Art: What is this body part?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What is this body part?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What is this body part?

Hey,

Can you please tell me what the tube-like highlighted body part is? It's always visible in men with muscular bodies.
    I've looked at my bone/muscle references for the upper torso and I can't seem to figure it out. All I can think of is that it is the pectoralis major just stretching over the bottom ribs' connection to the sternum. Or perhaps it is the pects just stretching over the lower muscles?

Why does it form a tube-like shape?

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lower of your lines is the lower end of the rip cage - the upper one of your lines is the end of the cast shadow that the pecs make.

Why does it form a tube-like shape?
    You see it as this.

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doh! Of course. How silly of me to not notice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You are looking at the 10'th rib, which is the landmark for placing the rib cage from the front. It is important to understand the action of the living figure that causes the anatomy to be so prominent. Youíll notice that the tenth rib on the side of the modelís body which is in compression is partially hidden by the fatty tissue surrounding the rectus abdominus. The 10íth rib on the stretching side(the one youíre seeing) is very prominent. The 10íth rib is easily seen here because not only is the oblique on top of it very thin, but the stretch of the pose is actually pushing the rib out so that its influence is felt even more. When I was placing the rib cage in this drawing I noticed that Michelangelo had even animated the rib cage, squashing the modelís left side, and stretching the modelís right, making the action that much more felt.

Since this is a drawing by Michelangelo, the anatomy is completely correct and there is no confusion due to cast shadows. You are not looking at a cast shadow from the pec. You are not looking at the pec either, since the pec is at the same level of the bottom of the sternum.

Learn anatomy! Itís awesome!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.