Vector programs?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Vector programs?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vector programs?

So the two popular vector programs are adobe illustrator and CorelDRAW. I read that the purpose of vector programs is for designing print materials. Is that it? Is there nothing these programs can help for actually doing illustrations and concept art?

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a good question. I never have used either Illustrator or DRAW before, and I have wondered the same. They sound like they'd be intended for illustration and art in some general cases huh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used them both extensively and can say that they do not mend into any concept art workflow that I can think of. However you can export vector files into sketchup pro which is kinda cool for making logos 3d. Vector art is more technical than artistic but you can also export paths from illustrator and open them up in photoshop.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried DrawPlus? They have tons of brushes like chalk, ink etc and all vector.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love vector artwork. The problem is that realistic images require more time and planning which is not really suited to the fast turnaround that concept work demands. You can produce stunning artwork very quickly with Illustrator, or whatever, but it usually involves stylisation and/or simplification; not something that is best suited to this type of work - but not impossible I would think.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Illustrator is one of the most powerful drawing engines ever created, and it's complete compatibility with PS is a dream. It's most laudable feature is that it allows art to be created that can be sized to literally any dimension that will allow reproduction. Reason? Vector is pure math, and this is what makes it the prime tool for the graphic arts and advertising industries.

I suggest that if you can, try to do some work in vector to see how it works, then think carefully about the fact that many things can be done in vector faster and better than in a raster app, then transported to raster for finishing. Anyone who does mech, architectural, armor/weapons and environmental design may be a bit shocked by how easy/fast the process can become.

It's a tool. Learn how to use it well, and you gain... Basically, what I'm saying is don't limit yourself to a "painterly" program just because everybody tells you vector is only for ad types.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im prefer illustrator....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.