Thread: Moving to LA

Thanks

Moving to LA

I'm moving to Pasadena in 7 days.I know it's tough competition but I'm coming to fulfill my dream of being a full time illustrator. I'd love to meet anyone in the area for some coffee or drawing.

A little about me: I'm was born and raised in D.C. this is my first big move. I attended The Corcoran College of Art and Design, where I earned a B.F.A with a concentration in drawing/ painting. I am only crazy in the sense that I'm moving cross country leaving my job and family to one day (hopefully) draw pictures all day.

anyways if anyone could offer some advice I'd be glad to take that as well as your friendship.

Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    you moved to LA without a job ?! Couldn't you have just worked on a portfolio in DC and send it out to different companies ?

My advice, don't do it, I'd stay where you are (keep your job) and outsource your talent. I have a few friends that are programmers and artists who get flown into different cities / countries for job interviews and work.

Prioritize. Find a city / state / country where you want to live or visit, look for companies in the area, start working on a portfolio tailored to that companies needs, Apply.

If you don't get accepted the 1st time, keep in contact and find out what the company is looking for and what your work is lacking. Find out what you need to do for them to want you.
    blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Thanks
    well I have a job, but i don't have a salary any longer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    I lived in LA for 2 years...so I can offer some insight.

For starters, define "illustration". Because if you just want to do finished pieces of artwork for print or web, I really don't see a need to dump a ton of money into moving other than a change of scenery. Most of that industry is based around freelance which with the proper marketing of yourself, you should be able to do anywhere (including your current location!).

I looked at your blog. You have good art...but I get a feeling you mean concept art? So that would make more sense to me as LA does have a lot of game developers and of course the movie industry. But even still, the competition is not "tough", it's astronomical. So you'll need to do some things before you move:

1) You obviously don't have a job, but have you at least sent your stuff to developers or "studio of your industry of choice" to start getting a feel for what they think of you? If they don't reply to you, AT ALL, that is a sign that you may not be ready. If they reply to you with advice on how to proceed, do it. If they want to give you a job, TAKE IT. Anything (that goes for when you get out there, too. Do not be picky when starting the industry. Just get in).

2) Do you have friends and/or family in LA that you will be living with or may allow you to live with them? Chances are great that you will not find work. You may have to (read: Will likely have to) live in a shithole. Prices around LA are all over the place. I dunno about Pasadena, but I would assume standard "coastal cost of living", i.e., I doubt you are gonna find a sweet house for 300.00 bucks a month. Maybe a trailer, though. But anyway, if you start to run dry on funds, you may need support from friends to help you. And if so...be prepared to lose those friends if you start to put too much of a drain on that friendship by asking them to save you.

3) Do you have a backup plan? This is either a career or just the willingness to work in a non-art field. Will you suck in your pride and apply at McDonalds or a similar place of employment if you cant find work?

4) Do you have credit cards? Do not use them. You will ruin your life if you say "Ah, the next job is right around the corner! I'll hit Outback tonight!". Reason is, freelance art is and bumpy living. Some months are wealthy, some are not so wealthy, some are FLAT BROKE. You need to take all extra money and dump it into savings, not into some shitty company that loves tacking on extra charges whenever they can.

5) LA specific stuff: You better have a car! The bus system sucks, imo (unless something has changed). And you better get used to some of the worst fucking traffic in the country! The 405 will be your nightmare....not just because it's full traffic, but because LA drivers are some of the angriest, most aggressive dicks on the road. It takes supreme willpower to not sucumb to to road rage.

Other than that, LA is a gorgeous place to be. I used to say "great place to visit, shitty place to live", but I find myself missing it. I definitely think you might be a bit too hasty in your decision, but you don't know until you try, right? Just keep your friends and family close, make sure you don't act too quickly without thinking, and SAVE MONEY.

Good luck.

Thanks
    never go anywhere without a job
    especially in a big city

Thanks
    Let me clarify some stuff, I'll be working as a contract designer at the same company i currently work which is decent income, but is no longer salaried.

