Office/Studio wall paint color advice :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Office/Studio wall paint color advice :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Office/Studio wall paint color advice :)

I am ripping my work space apart, and plan to repaint the walls... any ideas on a good color that wont be distracting or sleep educing?, any preferences you have tried?.

-side note: I find I get distracted by my surroundings easily if they are overly cluttered, so I am assuming different colors will play in different ways on ones focus in a work environment.

Of course some people more effected then others.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, IIRC, purple is a "high energy" color. And I've heard green promotes creativity.
    Although it might be difficult to mix them without having a children's dinosaur vibe.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yellow is popular in offices as it helps people concentrate.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What sort of work are you doing in your office/studio and how long do you spend in there each day? I would be worried about the color affecting how you perceive the colors in your artwork. The only thing I know about color psychology is that they tend to put soothing pastel colors in psychiatric wards and red stimulates your appetite while blue supposedly suppresses it (I painted my kitchen blue, but I don't think it's helping ). Maybe someone else can elaborate, but wouldn't, like, neutral 9 gray be the ideal color for making and viewing artwork, assuming you had your lighting in order, too?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rainbow colour, then you gain all the benefits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny you should mention grey as that's so far the strongest leaning I have so far. just trying to figure out what percent, and if it should lean to a cooler or warmer color?.

I had also read that blues are calming ect.., and reds and yellows are possibly aggregating over time, just actually been reading a few studies on color and enviroment, and find it funny that any kind of scientific study I read conflicts with most of the blogs on color or feng shui i have been reading lol.

erinc-I ..."TRY"...to spend more then 6-8 hours doing illustration or design work including and followed by my down time and generic time wasting on the internet, that and raising a two year old in that area...so in other words its a life imposed cage.

What I am noticing is after being at a few artist acquaintances houses and seeing their studios that certain color schemes make me feel stressed and I cant imagine how they can work in that environment..IE: bright orange!. so I know that's an area to avoid..for me.

I am trying to figure what color or shade works best for an ADD/ADHD type personality lol so far a very greyish blue is sounding best. but getting a lot of ideas from the "show your studio" thread.

I am really interested in the physiology side of this type of project, and if anyone has had any experience with what they liked and didnt. thats why I am asking on CA.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I worked in a college for students with ADD/ADHD etc and the predominant colours were pastel. My office was done in 2 pinks, a pastel baby pink and rose, I'm not a pink person so I thought I would hate it but strangely felt quite calm even though I had a stressful job. The calming colours seemed to help with the students concentration too, but that also might have been the effect of the tutors more than the colours, lol.

Personally I like earth tones like green and brown. I might try green next, makes me think of the outdoors, at the moment my bedroom/study is an off white and I find it bit boring, but it's definitely not distracting

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you are painting traditionally you might consider a warm gray about 20%
    And match it with your lights. You can geek out over this if you want; I know people who take this very seriously and spend days trying to get the ballance of lights and wall color perfect

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I painted my wall purple:
    - it's actually quite luminous when seen in real life...
    and my desk orange (but based on what you posted that might not be suitable)

It's not too practical, but the purple is very refreshing. Everywhere else in school I see gray and dull browns in the buildings and uniforms, so stepping in and having that wall full of purple always cheers me up.

Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I painted my studio an eggshell color, and that has worked out really great. The room used to be like the same hue as cadmium orange, and the bounced light from the walls in their at night made accurately judging paint colors at night almost impossible.

So I would definitely recommend going with a fairly neutral tone as the other posters have suggested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for the priceless advice, I went uber light grey. and its been great on the ol noggin as far as not being distracting

took a while to get it done as once i started i started obsessing (as I do) .. before i knew it i was removing two walls re dry walling and re carpeting...lol,.. ran out of time to put in a skylight other wise it would have been a full rounded over haul.

since then have been talking with a few others about ambient preferences for concentrating on art. like noisy restaurants or the green outdoors... one thing we noted was the outdoors had close to the the same amount of sound and commotion as a noisy restaurant when you factor in moving leaves and birds n bugs ect.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    dark purple just made me depressed

as along as its light tones and not too saturated anything is okay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Traditionally artist's studio walls are grey, you won't be able to see your art correctly if you introduce color on the wall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I printed out all the photos from the "What does everybody look like" thread and stuck them on the wall, so I can keep tabs on everybody. It's endless fun, you can draw hearts around the ones you have crushes on, or scratch the eyes out of the ones you hate, or just sit naked on your swivel chair wearing your favourite lip stick and talk to all your CA friends

20. The Following User Says Thank You to onionface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Non-glossy paint so the light won't bounce off as much. Unless you want the light to bounce off more.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would guess neutrals would be appropriate. especially if you are working traditionally.

the color of the walls will effect the way that your eye perceives the relative colors of your paintings.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.