Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Is anyone else disappointed in Duke Nukem Forever?

I love the shooters but this game is a mess in almost every aspect. What happened? Fourteen years for that? Now their PR department is threatening sites that give it bad reviews LOL. What??? Or am I just digging a hole here and should be keeping my mouth shut? I mean, I think I have a right to complain if I've been waiting this long for such a sequel.
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBobo View Post
    Fourteen years for that?
    Well, that's what a game gets for being redone 320839289 times through different companies. It's actually a surprise this game actually came out considering how much it has gone through.

Thanks
    I just can't believe that was OK'd.
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

Thanks
    I just can't believe that was OK'd.
    I think after 14 years of having somewhat of a game completed but cursed by management, Gearbox just wanted it to be over with and make the best of what they had. It was only because of its reputation that created such a big hype for it, more than what a game (that has gone through hell) can deliver.

Let's be honest; it isn't the worst to come out in the history of video games. There are a lot more games out there which are clearly worse. I don't think this will be the last we hear of Nukem either and, hopefully, next time it won't have ideas stemming past over a decade old.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chow View Post
    I think after 14 years of having somewhat of a game completed but cursed by management, Gearbox just wanted it to be over with and make the best of what they had. It was only because of its reputation that created such a big hype for it, more than what a game (that has gone through hell) can deliver.

Let's be honest; it isn't the worst to come out in the history of video games. There are a lot more games out there which are clearly worse. I don't think this will be the last we hear of Nukem either and, hopefully, next time it won't have ideas stemming past over a decade old.
    Make the best of what they had? It would take common sense not to release a game in 2011 that looks like a game intended for '98. I don't buy it.
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

Thanks
    common sense
    Tell that to people who made Superman 64 or the incredibly giant list of games that people will never be remembered because they were released without "common sense". I think it was even smarter for Gearbox to do it because there was a clear market of people who really likes Duke.

Quality has nothing to do with whether something gets released or not; not everything that gets released has to be 90% on IGN. It never has. DNF is really not a special case and it won't be the last game to disappoint fans (me included). I even think it has a better excuse than most high production games that end up like this.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    I am not sure what you expected Duke Nukem to be?
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've said too much.
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    No, I don't think so. The reviews I read all agreed with you, RoboBobo. I was offered a copy for my birthday and declined on that account.

I got a new machine with a nice graphics card at Christmas; before that, I was limping along with some very old tech. I'm so impressed with the current state of games graphics. I'm almost through my second pass of Dead Space 2, and this time I quickly kill of the monsters and then slowly walk around staring at stuff.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    This gives you some insight on what happened in production

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I heard that it was going to be released after all I was really happy. Personally I think it's foolish to have expected it to be a "good game" by modern standards. After having a production history like that, you can't really expect it to be brilliant. I see it more as a salute to all the people who poured so many hours of their time into the games creation.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Was never really that excited about it. Just didn't think it would be that good. I mean the humor is a satire on the overly macho 80's-90's action hero, the entire character himself is kind of anachronistic. It's kind of like making a Titanic or Matrix joke, people just look at you and go "really? dude come on". The story, character, graphics and humor are all outdated

Thing is, this could all be easily forgiven if the gameplay were actually good. People will argue that the 12 year development time mean it would never live up to people's expectations, but even if that were true, it would still be possible for it to be a good game. I played the demo a few days before it came out and I wasn't very impressed. The controls were clunky, you died way too easily, the pacing felt off, you were restricted to only carrying 2 weapons (look I realize being able to carry an entire arsenal single handedly isn't exactly realistic, but come on, being a one man army would actually work considering Duke's over the top personality) it was just a bland game in general, I beat the demo, then had absolutely no desire to play it again. The fact that it was the sequel to a beloved 90s shooter that took 12 years to create was just the final nail in the coffin
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I totally agree with what you guys are saying. The production went through a crap storm. My question is why release it to the public? They would've been better off starting fron scratch with something fresh. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect something marvelous, but when they talked mass trash about Halo and Gears being overrated, then release what they did...yeah. Its just love for fps's is all Conversation over. Just felt like venting.
    Last edited by RoboBobo; June 26th, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    How could you be disappointed? There was never a chance this game would be anything more than horrible. I can't even look at a promo image for it without vomiting a little.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    How could you be disappointed? There was never a chance this game would be anything more than horrible. I can't even look at a promo image for it without vomiting a little.
    Well, Duke Nukem 3d was fantastic so i think a lot of people who bought the new Duke Nukem were hoping for something that pays homage to Duke3d. It's hard to appreciate the Duke humor though without previously having experience playing Duke 3d when it launched. "Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm all out of gum"

Even though i loved Duke3d, I didn't buy this one. The reviews came in a few days before it launched and it was getting nothing but 5/10 and 6/10 which by game review standards is pretty bad, so i cancelled my preorder.

