Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts

Unexpected moments that have stood out in your life?

Are there any unexpected moments that have stood out in your life?

I was talking with a friend and we were discussing how sometimes the smallest things have changed the courses of our lives or how we think. I dont mean it in a negative way, but maybe something that inspired you to move away from home, make a life change, or a value change, etc.

Maybe some random event, or something someone said that stuck with you and inspired change, or even something that seemed bad at the time that turned out to change your life in a good way.

Things that have had an impact that maybe didn't seem like they would at the time. I have, personally, at several times and its always interesting in hindsight looking back on those moments that were seemingly small at the time that made a big splash. I'm just curious to hear if others have experienced this.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    ...?

I've...led such a...boring life... Lemme think about it a while...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    My Grandfather apparently was a pretty amazing artist, was told he was either the youngest or one of the youngest to graduate from the Chicago Art institute.

When I was really little like 7 years old he encouraged me and showed me some simple tips to help me draw a bit better. From chicken scratch flat drawings to entering into 3 dimensional and stuff like that. That simple lesson started to really get me into drawing when I was younger I probably would have quit before I was 11. He's gone now, and I've only met my Grandfather about 4 times in my life. But I still remember some of his simple little hints.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I remember my dad singing this loud stupid song to my mom in a department store. Everyone we passed would just smile and laugh, but I was extremely embarrassed.
    Then I wondered why I felt so embarrassed, and realized I take life too seriously.

Now I do the same kind of stupid things in public.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ryan K For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    A guy and I broke up once and I was in the PATH system in Toronto and I guess I was feeling pretty miserable at the time. A homeless man was walking by with his dog and said "why such sad eyes?" and I realized that maybe things weren't as bad as they seemed at the time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I've had a lot of odd moments where the lightbulb goes off and i suddenly feel less stupid. I remember back when i was about 13, i was playing diablo 1. I'd made a sorceror character and gotten all the way to hell level.

I'd been rushing through the game and had neglected to work on getting my spells upgraded, and getting a vast assortment of them. Well i got to the last boss of the game, excitedly, and had to give up on the last level and restart because i hadn't properly prepared for the end of the game because i just rushed through it. Oddly enough, that was the moment in my life when i was like "Shit... i really need to plan ahead better. I need to think things out before i do them or i'll waste a lot of time." and for whatever reason that moment has stuck with me.

Another odd moment i never expected would stick with me was when i was complaining to a roomate of mine about something... i can't remember what, but i remember it was pretty insignificant and i was over exaggerating the seriousness of it. I think i was in a pissy mood at the time but i asked my roomate "how do u deal with all the small shit piling up like this?" and he said "dude, the world is what you make of it". And again, for whatever reason that's stuck with me since.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    I always remember hearing coqui frogs as a child when I went to sleep. My dad had a tape of them from when he live in Puerto Rico an I was the regular kid who wouldn't go to sleep. My dad would start playing them and stroke my hair until I fell asleep.
    Another one was my first "Art Studio", once again by my dad. He bought me one of those fisher price easels and some acrylic paints and brushes. I told him to sit down an proceeded to paint him. That really stands out for some reason. I wonder if he still has the painting

Thanks
    In Ireland during your final exams for Irish, you have to hold a conversation with an examiner for 15 or so minutes. We were practicing in class one day, when my teacher asked me some question that I didn't know how to answer. When I told him that he kind of shook his head and said, "It's about confidence. It doesn't matter if you get it wrong, what matters is that you aren't afraid to try"

He was such a cool teacher, full of life lessons and stuff. I just hope the examiner feels the same!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    I'm afraid the ones that I can remember are just negative.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    I'm afraid the ones that I can remember are just negative.
    *hug*

I guess a turning point for me when I was a kid was when I was about 11 or 12 maybe younger I think and I'd always been obsessed with art and crafts. That year for Christmas out the blue my parents got me the biggest art supply pack I'd ever seen (at that point), watercolours, brushes canvases an easel and paper...etc, the whole hog.

