Sketchbook: Galaxypa's SKetch book
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Galaxypa's SKetch book

Hello my name is Melissa Peterson and I live in PA, USA. I go to the AI of York that is located by the Maryland and PA border. MY field is animation/Media arts. I hope to work one day in the movie or game world as a animation artist or a concept artist.
    For the past 5 years I found my self glued to the screen playing WoW and just wasting my life. I realized that no matter the epic pixies i get, it did not help me in the real world. Seeing people with amazing talents and how they improve by sketchbooks and just practice, i dropped the childish addiction (may) and i picked up my pencil. It is time to get better!

The one thing i notice is that i get into these "mood" Where I can sit down and draw for hours and MAKE something that i am proud of. My goal is to harness this and use this thing all the time and become Amazing and start making art that a professional film or video concept artist would do. (I remember sitting at blizzcon watching some artists and my mouth hit the ground. )

Anyways Right now i am looking into improving anatomy which i HAVE gone a long way from where i WAS at, but it still has a ways to go. Im trying to range my art from realism, to cartoon, to just every type. I'm not big on anime that much even though i watch it. You really cant get a job in USA for being able to draw anime. I want to be able to master different types.

Thank you so much!

dev art -http://galaxypa.deviantart.com/ (will find some finish art ranging from ones i'm proud of and some early works of practices if you would like to comment more

Note : The way my sketch book is, I have to use a camera. Also I am using my home computer and scanner since I am home for the summer (2 weeks to go) and my amazing scanner and computer is at my condo where i live.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by galaxypa; June 26th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are some more sketches that I did, focusing on gester and animals. Im looking to get forms and how to get everything right before moving onto shading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to CA and starting a sketchbook - Like you, I'm concentrating on the basics, but I can see the difference between the horse head in the first post and the horse head in the second. The gestures look good, something that I'm trying to concentrate on myself..

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more updates . I look forward to seeing you grow as an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the forums, I would suggest you check out http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/index.php and do a class. I usually do a half hour to an hour a day.

They say 30 second drawings help you warm up. And I believe you should do it for at least 5 minutes a day. I like the "class" feature of the link, because it starts off with fast sketching and gets you ready for a longer drawing, with breaks built into the timer.

Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VengePool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Very much for stopping by. That website will help me so much! I will make sure i sketch everyday for at least 5 mins for warms up. The one thing i noticed with my art, is that i tend to have my subjects/ i draw facing left and hardly have any facing to the right. So i am working on getting comfortable. with drawing on the right side. With these sketches i was focusing on making full drawings (the dragon) and parts of the face "nose eyes" since i got a book at the library about drawing heads. In the next sketch upload im going to add some full heads with emotions ranging from cartoonist to releasm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem, keep up the drawing!
    Also, drawing books can be really sub par at times leaving you with bad habits which can be really hard to break.
    Google "save loomis" should be the first link to come up. In my 15 years of drawing on and off these are the best books I have seen by far.
    Hope it helps even more ^.^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by VengePool View Post
    No problem, keep up the drawing!
    Also, drawing books can be really sub par at times leaving you with bad habits which can be really hard to break.
    Google "save loomis" should be the first link to come up. In my 15 years of drawing on and off these are the best books I have seen by far.
    Hope it helps even more ^.^
    Thank you a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxypa View Post
    Thank you a lot!
    Hey no problem, just promise me when you make it big....you'll give me lessons ^.^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by VengePool View Post
    Hey no problem, just promise me when you make it big....you'll give me lessons ^.^
    heh /fingers crossed.
    That is my dream. become big and we well known

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some sketches and some water color that i have done in the past week. I was cleaning up my room trying to get everything in order and make it more clearer to do art since its a mess. I found a old tablet of water color paper that i got at high school so the paper is not the best I also found some water color that i got the same way. So i though, why not use it up to clear space and make some practice and some really cool art.

Thanks for taking a look and all the amazing feedback you guys give! It helps so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a Charcoal horse that i did in my first term at AI York that i just stuck into a cheap frame. I should of took the photo before hand but i dont want to take it out and risk a smear. Sorry for the glare.

This is what i talk about when i get into this mind set that lets me draw amazing. I LOVEEEE this thing and can NOT believe that i drew it. I want to get better so i always draw like this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got this really coolr book by Matt Dixon "The Fantasy artist's figure drawing bible" and it is amazing and really opened my eyes. I see the line art that looks almost like mine but a bit better then what it looks like colored and it just blew my mind. So im starting to now only sketch but color in photoshop and try new thing.

So here is the image i did in photoshop

I was listening to some Hawaii music and this is what came out. I cant believe how far i have come. I thanks Eskiworks stream and oceans for teaching me new ways. I have a way to go. You notice some anatomy is "ehh" and the person's color scheme is kinda off from the water. but still. im happy with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is another one i did in photoshop based off a sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another sketch i did today trying to get more action into my figuers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice picture - Be good to see how you develop it.

Keep studying and apply it to your imagination drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think i did pretty will for my 3rd time coloring in photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first week back to school, with 2 classes where i will be drawing and animating alot. So I am going to post right in in this single post just a FEW things for one of my projects.

This is what i have done SO FAR! These are the concept story broads that we will be handing in next week to get improved. After That we work on character concepts/design and then backgrounds.

The background will look like what you see here with a better more realistic tree design since i want to improve that and stop drawing the same cartoonist trees.

The squirrel and the (up coming crows) will change as well.

Please note that THERE IS CLIPPING SINCE IM DOING THEM ON A LARGE PAPER.

I am using 2 scanners to do this since half was done at my dorm and the others in my house.

The story is already set and i had to cut it down as i drew these frames out since the animation will only be 10 secs. We can go a bit over that if need be.

I am listening to all your advice you will give me for this set project, though due to the time, it wont be shown on this but on others. Now if you say hey "here is some pics of a tree that i think would go well" or something like that, then sure. But everything is pretty set in stone.

I love your feedback don't get me wrong, IT is just that with time I have, i cant get away from what i have on paper. I have ANOTHER 45 sec animation that im working with a team with due as well at the same time. So i really don't have time to change everything around.

PS: I will post concepts and all on that. Though im only working on the backgrounds for the 45-1 min animation. Everything is due in 11 weeks.

Pss: The finals will not be this sketch and more defined.

Story, Takes place in a backyard where squirrel runs down a tree to find a nut. As he is pounding and messing with the nut a white glob falls down. He screams "THe sky is falling!" and runs around in a circle. He slows down after a few times to calm down and catch his breath. Then some more globs fall down and he leaps onto the tree hugging it for dear life. "oh god oh god!" As he looks up crows are pointing at him and laughing "HAHA, What is the matter? IS the sky falling?" They laugh some more and cuts back to the squirrel with a annoyed expression.

Last edited by galaxypa; July 15th, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINISHED STORYBOARD. this will have to be 10 secs long.. But the way it looks, it will be over it by a few seconds.
    script
    Scene opens up to show a backyard that is fenced in with white fence. There are trees with bird house hanging or nailed to the trees. A garden sits in the back of the yard with different type of vegetables growing.

A extreme long shot of a squirrel is shown as he runs down the oak tree and follows the squirrel to the nut. We see him come to a stop in front of the nut to look at it. The camera will turn to a back view 2/3rd quarter of the squirrel as he leans down and picks it up knocking on it and biting it.

The camera will them move to a 2/3rd view of the front of the squirrel as a large white glob comes down from the top of the frame and lands on the head of the squirrel’s head. The white glob slides down in different directions of his face with the squirrel’s eyes round.
    The camera pops back to the extreme long shot of the side of the squirrel. After about a second of thinking he flings his hands up and runs in a circle
    “THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING” repeated a few times
    He calms down and takes a few breaths as he stands still. Three more globs come into the frame and land on the squirrel..He takes off and jumps onto the tree hugging it. The Camera then will travel up the tree. When the camera is about half way up the tree, laughter will be heard.

On the one branch sits three crows looking down at him laughing. One of the crows wears a hat, pointing to him that he is the main crow of the three. He stops his laughing to speak to the crow.
    “I hear the sky is falling? Poor little squirrel.”
    Breaking out into a laugh with his wing pointed at him. We view the crows with a camera that is tilted up into the branches.
    The camera pops back to the squirrels face with an annoyed look. In the background you hear the leader of the crows.
    “I guess they were right about you are what you eat!”
    More laughter filling the frames as it cuts out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my blue lead! I am super happy! I just need to stop being lazy and use black after it! My scanner does not like scanning blue pencil

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.