What are your thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Obviously they deserve to have their name in the game.

Credits in general though are kind of a weird situation for me, simply because the people who made the game deserve to be credited at the end of the game, but I generally have no desire to watch them. I just kind of wait for them to finally finish and wish I could skip them... sure I read the names but most of them don't mean anything to me and I forget them right away. I'm not saying there shouldn't be credits, but at the same time I don't want to wait 10 minutes for them to scroll by.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah definitely. I usually get up and get a coffee or something while they're playing. Though it also says (i think on that page?) that they were left out of the manual's credits too. I've no experience in that industry, but do people usually use the manual as legit proof of participation in future jobs or anything if they're not allowed to show the individual works they did for the project as portfolio pieces?

Newbie question but keen to know the answer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As long as they're paid fairly, then I see no reason to complain. Especially if they were in the credits, albeit under the "Special Thanks" section.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well yeah, it's more for the benefit of the staff. I can put on my resume that I worked on a certain game and further proof lies in my name being in the credits.

It looks bad too, to be left out. A future employer might question how much you really contributed if your name was not even in the credits, rightfully or no.

At least, that's the way I see it, maybe that's too simple a viewpoint.

But also, after reading Droids post, I see his point. How much did these left out people actually contribute?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Apparently one artist had worked on the project for 4 years and left a couple years before release and was left out, yet another artist had worked on the project for one year closer to the final release and was still credited.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...I dunno man. If I worked on a project and left it several years before it was released...I think I would just be happy with a mention and the cash I was paid (if any)

I guess it all depends on the fine print.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This happens all the time, especially if peoples work gets changed or pulled from the project. The final game may contain different assets than the ones created by the people who started it and left. Work for hire is just that and while it is a courtesy to credit work companies are under no obligation to do so unless you put it in your contract. If you are too chciken to do that then you can't complain when people don't treat you fairly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats bad news for those involved, but its not an isolated case, - as a rule in places where i've worked, anyone whose had any input to the game gets a credit (even just a thanks where necessary)

my biggest peeve is <<< by default, all the people in the publishers hq get credited for every game released under their name, even though MOST of them haven't the faintest idea the game even existed, and a lot of times they get listed before the team that actually made the game....>>>that really vexes me...

with regards to future employment, hirers know these things happen, - if your portfolio clearly shows proof of you working on the game, and you have letters of reference from the company involved, then it's really no problem.

Sadly the games industry doesn't yet have unions (unlike the film industry) who would enforce rules for credits (among other things...)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mozchops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mozchops View Post
    thats bad news for those involved, but its not an isolated case, - as a rule in places where i've worked, anyone whose had any input to the game gets a credit (even just a thanks where necessary)

my biggest peeve is <<< by default, all the people in the publishers hq get credited for every game released under their name, even though MOST of them haven't the faintest idea the game even existed, and a lot of times they get listed before the team that actually made the game....>>>that really vexes me...

with regards to future employment, hirers know these things happen, - if your portfolio clearly shows proof of you working on the game, and you have letters of reference from the company involved, then it's really no problem.

Sadly the games industry doesn't yet have unions (unlike the film industry) who would enforce rules for credits (among other things...)
    This is a good as place as any to say this, though a little off topic. The reason you don't sell yourself short or lower working standards or give up more rights for less pay is it leads to these kinds of things.

The industry has itself to blame. People want to work in the games industry so bad they will sign and do anything and then complain when someone else undercuts them for the same work.

Last edited by dpaint; June 27th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Why Did L.A. Noire Take Seven Years to Make?"

Good point Dpaint,
    btw
    i saw this coverage of the LA NOIRE development hell story --->>>>

Why Did L.A. Noire Take Seven Years to Make?
    Examining the troubled development of Team Bondi's opus.

... essential reading for anyone interested in the vide-game biz, a reality uplick to the head

"Recently, a group of former Team Bondi employees launched a public website with an amended staff roll for L.A. Noire that includes 100 developers omitted from the official game credits. But the look behind the curtain started much earlier. On January 23 2010, an anonymous source on Twitter began leaking stories heard through the grapevine regarding the Sydney-based studio. The account wasn't run by an ex-employee; it was anonymously dishing the dirt on Bondi as heard through unnamed sources, Wikileaks-style. "

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mozchops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Team Bondi is headed by Douche bags, that treat employees like crap.
    I don't mind saying it out aloud coz every one in Aussie already knows it.
    And I've had my own personal experience with them.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to onionface For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.