Later when I was in art college and not doing well my dad tried to convince me to move back home do something 'practical' like join the forces like him and my brother. At one low point I even seriously considered it, I did move home and got an assortment of weird/mind numbing jobs but I stubbornly carried on drawing remembering that at one point in my life they had high hopes for me as an artist.
    Last edited by Angel Intheuk; June 24th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,722 Times in 4,628 Posts
    I must have been about 3 and my younger brother 2. We were living in Malaysia, and out neighbour offered us puppies. We took 2 into the house. My mother took one look, bathed us in neat antiseptic and then the puppies, also de-ticking them. While she was cleaning the puppies I noticed she had blue eyes for the first time.

Then we went and got the other 2 puppies.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    2 things:

I remember being 14-15 and taking my artwork that I was SO proud of around to comic artists and asking their opinions. Keep in mind, this was before the internet. There was no place like ConceptArt.org (you kids are so fucking spoiled, and I mean that) or anything even remotely similar. All I had up until that point as far as 'crit' was my Art teacher (junior high level) and my family. So naturally everything I did was "AMAZING!".

So I took my art around and I don't even remember who it was...and after looking at it, one artist said "This looks nice. Do you want to feel good about yourself or do you want to know what I really think about it? I ask, because you look at about a crossroads where you will either be incredibly offended by what I say, or you will actually take my advice and use it to get better". At the time, I was like "Sure! Tell me what you think!".

And I remember being CRUSHED. He hated everything, said it was all wrong. And he was right! Both about how bad I felt, but also it was exactly what I needed to know on how to get better. It was the point where my ATTITUDE changed about art. Which is the most important.

The 2nd is working at a Subway-type place in Kansas in Highschool and watching all of the seniors from the previous year go to work at Boeing, the farms, or take residence in their local bars or similar hangouts (where they remain to this day).

I now realize that was the point where I realized I refused to get stuck in fucking Kansas and make something of myself.

(no offense to any farmers in kansas. It's hard work and they make it so I have food on the table. But it's not a happy job for me).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    my moment was about 1 year ago that was when I finaly realized ( and dont underestimate the power of REALIZING something in comparison to somhow thinking to know about something) what I want to be in life, or better to say when I finaly had the courage to face it ... I felt so secure since this time because I now know what to do ...get better in art - its as simply as this, now I can work every day with a specific goal to make my dream come true and to work with art for the rest of my life and be a very happy guy

so long
    Seb

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hmmm... I don't have any single life changing or memorable events.... but I'm told that stuff I've been doing with myself in general is not very run of the mill. I always seem to be up to something.

Thanks
    When I started working at a fast food joint where my employers and co-workers and customers all treated me like bottom-of-your-shoe-crap. After 8 months I still didn't have a single friend or feel comfortable there. And after my manager denied me a meagre 12 cent raise because apparently I didn't work fast enough for them, I decided that maybe I should get my butt going back to school or learn to enjoy being treated like dirt at crappy low wage jobs like this forever.
    So I quit right there, went and got a slightly better job as a cashier in retail, and have currently finished my first year of schooling for animation.
    A typical story, yeah, but that fast food joint really did set a fire under my butt.

Thanks
    When I was young, I went to a party. There I met a girl who wanted to make out with me. So we did. That was unexpected! Nice unexpected! A real confidence builder!

I've been married for the last 40 years or so, so I haven't been able to make much use of my enhanced confidence.

People don't do unexpected things around me very much. It's been a real disappointment.

It's probably for the best, though.

Oh, were we talking about art?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Most of my life has been pretty random. My mother was talking to someone who asked about the family, she mentioned that I was thinking about accountancy, so he gave me a job. Six years later went away on a tennis holiday, met someone who asked if I fancied working in London - off I went and stayed there for 15 years. Joined a snooker club because I was bored and met my husband. Moved house, fed up with commuting, open local paper - local job advertised. Been there 10 years now, it's about time something else random happened.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I was in college for graphic design, posting my crap drawings on the Elder Scrolls forums when someone linked me to CA.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    I discovered lucid dreaming through some ad on the Yahoo homepage that said something like "Is it possible to control your dreams?" And lucid dreaming opened the door to me for all sorts of self exploration and philosophy.

Also I bought Tool's Lateralus used at a store on vacation because I thought the cover was interesting. That album introduced me to progressive music, and really cultivated my interest in more obscure genres (not that Tool are obscure, but they were my gateway band.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    When I was about 8 I remember being caught smack bang in the middle of a thunderstorm when I stayed behind after school to play on the jungle gym. I sheltered in this large concrete cylinder type thing and watched the whole thing from that circular frame. A few bolts must've landed within a range of around 15-20 meters or so, I saw them clear as anything. It was the most frightening and spectacular thing I had ever seen in my life! I remember vividly the lightening bolts were bright purple up close and lit the area up like day for that fraction of a sec, and the Thunder that followed was like a god damn bomb went off a few feet away!

Another thing happened just a few years ago was when I saw a white rainbow. They only appear at night and the conditions we happen to see it where textbook since I've read up a little about them since. We were traveling through rural areas of NZ at the time so there are no lights on the road and all the townships knock off around 9. There was a fine mist in the air, no clouds and it was a full moon (the only noticeable light source). We had been traveling for a bout 4 - 5 hours and got out to have a piss, cousin noticed it first. That is one piss on the side of the road I will never forget! heh!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    My memory is embarrassingly terrible.

Thanks
    It's not art related, but it's something I'll never forget. I was about 10 I think... so 12 years ago, my best friend (at the time) made me steal some Pokemon coins* from another guy in our class. He left them under his desk, so it was really easy. Go there, grab them and put them in your bag. And I did it. I knew it was wrong, but my friend, the coolest guy in the class assured me it's not a big deal. I regret this ever since. In the end, the other guy found out about me stealing his stuff. It turns out my friend used the pouch the coins were stored to keep his money and the other guy recognized it. Then my friend admitted everything and we had to give back the coins to the guy. But I already traded most of them with my brother and other friends so I had nothing to return, except for few coins that I liked really much. I didn't want to give him my own coins. After a week or so the guys forgot about the coins. But I never did. I will never steal anything again. The coins were worth like $10 or something, but I felt like the biggest crap in the world. I still keep some of the coins to remind me about that. It's like a scar that will never heal So... this little and childish event left a profound mark on my life.

*These are the coins I'm talking about... they looked way cheaper ten years ago:

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    It's not art related, but it's something I'll never forget. I was about 10 I think... so 12 years ago, my best friend (at the time) made me steal some Pokemon coins* from another guy in our class. He left them under his desk, so it was really easy. Go there, grab them and put them in your bag. And I did it. I knew it was wrong, but my friend, the coolest guy in the class assured me it's not a big deal. I regret this ever since. In the end, the other guy found out about me stealing his stuff. It turns out my friend used the pouch the coins were stored to keep his money and the other guy recognized it. Then my friend admitted everything and we had to give back the coins to the guy. But I already traded most of them with my brother and other friends so I had nothing to return, except for few coins that I liked really much. I didn't want to give him my own coins. After a week or so the guys forgot about the coins. But I never did. I will never steal anything again. The coins were worth like $10 or something, but I felt like the biggest crap in the world. I still keep some of the coins to remind me about that. It's like a scar that will never heal So... this little and childish event left a profound mark on my life.

When I was 6 or 7, I remember stealing a ice cream bar, and feeling like shit, afterwards.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    I was in college, out drinking, like every other normal weekend. Somehow I managed to drink way too much and lost control. I locked myself into the bathroom and fainted wilst puking. I would have drowned in it if this fellow college student didn't manage to pick the lock and drag me out there. Seriousy, she wasn't even in my class. I didn't even know her. And she cared enough to help me. I heard everybody though I was about to die and this tough guy was acctually crying for me too.
    This changed my really low faith in humanity for the better.
    Of course this has changed a bit back now, having several negative influences since this happened.. still, it's better than it used to be.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    You picked a harsh way to learn right from wrong, but now you know.

"the edge… there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Rusty, was the rainbow created from your piss vapor? That's pretty damn spectacular!

I remember when I was very young, maybe around seven or eight. At school we used to have cross year battles against the older kids, usually just resulting in being thrown around a bit. I remember one time I sneaked up behind a much bigger kid and jumped up to grab him round the neck (not meaning to really cause him harm, more to just cling on). I missed and ended up scratching him across the face and eyes and he doubled over crying. In that instant my world was flipped as suddenly I saw the guy from the higher year as barely any different to myself when before he had seemed like an adult in comparison. I'm not entirely sure what the emotion I felt was, but it felt like a mixture of victorious delight, confusion, pity and realization packed into a split second. I actually think it was a really good lesson that I learned from that, although I feel a bit sorry for the guy that helped me learn it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts

Optimus Prime was my best imaginary friend when I was little (lonely child I was). I had the figure pictured above as well, and I would play with him often. Now, this Prime was rather special - he did not lead Autobots (I didn't have any others around besides him), but he led a band of ragtag vigilante toys that would ride inside his trailer. Said vigilante squad changed members often due to injuries or deaths, but Prime stayed. He was the leader after all. They served justice countless times, stopping at nothing to prevent the spread of crime.

Prime was also very well-loved. Sadly, even as a child I was a real snob about articulation, and so one day I managed to break one of his arms. I was just frustrated, tried to bend the other, and that broke too. At first I thought nothing of it, and Vigilante Prime continued his battles day and night. Some years later, most of the vigilante squad were sold, given new homes, or otherwise thrown away. I was sure Prime still fought crime alone, even when he was kept in the closet. I forgot about him some time after that.

Eventually he had to be given away. I was hesitant to, but I had to. When I brought him out of storage and looked at those cold, unfeeling plastic eyes I realized that I had done something terrible back then. He was a very important friend to me, and I broke his limbs and lost nearly all of his accessories. For the first time I was awashed in soul-crushing guilt. I hadn't taken good care of him, and all that ran through my mind was the thought that, were Prime real, he would hate me for what I have done, and turn against me.

I decided never to mistreat my friends ever again, imaginary or otherwise. Though to this very day, whenever I see a picture of G1 Optimus Prime, I still feel the guilt.

Thanks
    Last Summer I moved to LA because I wanted to get a real taste of the entertainment industry and how cut-throat it really is. I visited Gnomon, had to withdraw from Art Center because of Tuition which was a major bummer..its a fantastic school though, met some great artists, and realized that my priorities weren't set. For ten months I did a labor job and the whole experience was humbling. Now that I moved back home, I have a new sense of what I need to do and that I need to get better. I'm swarming myself in everything game and art related which is what I should've done before. Sometimes it takes a kick in the ass...like a major move...to open our eyes. Ever since I got back a few weeks ago, I feel better and have been doing game art.
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

Thanks
    I have 2 brothers. Ones' a few years older and I didn't play that much with him. My younger brother is younger by a year and 2 weeks. As we travelled to a lot of different countries we played and fought a lot - he was about the same size as me when we were kids.

When I was 13, he was being pretty irritating (understatement of the year) and I literally saw red and picked up the nearest thing to hurl at him that happened to be a hammer (we were both into making things) as I let go, I somehow managed to shout, "Duck" and the hammer parted his hair. The dent in the wall was pretty big.

Since then I have kept a tight rein on my temper, and will never let it get to that level again. It scared the shit out of me. We're still great friends, even if he did once bash my head against a wall.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Breaking up with a girl when i was 17 and in collage, because i wanted to see my friends more and go out drinking all the time and fucking around. A year later I realised the boat had sailed and that doing it made no sense in any way and was childish.

I don’t let it go as i think from then and on-going it keeps me trying to not be a self-serving fool.
    Nothing Of Interest......Yet

"Being remembered for living is worth dying for"

Midnight's Sketchbook Feel free to rip my work apart constructively

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast