Creating portfolio, need suggestions for sub categories.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Creating portfolio, need suggestions for sub categories.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Creating portfolio, need suggestions for sub categories.

I know this is the lamest topic title ever. Im gathering my pieces to create a portfolio. I have pieces from photos (commercial to personal) illustrations (mostly personal) , graphics (logo to whatever sub category there is) and animations.

My problem is, in case of Illustrations, i know just posting my personal pieces will simply wont cut it. So i would like to know what illustration portfolios should contain. Can you name the sub categories such as anatomical studies to environmental etc.

I also dont want to put everything within my portfolio. So i would really appreciate if you can point out the reasons why these sub categories should be implemented. What would be the benefit if i can provide such pieces.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: I want to work as an concept artist. But im realistic, in a way i would rather set my goal on entering as a " junior position ".

Last edited by Gardain; June 24th, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not that I'm the expert, but...

I don't really see what you're asking. If you want to be a concept artist then why put illustrations in your portfolio? That won't be part of your job. You should probably focus on making categories like, "characters," "creature design," and "enviroments".

And what's wrong with your personal pieces?

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well thanks ive noted the categories you mentioned.

Its not that there are something wrong with them imho. But i think there should be some expectations met while browsed. Meaning what i draw as personal is something i think is ok for my self. But if a director of a studio would look to a portfolio, he/she might not be in to the stuff that im in to. He/she would rather be looking for techniques i guess. So im expecting suggestions on what sort of presentations would strengthen my portfolio.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Concept art portfolios should have a clear understanding of environment, character, creature and hardware design. That means turn arounds for the last three, and some thmbnails to finish to show process. A couple of personal pieces to show your range is okay but mostly they want to see your skill level. So if you can't do those things well, then you won't get the job.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ dpaint

Thank you very much. Thats one of the answer i was looking for. If there are any tip that anyone can share with me regarding these categories, i would be thankfull.

Like say, is there any downfalls i should avoid while working on any of these sections.? Is there any "must have" pieces that i should include in to my portfolio?

thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardain View Post
    @ dpaint

Thank you very much. Thats one of the answer i was looking for. If there are any tip that anyone can share with me regarding these categories, i would be thankfull.

Like say, is there any downfalls i should avoid while working on any of these sections.? Is there any "must have" pieces that i should include in to my portfolio?

thank you
    Well, do what you like. If you like hardware moe than enviro's don't do enviro's cause you think you'll get a job.

Make sure every piece is as good as the others. If you suck at characters then don't include them. While its better to do a lot of things well. If you aren't good at a lot of things, then put in what you do well and leave the other stuff out. Really, its about how well you draw and paint and how good your ideas are. Don't try to second guess too much.
    Have enough stuff to show you love the process but make sure they are all top notch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.