It's surprising gearbox couldn't rescue it tho. They made Borderlands which is an absolutely great game. I guess they couldn't rescue it from what was already there though. From what i hear they just took what was already done to it and just sort of tied up the loose ends, but it's supposedly a game still full of assets and work thats over 5 years old.

But yeah, i'm glad i dodged this title. And i'm glad this thread is allowed to be in the lounge. The entertainment subforum is dead. It's nice to be able to have video game talk.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The perfect game to play while you listen to Chinese Democracy.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm all out of gum
    Even that isn't original

They Live - a John Carpenter movie of 1988.

According to IMDb:
    The line "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum" was ad-libbed by Roddy Piper. According to director John Carpenter, Piper had taken the line from a list of ideas he had for his pro wrestling interviews.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interestingly enough, I got a little more open to the idea of Duke Nukem Forever being good after I played Bulletstorm. It showed me that lackluster story, overly macho protagonists, over the top violence and ridiculous (but funny) amounts of swearing won't bog down a game that has some solid mechanics in its favor, in some cases it actually adds to its charm. Duke Nukem Forever was a product of poor execution

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    While we're on the topic of duke, which is made by gearbox; Does anyone play borderlands?
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm all out of gum
    Even that isn't original
    That always pissed me off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    ridiculous (but funny) amounts of swearing
    I never understood why people find this funny. I can do it too. Motherfucking shit fuck bitch fuck. It's really not that funny at all.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    While we're on the topic of duke, which is made by gearbox; Does anyone play borderlands?
    I used to play borderlands. Why you ask?
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    It seems as if this was a wasted endeavor, and I'm a fan of Duke Nukem 3D. (Both the PC and Nintendo 64 versions, I might add.) Might I suggest that we check out Zero Hour and Manhattan Project.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    It was made so people would quit saying "Out before Dukue Nuke'Em Forever"

Thanks
    I never understood why people find this funny. I can do it too. Motherfucking shit fuck bitch fuck. It's really not that funny at all.
    Well they used extremely colorful language. Maybe it's just me but I laughed when they said "well now, hold your dick for one second ya fungal rimjob"

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    I get to sit next to this horrific thing at the bus stop, every day X_X.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    ^ Those girls' faces look so blank.

I've never heard of this game nor was I expecting it... But fourteen fucking years?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Someone needs to take a sharpie to that poster.

Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    ^ Those girls' faces look so blank.

I've never heard of this game nor was I expecting it... But fourteen fucking years?
    Basically George Broussard, the head honcho of 3dRealms, would get a hard on everytime unreal or quake released a new engine. He'd force the staff to scrap all their work and pick up the pieces and stuff them into the new design. Problem is, once he'd bought the rights to the latest engine, another one came out and round and round he went.

Eventually some of the luckier staff were able to move on. The rest hung about until the company collapsed under the weight of egos, lawsuits and money trouble. The game was picked up by another developer who made a quick couple of bucks.

The hilarity of its development time made the game legendary enough to actually warrant release after almost two decades.

Shocker: It sucked.
    Last edited by Mike Tenebrae; June 28th, 2011 at 04:15 AM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I got to try my hand at it. For my boyfriend and I, it was not worth waiting for most of our lives so far for it.
    And having a strip club dedicated to it wasn't worth it either.
    My friend summed it up best: "I have been waiting for this since I was about 5 years old. And there is a certain limit to the amount of tits, violence, and dirty humor you can fit into a game. This went shooting past that boundary in the first few minutes"

Thanks
    Even if DNF had been done right I really don't think it would have fared any better. Duke is a relic of the past. As much as I liked him I don't see how he or his story could transcend to anything grander today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast