Thread: Moving woes

Thanks

Moving woes

Hi all!

Well, my boyfriend recently moved to Ireland, and I have been rousted from another apartment. This time around I decided I'd save money on movers and do it all myself (with help for the big stuff from a few friends). My original thought, 'Not paying movers = money to visit my boy!'

Worst idea ever. With the help of two friends we moved furniture in 100 degree weather for hours yesterday. I was so fried, I forgot the guest bed was still set up, and instead crashed on a couch cushion for the night. This morning another 72 flights of stairs worth of moving, with more to look forward to. It'll be 101 today so I'm going to be smart for once and not do anything midday.

You can bet I'm paying for movers from here on out!

Anyway, I got to thinking that others must have worse or more.. exciting moving stories. Please share! =)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 4,637 Posts
    When we moved from our last place, we had no room for the Victorian straight strung grand piano in the new house. We couldn't give it away, and I'm very sorry, but we had to smash it up. I kept all the nice wood (part of which is now my desk) and want to make a fireplace with the keyboard part and legs. I also have all the ivory and ebony boxed waiting for another project when I have time.

I moved 10 years ago today.

Thanks
    A Victorian grand piano? Ouch! I know more then a few people who would have been in tears over that choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    I moved from the US to the UK a few years ago. I'd lived in the same town for 30 years. Same job for 25. Same house for 20.

It's a hell of a mad scramble, moving to another country. Selling a house, getting the movers in, applying for the visa (don't get me started!), quitting the job, getting the cat cleared for takeoff. I ran around like an increasingly manic madwoman for weeks.

And then next morning I woke up on the shores of the English Channel and realized everything in my bag -- the vital bits I've always fought hardest to protect -- was worthless. My keys didn't open anything. My money wasn't any good. My work ID, my Blue Cross card...junk. I was totally somebody else.

Spooky.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpep View Post
    A Victorian grand piano? Ouch! I know more then a few people who would have been in tears over that choice.
    It was just at the wrong time. One dealer said Americans were queuing up to pay £10K a few years back. It wasn't a great instrument (they don't all age brilliantly) but a nice bit of furniture.

Thanks
    well.... im on the process of moving these days.
    its the worst feeling ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    On the plus side though Jpep, you won't have any problems with the temperature being too high in Ireland. Ever.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Am I the only one who loves moving?

I think it's exciting; you get to go someplace new and purge yourself of all the non-essentials. Pay movers? And let them have all the fun? Never! I've always moved around a lot so I tend to get wanderlust whenever I've been in one place for too long.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    Am I the only one who loves moving?

I think it's exciting; you get to go someplace new and purge yourself of all the non-essentials. Pay movers? And let them have all the fun? Never! I've always moved around a lot so I tend to get wanderlust whenever I've been in one place for too long.
    No, I kinda like moving too. I should, I did it 7 times in almost as many years.

With all those moves there were a couple that didn't go so well. The fourth one my ex was away for a few weeks so I had a few friends in to help move my stuff, which was chiefly books. I packed the books in gigantic CRT monitor boxes which I didn't tape up. That... was no good. And the next move I had a weeklong bout of food poisoning so I was packing everything in between puking my guts out in the bathroom. Also not ideal.

I think I might have to stick with this house, though. I planted things. So the only way I'm moving is if the perennials all come with me.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Ireland? Nice, I'm jealous.

When my wife (then girlfriend) and I moved from our flat in the city centre to a house in the suburbs, it was probably one of the most stressful experiences of my life. Did not help that two cold fronts hit Cape Town at the same time that weekend. Had to move on that day and we are talking heavy rain, wind and hail.

But we made it. We were amazed at the amount of crap we had accumulated. I think it was because we each moved our stuff into our big apartment individually...and then when we moved into the house, everything was lumped together.

Going to be moving again next year, I am actually already preparing by just throwing stuff out.

Thanks
    I'm starting packing stuff today and moving soon. Formerly I hated it because of all that fuss, moving first time was hell but next time things are better organized. Now I'm even pleased because after 1,5 year this place is kinda boring, also I will throw out useless things and new room will be super clean.

Thanks
    The reason I'm a hoarder these days is because as a child I moved from country to country and had no choice in what was kept and what was thrown out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    The reason I'm a hoarder these days is because as a child I moved from country to country and had no choice in what was kept and what was thrown out.
    that makes a lot of sense. When we moved to a new country, or anywhere that was too far to drive, we were given a small trunk or half a trunk that we got to pack ourselves. We had to leave a lot of things behind, but we got to decide what was important enough to go. Plus, if we sold our old books and toys, my parents let us keep the money. I remember being super-excited about the pound to dollar exchange rate.

Except one time we couldn't take my dog (moving from a country with rabies to one without is arduous, or was 15 years ago). I was so upset. I gladly would've left my sister behind if it meant we could've brought the dog.