Lucifer, Batman and other new works by Tony Treloar
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lucifer, Batman and other new works by Tony Treloar

Some of my newest pieces mixed in with a few older ones I've gotten around to finishing up. For more of my work you may visit me at:

http://www.tonytreloar.blogspot.com/

And anyone interested in hiring me may personally contact me at:

filmmakerartist1@yahoo.com

or

tonytreloar@gmail.com

Thank you for taking the time to check out my work!

-Tony Treloar

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If these were wips, I would have posted here instead they were moved by the mighty art gods that determine what's worthy on this site. If these pieces had been for a game or film that everyone's heard about, everyone would be shitting themselves over it and 5 starring the thread to death. Or if I were spending a fortune with tad, same thing. It's all a popularity contest here folks and I do art for myself and to share with others. If you like it, cool, if you don't, I don't care. Too many artists here try to appease the "masters" around here which is why nearly every piece that is praised is either a Blade Runner or Lord of the Rings knockoff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No, sadly, it's not all a popularity contest. And the vital skill is to be able to see that for yourself.

If you click any of the thumbnails at the top of the page and don't feel intimidated, you're missing very important job skill. Even the guys in the thumbnails at the top of the page, I am sure, feel intimidated by other guys in the thumbnails at the top of the page.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have to be humble. the finally finished section is for pro level work, and people go there to see it. This place is about helping artists grow. Hell, I've not been here long, but the help I've received for my work has been priceless, and I have a lot of good people to thank for that. Just because your work has been moved here doesn't mean it's bad, but it does mean helpful critique will help you improve dramatically, if your willing to work.

As for crits, there's a lot of black in these, and it deadens the paintings, try getting some lighter tones in the shadows. Your anatomy looks off in a few of these too, especially the first and fourth. Try getting to some life classes in your area, they definitely help.

If you want to improve, your gonna have to learn to take crits. If you do, you will improve. Keep going!

please visit my online portfolio and blog

http://tomedwardsconcepts.daportfolio.com/
    http://tomedwardsdmuga.blogspot.com/

Thankyou

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by t1118 View Post
    If these were wips, I would have posted here instead they were moved by the mighty art gods that determine what's worthy on this site. If these pieces had been for a game or film that everyone's heard about, everyone would be shitting themselves over it and 5 starring the thread to death. Or if I were spending a fortune with tad, same thing. It's all a popularity contest here folks and I do art for myself and to share with others. If you like it, cool, if you don't, I don't care. Too many artists here try to appease the "masters" around here which is why nearly every piece that is praised is either a Blade Runner or Lord of the Rings knockoff.
    Good luck in your career.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If these were wips, I would have posted here instead they were moved by the mighty art gods
    SHHH, do not speak of the art gods that way the... they... will smite you.
    To please them again before its too late, sacrifice a lamb while facing the holy land of art, while praising the old masters in the ancient tongue.

You can always do this simple test to see if your art is up to par. One click on an artist in the Finally Finished sub-forum. Second, see their quality work, always see another artist, so go back and click another artist in the same sub-forum (do this as many times as you like). Third, compare their craft(wo)manship to yours. then you will know.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're overusing textures a bit. It makes the work look messy overall. Try to think more carefully where and why you use textures.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If these pieces had been for a game or film that everyone's heard about, everyone would be shitting themselves over it and 5 starring the thread to death.
    No, everyone would be shitting themselves over how the standards at a studio everyone's heard about have slipped so far that their quality assurance department may as well be carpeted with banana peels.

Last edited by Jason Rainville; July 5th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! You've now totally motivated me to prove you wrong. :D (since I want to learn to paint for myself, not for games or film.)

Also, you should check out this thread: "My piece was moved here from 'Finally Finished'...".

You now have an opportunity to learn about your weaknesses and improve them to become a stronger artist. Are you up to the challenge? (And if you aren't, why are you here?)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    On a more productive note;

- too much airbrish
    - too much black
    - not enough correct facial or figurative anatomy
    - too much sketchy/grainy/whispy texture, not enough solid areas of mass and tone.
    - local colours are screaming through. no sense of bounced light or colour placement within the scene.

In the batman one, joker's missing the topmost part of his cranium and he has a very weird tapered face. Batman's cloak makes no sense if it's made out of any sort of cloth. Using so much black deadens areas of the image.

in the dude-being-burnenated one, it's way too muddy and dark overall to have a crisp fiery feel. less fluffy, muddy value changes, more sharp, luminous changes.

The robot makes no mechanical sense, and illustrates some weak drawing skills; the cut-out rounded area for his shoulder joint is neither a circle nor... anything else really, just seems like it needs to be redrawn. this one has a nice example of how you overuse the airbrush around the edges. Don't shade with black or white, it washes out the colour.

Space lady needs a new space leg, the one on the left is busted at the knee. She's very flat and very stiff, there's no sense of form to her space body and she's in an unnatural space pose. More figure drawing will sort it out.

Rocket man/space stations, another example of too much airbrush. Those ships don't need it around their edges, and their structures could be more consistent/parallel. his jets really could be brighter.

Pink thing has a very cartoony eye, and is SCREAMINGLY pink. He's not being affected by the environment and the environment is not being affected by him. this one best illustrates your need to study up colour relationships within whole scenes.

Bottom line; You know how to use the stylus and you've got a decent imagination, but you're really lacking in a lot o knowledge. You NEED to hit those studies so we can start shitting our pants and 5 starring your threads dude.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.