, so you have all viewpoints on that one.

Damjan makes a good point above. Your rendering is realistic and the ref is flat graphic. I don't see why you can't learn to marry the two and do what you like. I think you're on a good track. Or try to exaggerate your proportions MORE so it looks intentional, and not just weird or accidental.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not that you need another opinion on your fine piece, but I really like the detailed look on the unflattering proportions. I do think that Mr. Corlan makes a good point about keeping the anatomy accurate.

You have some nice tentacles going on there...overall a satisfying re-imagining of the Hellboy character. And I don't mind the rim lights.

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice,I like the design.Come on,you will be the best!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to narcissa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks again for the feedback. here is the next stage after having worked on hellboys physique, what do you think?

Artfix and Damjan- Thats for the comments guys, yeah i am trying to marry Mignolas style with a more realistic one, i hope it will come together in the end.

DPFX- Thanks man =)

Narcissa- Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok I think I'm finished with this one! I've put the final stage in my first post. Many thanks to everyone who offered feedback. Please feel free to continue to comment and crit =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.