Too Many Pixar Sequels - Toy Story 4?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Too Many Pixar Sequels - Toy Story 4?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Too Many Pixar Sequels - Toy Story 4?

There was an interview by Tom Hanks saying that Toy Story 4 is in the works.

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/t...already-in-the

Dunno if he's being real or not but I hope not. I think Cars 2 is showing some degradation in quality I've expected from Pixar.

I found the Trilogy closed well for Toy Story so seeing a 4th one would not sit well either.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm kind of getting sick of hearing about Pixar.

Then there's this: http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40896439/ Unrelated, but it caught my attention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really hope they don't make a sequel just to sell more merchandise. I heard the third one sold a lot of merchandise.

Last edited by duetzFanz1; October 24th, 2011 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the OP. Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Monsters Inc 2, and now possibly Toy Story 4? Why so many sequels all of a sudden when they were on such an amazing roll with Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    I'm kind of getting sick of hearing about Pixar.

Then there's this: http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40896439/ Unrelated, but it caught my attention.
    That's what I was thinking! I don't know, I got quite excited about Brave, but now all I can do is hold my thumbs that they won't take away the female main character and switch her for a boy.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like Disney (who has owned them for years) has Pixar by the balls and wants to squeeze the semen out them as fast as they can. Ching ching splat splat.

Is it wrong that I didn't find TS3 all that great? The last Pixar film I really enjoyed was Up, but I thought the other ones were good...just not....'great.'

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Incredibles 2 is supposed to come out too (but not sure if true).
    :/ I wish they would stop making sequels and keep on making "single" movies.
    I hope Brave will be a good movie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Toy Story 3 was a good film, and offered closure for people who watched the first 2 as a kid, Andy grew up, the kids that watched the first two grew up, thats it guys, but remember the fun times... A fourth one just seems as an obvious way to cash in and leaves the third one as just an excuse to a add a new setting with new human characters, that kinda blows coming from them.

But nevertheless, they are a multibillion dollar corporation. If they still churn out a good new original movie every now and then, thats all good i think, they have grown a lot, producing a few sequels shouldnt put a stop to that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No way. Toy Story was a series that had a premise that lent itself to sequels, but 3 had to be the last one. There's nowhere else to go.

I had the same thought when they announced Cars 2 as well as Monsters Inc 2. Where did those stories have left to go? That's how we got the spy crap! I'm scared of what they'll do with MI!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    No way. Toy Story was a series that had a premise that lent itself to sequels, but 3 had to be the last one. There's nowhere else to go.
    This. At some point, a story is simply finished and everything tacked on afterwards is just superfluous.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    Looks like Disney (who has owned them for years) has Pixar by the balls and wants to squeeze the semen out them as fast as they can. Ching ching splat splat.

Is it wrong that I didn't find TS3 all that great? The last Pixar film I really enjoyed was Up, but I thought the other ones were good...just not....'great.'
    Not really. For a while Disney had them trained but they broke off and it's now a partnership in which Pixar makes it's decisions independently.
    A TS4 would blow..I'm really happy with how 3 ended.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think they have two motives to make two different types of movies. One is to make touching movies that anybody can relate to, to win over the parents. The other is to win over the kids and sell them toys and video games. They try to merge the two, but the result is obvious. Notice how you never see a kid with a Ratatoullie back pack. Ever notice that Cars blew. I can't talk too much shit. I used to drag my dad to see Ninja Turtles and buy me the toys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's really very disappointing. Toy Story 3 made sense, but I can't get behind another Cars movie. It just shows a lacking in the creativity that Pixar has been known for.

Ratatouille and Up are a couple of my favorite movies.

Last edited by ENNEX; July 3rd, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree it suck if they made a toy story 4. Toy story 3 did a nice job on finishing up the franchise. Brave (which is pixar's first fantasy film right?) seems like an interesting movie and I hope it turns out real good after what happened with cars 2. Though I'm tired of sequals, I can't help but feel a bit of hope that they will make a sequal to the incredibles

The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if you guys are getting burnt out on Pixar, there's always a little-known CGI movie from 2004 called Ark.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ENNEX View Post
    It's really very disappointing. Toy Story 3 made sense, but I can't get behind another Cars movie. It just shows a lacking in the creativity that Pixar has been known for.
    Lack of creativity? Nah. Greed (or at least, being the subsidiary of a publicly traded company), sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toy Story 4.....I doubt it. Its possible that this is some sort of short film that they do. Pixar are smart people, they know when not to screw with their franchises. Closure on Toy Story 3 was final. No more. Maybe a short film here or there but I can't think of any other way to add a story to something thats ended with how it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Lack of creativity? Nah. Greed (or at least, being the subsidiary of a publicly traded company), sure.
    I just had this humorous image of Disney forcing Pixar to make the next sequel with whips cracking over their head.

I am Macaw, or you may call me Terminate421, my other Online Alias. Let me blunt with this, I want to be a concept artist when I am older.

If someone could point me to a good 4 year University I would be very appreciative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of it is about money. And that they are owned by Disney.

This is a very interesting blog article about Pixar and the movie industry. http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/0...-on-happy.html

Basically it explains that while some of the Pixar films like Ratatouille, Wall-E, and UP, even though the movies did great in theaters, they were really hard to merchandise. Basically since the studio couldn't or didn't sell billions of stuff the movies were considered not as financially successful compared to Cars which still sells tons of toys even if the film is has a lower tomato rate or whatever.

And since Disney owns Pixar, I expect they have quite a bit of control over what they will finance, it makes financial sense (to Disney) to start pumping out sequel after sequel to fuel the merchandise craze.

I don't like it but if that's the price for a good movie every couple of years rather than every then I guess that's life. But if Pixar goes exclusively to sequels, I think the studio will die out.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Reutte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember when TS3 was announced and most people (including my self) were very dissapointed. Turned out that TS3 was a good movie after all. However I think three movies is really enough, it's just that the "You'll grow out of toys" story of TS3 worked so well.

Seeing Reutte's link makes me pity that a family movie has to offer merchandising to be succesful. I'm probably a part of the problem as well since I just love the old Star Wars trilogy so much even to these days that I buy sometimes some merchandise of the same movies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sequels remind me of the end of the Disney Renaissance era. After Tarzan when they started churning out rotten sequel after sequel. Lady and the Tramp 2? Cmon. Only decent one imo was Lion King 2. You start running dry you have to keep it running somehow.
    I remember years ago reading an interview with Pixar's head, don't remember his name, saying that unless they had a really truly good idea for one, they wouldn't be doing sequels unless they thought it could outmaster the first.

The people saying it's because of Disney is right. Look at the time frame of Disney getting ownership to the time frame of first talks of sequels. The only good thing is that since Disney animation doesn't have to compete with Pixar after ownership, they hired back on animation staff which was massively layed off prior.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really? Toy Story 4?
    now they're just dragging a dead horse to show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Facepalm*
    Ugh.
    Is all I can say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This seems to be something happening throughout the movie and video game industries. Each project requires such a large financial investment that fewer and fewer studios are willing to gamble on new, untested concepts. It's much easier to rely on sequels and rebooting existing brands that the public is already familiar with. Just be glad they are still creating new original brands in-between their drawn-out franchises (which is more than you can say for a lot of people).

Members who have read this thread: 1