I do have friends out there and i do have savings. I'd like to break into concept illustration as a profession.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaWIII View Post
    Let me clarify some stuff, I'll be working as a contract designer at the same company i currently work which is decent income, but is no longer salaried.

I do have friends out there and i do have savings. I'd like to break into concept illustration as a profession.
    All very important info that probably should have been in the first post. ;P

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ah yes, I'm sorry about that. I was mainly wondering about cool stuff to do in the area like drawing, coffee, or any cool art stuff.

I'd just like to make a few friends when i get there.

Thanks
    pasadena?
    nah. too far. i'm just outside of santa monica.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowDaddie View Post
    Hi RaW

3) On the contrary to one of the previous posters, I would highly recommend that you DON'T purhcase a vehicle.

Car Insurance is higher in LA by default. There are WAY more drivers and the freeways are a confusing mess.

It's illegal to drive in LA without car insurance. So you HAVE to purchase car insurance no matter what. Gas prices are also higher in LA than most other places. If you get pulled over, you have to show your drivers lisensce and proof of car insurance. If you don't have that, they can impound your car. Also, you have to get your car "smog checked" every 2 years. It's only like 60 bucks, but guess what? If you have a "check engine" light, you automatically FAIL the smog check. That means you have to make sure yoru car is FULLY repaired. So if you're muffler has been making a weird sound, but you've been driving around, ignoring it, when it comes to passing smog check, you have to pay the $800 or whatever to repair the muffler to renew your tags. So if you own an older, used car that has mechancial problems, you can't ignore them. You HAVE to fix them if you want to legally drive the car.

Parking in LA also sucks. There are so many cars and many places require you to pay to park your car.

4) LA is a great city. I love it here and consider it my home. But it's also super expensive. Anyway, good luck and welcome to LA!
    then how in the world do you travel and get to places on time
    my sister lives in LA and my family bought a car for her not because she's such a great and deserving driver but because LA is hell without a car
    i heard that LA public transit systems are notoriously late and never on time, etc. and that even the public transit areas are few and far inbetween so its not reliable
    so uhh... do you like walk or something? how do you buy groceries lol

when i was in ny the traffic was CRAZY. but at least we had a reliable train

Thanks
    oh ok
    i had a friend who's like 20 and he didn't even have a driver's license. i guess he's not that crazy for saying "lol i am going to pasadena" (he was going to art center )
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    I appreciate the alternative point of view. But you basically agreed with me that I said the public transit sucks and that housing is expensive, so I definitely stand by my statement.

You mostly need a car...unless you are lucky that you live close to work. Not everyone has the luxury of living 7 miles from work (most don't).
    I lived in Torrance and worked in Santa Monica. There was no way I was getting around not having one. Torrance is cheap, Santa Monica is not. So it's a balance.

Either way, I think we agree on one very important aspect of LA: It's damn expensive! Prepare for that!

Thanks
    So the good/unfortunate news is that the cost of living in D.C. is comparable to LA statistically the largest difference between the two is 4 percent. So I have an idea of how far my income will take me. I've chosen Pasadena because i plan to attend the fall semester at CDA. And many of my friends are in the area.

That being said, what does everyone do for fun there?

Thanks
    Do it. I want to migrate to D.C. because it's a major transatlantic hub like NYC, but I'm more Asia-leaning than Europe so the ultimate goal is the big WC. Don't worry so much about the nightlife, LA has plenty, but if you're a MD/DC/NVA native, be prepared to take the WC social scene with a grain of salt. Over here we seem to be more geared toward attitude, seriousness, lack of tolerance, and definitive choices. Over there, they're more laid back and easy going, something that will take a bit of getting used to, but it'll make you wonder why the hell you tolerated DC for so long and didn't do it sooner. I know people the hit the road with a debit card and $200 cash and nobody comes back from Cali, Asia, and Europe dude, NO ONE. IF I didn't have three rottweilers, a long haired red persian, and a ring neck dove at my studio to come back and take care of, I would have been one of those people a long time ago
    Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology