Thanks

what do (venting?)

Ok, so, I am a complete newbie at drawing and I like drawing enough to try to get good enough to get a job at it but at the same time I think I am way too old to start drawing and wanting to get a job at drawing (20).

As I said I like drawing but at the same time life drawing makes me want to punch babies because that's when I truly understand how bad I am at drawing to the point I no longer want to keep drawing in general because I am so terrible at it. And looking at it, the fact that to get better at drawing you necessarily have to keep drawing from life is so painfuly horrible that I stop drawing for weeks.

You may say that if it's so bad for me why keep drawing, well, I guess it's because drawing is probably the thing I am less terrible at so I guess it's the only path.

Watching artists that are better than me (including some friends) half inspires me but at the same time it gets me too horribly frustrated.

TL;DR: I get easily frustrated, wow I should stop complaining, what do.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I have not responded to these kinds of threads before, but I see them often enough to know a lot of people feel like this sometimes. It's no big deal.

It's never too late, you just have to want it enough. Watch out for excuses, they will hold you back.

I checked out your sketchbook. Stop putting yourself down, humility is a good thing, but the self-loathing in your small sketchbook thread, coupled with no anatomy drawings (despite your title saying there would be) can put people off.

You've made 6 posts so far and almost everyone has been a put down of yourself and now this thread...

Man up. Seriously. The balls in your court now. Fill up that sketchbook so people can help you and encourage you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    coupled with no anatomy drawings (despite your title saying there would be) can put people off.
    I am ashamed of posting them. Also lol just got my scanner back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBeefheart View Post
    I am ashamed of posting them. Also lol just got my scanner back.
    Now you are just trolling.

Best of luck in, well, whatever.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    You may say that if it's so bad for me why keep drawing, well, I guess it's because drawing is probably the thing I am less terrible at so I guess it's the only path.
    So basically you're saying that because you're just bit better at drawing than at anything else, that's the only path available for you? Oh please.
    I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be terrible at flipping burgers or being a cashier and that's probably easier than doing art as a job (or at least easier than the path of getting so good that you can do art as a job, at least you don't need to do any life drawing to be a cashier), so I guess your only option is to quit art and go to work at McDonalds for the rest of your life.

Or you could actually put some effort into practicing something else than art. Or shut up and go do some life drawings. Just saying.
    Last edited by TinyBird; June 29th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    You sound like you could use some PURE FUCKING ENTHUSIASM.

Look, I'm 24 and I'm probably worse at this than you are, but to lose your passion for the one thing you are decent at is a terrible, terrible thing.

You know that you are not completely terrible at this for a reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    And looking at it, the fact that to get better at drawing you necessarily have to keep drawing from life is so painfuly horrible that I stop drawing for weeks.
    What? Why? I always thought life drawing is fun.

Thanks
    just read Art & Fear

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MidgardSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    I`d just like to say this, in a very loving and caring way...

Next 20 year old who who comes here and starts whining how they feel inept and too old for all this will personally be bitch slapped by me into past century.

That is all.
    Thank you, and good luck.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    I started drawing at 26. I'd never picked up a pencil before then and it wasn't too late for me by a long shot. (I'm far from fabulous, but I'm working hard to get better.) Go get yourself some Loomis or Bridgman (preferably both), go draw, and suck it up.. Don't waste time making threads like this when you could be using that time to study and improve. Ultimately, one use of your time will help you.. The other one won't at all. (Can you guess which is which?)

If you want something bad enough, you find a way to make it happen.. The question is: how badly do you want to be good at art? Are you willing to put in the time? Are you willing to put aside other things and make improving a priority? It's hard work and a lot of it, but if you want it bad enough, you'll push through it. If not, you might as well just quit now because you'll never get to where you want to be.

Swallow your pride, post your stuff in the critique section, and get some help. You might get your feelings hurt by getting critiqued, but no one intends to be hurtful.. They're just trying to push you in the right direction. You have to get over yourself first and put your pride on the back burner. If you're so afraid of what people are going to think, you need to start off by growing a thicker skin.. Otherwise, you'll never make it in industry anyhow.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Too old?

How many times do we have to link to mindcandyman.
    Last edited by Jason Rainville; June 29th, 2011 at 11:20 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    As I said I like drawing but at the same time life drawing makes me want to punch babies because that's when I truly understand how bad I am at drawing to the point I no longer want to keep drawing in general because I am so terrible at it. And looking at it, the fact that to get better at drawing you necessarily have to keep drawing from life is so painfuly horrible that I stop drawing for weeks.
    Then I guess you're just not getting a job drawing. Sorry! Better luck with accountancy or programming or burger-flipping or whatever it is you're going to study in college and end up doing with your life.

Dreams are nice but the bottom line is that you are not going to get paid for sitting around feeling bad about your art. You aren't going to get paid for sitting around feeling bad about anything. You might as well break yourself of that habit as soon as you can because it's totally fucking useless.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I wonder if NASA has message boards where people post about how they really want to be an astronaut but they're just not very good at it?

(P.S. I like the stuff in your sketchbook, what little of it there is. Draw more, post more, whine and self-pity less.)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    There's always going to be someone better than u out there. No need to let that stop you from drawing tho.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    thats funny
    cause when i do a bad drawing my first thought is "well that sucked, lets make it better"

O_o

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    I'm having the opposite problem.
    I'm so fuckin' good at drawin' an' all. And real motherfuckin' cool at paintin' an' stuff.
    Well, it makes me feel kinda lonely an' all, bein' on top of the talent mountain like I am.
    I look across at what the other mofos are doin' and I just think sheeeet I'm here all by my ownsome. Why isn't anyone better than me? Who can I learn off?

An' the worst of it all is I'm the ONLY ONE who can complain about this cos' of my unique position on top of the heap. Every other dude gets to complain about bein' worse than me in nice cosy company with each other.
    It aint fair I tell ya.
    I try not drawing, lettin' my paints go dry an' all, not doin' nothin, but I doesn't make any difference. I just keep on improving regardless. So I'm goin' to try moaning about it.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

25. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,548 Posts
    I can totally relate Chris! Wait, no I can't...awww shit, I suck too!

The real solution is to stop drawing altogether...that way you suck less. Eventually you get pretty darn good without all the bother.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bennett View Post
    I'm so fuckin' good at drawin' an' all. And real motherfuckin' cool at paintin' an' stuff.
    Well, it makes me feel kinda lonely an' all, bein' on top of the talent mountain like I am.
    I look across at what the other mofos are doin' and I just think sheeeet I'm here all by my ownsome. Why isn't anyone better than me? Who can I learn off?

An' the worst of it all is I'm the ONLY ONE who can complain about this cos' of my unique position on top of the heap. Every other dude gets to complain about bein' worse than me in nice cosy company with each other.
    It aint fair I tell ya.
    I try not drawing, lettin' my paints go dry an' all, not doin' nothin, but I doesn't make any difference. I just keep on improving regardless. So I'm goin' to try moaning about it.
    I can bitch slap you too if you want.
    Really.... the pleasure would be all mine.

what do (venting?)

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I wonder if NASA has message boards where people post about how they really want to be an astronaut but they're just not very good at it?

(P.S. I like the stuff in your sketchbook, what little of it there is. Draw more, post more, whine and self-pity less.)
    O god.....
    Attachment 1266440
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,722 Times in 4,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bennett View Post

It aint fair I tell ya.
    You asked me to marry you - go do the washing up.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    its ok bro everyone feels that way sometimes

the trick is to IGNORE YOUR EMOTIONS

nice username btw
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    You asked me to marry you - go do the washing up.
    But darling, one of our models usually does that...
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're all right, damn, I'll get to drawing right now. Whining is a bad habit I have.

And yeah I don't even have that much pride, I'll post those drawings as soon as I can. Sorry for the whining, really. I find myself doing it too much lately.

(also invisiblequail i see what you did there.)

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainBeefheart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    its ok to whine as long as you get back to work
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    I started about a year ago at 28, yeah sometimes its rough, but I love it. So I must do it.
    ANDREWS WEBSITE I am available for work
    REIGN OF THE GODS strategic fantasy warfare board game

40. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewGaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruGaia View Post
    I started about a year ago at 28
    whoa.

Thanks
    Ha, you're doing better than I am, so keep going. There was a time when I hated drawing from life too. I wanted to be able to sit at my computer and draw but then I realized slowly that I wasn't improving. Eventually, I wanted to get better so badly that now I want to draw from life. But it took a few years for that to happen. And of course there are some things that are more interesting to draw from life than others.
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.