Art: Feedback about my portfolio please?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Feedback about my portfolio please?

Hello all,

I wanted to know what your opinions are about the work I've done so far as a current design student. What can I do to improve? Anything that I can maybe look into more? Those are maybe the top questions I have in mind but I appreciate anything helpful in the critique.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53219026@N08/sets/

Thank you in advance!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you certainly have some skill and natural talent for design. being a current student, just continue your projects and approach each one as a portfolio piece. you can decide what is worthy at the end of your time at school.

your typography treatments remind me of Dylan Roscover http://gorosco.com/ im sure you would like his work.

the important thing for students is to try something new whenever you can. if you did a grunge design last month, try a minimalist style next month (if the project material allows. always be appropriate) you have no briefs or clients holding back your decisions. be curious, explore, and never stop learning. it look like you're very much on the right path now

BrandMooreArt
    http://brandmooreart.daportfolio.com/
    Twitter: @BrandMooreArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I've also looked at Roscover's work, I definitely like his work! The flow in his design and also the layering of the typographic work. I'll definitely try my hardest to do so, I've attempted to do a different themed stationary per month for the moment to get myself working on things.

I've looked through your website as well and I want to say that your logo work is awesome as it gets right to the point without too much detail. I have a hard time trying to simplify and get to the "raw" material of the subject or the essence. I tend to add too much and don't know which is important to keep and what can be taken out.

Are there any resources or maybe places you'd recommend for showing work/or trying to get small client projects?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    most of your concerns, you just learn through time. logos and branding is my main thing, but i was HORRIBLE when i first started! lol. and i was a classmate of Roscover's, not everything he did was as good as the Obama or Jobs posters, but now everything he touches is gold! like i said, just keep learning

for showing your work id recommend Behance.net and DeviantArt.com and im going to go back to Rosco here, his Obama poster was used in Time magazine as a table-of-contents for one of their issues. the editor found it browsing DeviantArt.

for clients, Freelancefolder.com has plenty of articles that you can read through on that subject, as there is no easy or short answer

BrandMooreArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, kk. One of the designers at the school I go to said that trying to figure out which is good and which is bad is the hard part. Though, a friend of mine said that if it's worth putting in a national magazine, it's probably good. What do you think of that statement?

Really?! I have a hard time believing that after seeing the logos in your portfolio. Now, that's really neat, how would you say his logo work was like when you were in school together (maybe starting out?)?

Mm, alrighty! Yeah...my problem is that I've posted through flickr and facebook, nowhere else. Haha, though the thought of DeviantArt makes me think of middle school and high school days since I've been there during those times. I am...reconsidering opening my account though and doing a major update of work.

I've started skimming the pages and it looks really resourceful! Thank you for the sources. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    weeding out your own work is hard. its strange. i tend to overlook things in my own work i catch right away in others. tangents or alignment issues. getting the opinions of others helps a lot. if it would go in a national mag yea its probably good, but it dosnt make the judging of your own work any easier. its hard to say what would go into a magazine.

Dylan's typography work is what i was referring to, i dont think he does any logos. but hes really well rounded. his first projects were good, and he just lacked in some typography basics, as everyone does when starting out, but he stepped it up so far so quickly, it was crazy. every month instructors showed his work as inspiration to other classes. other students were the same way. 1 month you'd see someone do an okay poster design, then the next month all the projects were 10x better. its strange to see the progression sometimes.

the important thing is just to get your work out there. anywhere. i know how you feel about DA, but some great artist/designers are there too. Kerim Beyit, Ann Stokes, Vegas Mike. even some of my former instructors too.

BrandMooreArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, i had browsed through your portfolio and i can see a lot of areas where I think you could do with some improvement/changes (I am sure you will learn a lot of this in your school/college).

Since i can't spare the effort of time to go over every area i think needs some changing/improving, ill just give you some general advice. Remember you design principles (alignment, repetition, contrast, balance and hiearchy). Should be able to find out what they all mean with a simple google search. I noticed that almost all the problems in your work boiled down to these main principles, so just keep them in mind in your future work.

Graphic design, Illustration, Photography. Australia.

LinkedIn

Members who have read this thread: 1