Sketchbook: Mykro's New Journal

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mykro's New Journal

Alright, time for a new sketchbook. I think the old one got too bogged down since I started it with an old image dump. This one I intend to keep as a journal of progress in my ongoing projects. I am planning on doing all the exercises from the Environmentoring course, and I'm illustrating a kid's book, so those will be a great start for this. I also have purchased a number of the downloadable classes here, and will post results from the post-viewing experiments. I just recently got Clochette's illustration demo, which is having great influence on the children's book illustrations, and I purchased the Francis Vallejo ink techniques demo, which inspired the image that I will kick this thread off with.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a few newer pieces.
    First one is another ink piece I did with a nib and a brush. These are in very premature preparation for a comic book idea I'm trying to work out.
    The second is a on-the-fly piece of promo art I did for Neil Strauss' Everyone Loves You When You're Dead. This was done with sharpies and prismacolor markers.
    The next three are the main character sketches for the children's book I'm working on. I have a lot of changes and designs to do for this, but this was the early stab.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good stuff! I love your coloring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive work! Great use of high contrast lighting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to Kurtzund and cannibalcarnivale.

OK, this post is the first of my run through the Environmentoring exercises.
    Week One:
    Study Task A): Constructing cubes in space. 1.5 hours
    In task A) we will introduce the 3 perspective setups you will use most – 1, 2 and 3 point perspective. In fact, humans see in 3 point perspective. 1 and 2 point are introduced for the sake of simplicity, by placing the 2nd and 3rd vanishing points at ‘infinite’ distances. Take half an hour to work with each setup. First, draw a horizon line straight across your drawing space. Choose any point on this line and place a dot. This is your VP1, or first vanishing point. In one point perspective, this is your only vanishing point. From here, draw out radiating lines in all directions. Between two of these lines, draw 2 direct verticals. This forms the ‘receding’ face of your cube. From the front vertical, draw out a square. This is now the front plane. Continue in this fashion, and construct some basic scenes using different sizes and shapes of cubes.
    For 2 point perspective, your ‘front’ face now conforms to a vanishing point also. Place 2 VP’s on your horizon line. Draw out your radii, and drop your two verticals as before. Then, from each end of your front vertical, draw a line back to the second unused VP. Drop your third vertical somewhere along here, and you now have a cube in two point perspective. Continue as above, and create 2-3 abstract scenes without detail in 2 point perspective.
    Finally, 3 point introduces a 3rd vanishing point which simulates the vertical movement of our eyes. VP3 determines (in abstract space) whether we are looking up or down. After placing your two horizontal VP’s, place a 3rd vanishing point between these two, but far above or below the horizon line. Proceed as with 2 point, except now all of your verticals follow back to the VP3. Again, construct 2-3 abstract scenes.

I did these, some painted out and some just lines. I also used a cool perspective path I found at http://freddieart.com/ under his digiart quick tools. He had some cool stuff for free, but a lot of it you have to pay for. Looks like solid tools though. Anyway, they helped on these perspective assignments.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the second study task for EM:

Study Task B) Observing perspective 1.5 hours
    Collect a series of 5 photo references or screen grabs from movies. These must be of some sort of urban environment. Using Photoshop, trace perspective lines over the major objects/buildings. Do this on several objects, and then connect the dots where your tracing lines intersect. This should form a horizon line. Finally, using the same horizon line, construct a simple cube that fits the perspective of the photo.
    Note: Whether you are working digitally or traditionally, it helps to place your VP’s as far off the ‘frame’ of your drawing as possible. Placing vanishing points too close will result in extreme distortion and you will break the conviction of your illusion. This may take some time to get used to, but eventually your eye will learn to ‘fake’ perspective without needing to draw in your points far off the canvas.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, still trying to find some time to finish the stuff I started, but I have a couple studies here. The first two are for the second Environmentoring assignment, looking at Atmospheric Perspective. The link to the assignment is: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=109384 I have couple more of these, not finished yet. I still need to finish the Portfolio Piece for the first class, but I keep getting stuck in planning. I'll post sketches and get help next time.
    The next couple here are texture spheres, a cool way to do studies I got from Matt Kohr. He has a bunch of amazing stuff on Ctrl+Paint I'm trying not to get completely sidetracked into these, but I had to try something.
    The final piece here is a value study from a screencap. Something quick, just about an hour. I'm having to do stuff quick as I have very little time at the moment. Doesn't help that I've been browsing through Parsakoia and Texahol's sketchbooks.
    On a sad note, the best drawing teacher that I've ever had just passed away. Tom Flanagan was my instructor for Storyboarding and Advanced Life Drawing at The Art Institute of Colorado. He was so much more to me, and to most of his students. He was someone who shaped a work ethic and broke your drawing down to what worked. I really need him to tell me I suck right now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few random imagination sketches from the past couple days. I think I've over saturated looking at demos and sketchbooks. I'm trying to build my digital confidence back up by trying a lot of different stuff, lots of studies and just trying to find my workflow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shhesh! I'm already seeing loads of improvement from you man! Especially those texture studies! Love 'em!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple quick sketches from the last couple days. I pushed the action schoolgirl sketch farther. A main concern of mine is pushing stuff further and not just abandoning it. The guy is a warmup, and a few WIPs of a quick photo study. I also have some character studies working that will be ready probably tomorrow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im noticing some proportion issues mostly with the hands, they usually seem too small

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus Food: On all of em? or just the last WIPs? Cause some of the earlier sketches look big on the hands.

Started some studies of harajuku styles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a sketch to throw up. Not much this week, though I'm almost done polishing the harajuku studies, and I'll finish the bong girl soon. This was a sketch inspired by, but not entered into CHOW 253: Wasteland Maurader.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K here's my cleaned up harajuku girls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick sketch for a friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, been a while since I posted. Been busy with a lot of things, so not much drawing, but I did get a paying commission! Cowgirl logo for a bar. I'll put up progress shots. Also, a little sketch. Oh, and here's some workups of orcs, though I had some computer crashes and lost work and motivation for them. I also did a drawing for the jay and silent bob iphone case contest, but ran out of time.Also, some more weird sketches and a wip study. I'm trying to work from imagination a lot more, especially tapping into the weird stuff buried in my brain.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mykro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha WICKED STUDIEZ BROTHER ALL OF EM AN I WISH YA WOULD ENTERED THAT WASTELAND MARAUDER I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR ITS IF YA FINISHED IT HAHA THATS WICKED YOU RRRRRRRRROOCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK BROTHER XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell yeah Smileface, thanks for the support. You're an awesome dude. Got a few more to pop up here. Just some sketches and the beginning of my building studies. I've laid out a basic plan for my next 20 rounds of studies. These aren't anything too strict, I'm also throwing in a lot of other exercises, trying everything I can on Photoshop. Anyway, I have a ways to go to build this visual library, here's the list:
    1. Buildings
    2. Vehicles
    a.Land
    b.Air
    c.Water
    3.Interiors
    4Reptiles/Amphibians
    5.Mammals
    6.Insects
    7.Birds
    8.Fish/ Sea animals
    9.Deserts
    10.Mountains
    11.Jungle
    12.Urban
    13.Plants
    14.Figure/Anatomy Recap
    15.Armor
    16.Mechs/robots
    17.Historical Clothing
    18.Weapons

And then I need to get in some master studies, etc. But I'm tired of fumbling when I try to do a CHOW or COW. My Industrial drawings are kinda shit these days too. I can do good portraits, but that's not enough. I'm also really getting the urge to start oil painting again. And do a Ink/marker drawing of Howard Zinn for my son's room. Enough rambling. The art...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I've been learning SketchUp! I don't come as a complete stranger to 3d, as I did some modeling/animation in school, but the last time I modeled something from scratch was about 8 years ago. In the vein of my buildings studies I put this together.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotta be honest, I never was much of an environment guy. Its been one of my biggest weaknesses for a while. I've always been a figure drawing guy. But I'm excited to learn more. I think the hardest place for me is buildings, cityscapes. Perspective feels too constructed and usually ends up less than real. I'm trying to tackle it with both constructive and optical techniques. Anyway, I did remember that I was working at the environmentoring exercises. I think I started this once before, but this is my initial sketch for the assignment "The path" I'm trying something new here. I put in some broad marks, getting darker as I went down. Used a light value for the path and just tried to imagine two splitting roads, where they would twist and turn around my shapes. After I was pretty happy with my composition, I looked at some photo refs, loading rock shapes into my brain, and realized I hadn't put any plant life into my mountains. So, I started to work in some trees and bushes. Now I'm on a second pass, new layer, defining close areas, clearing up the castle in the distance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so I've been doing a little back to basics action, I think I just have some things I want to understand better. I've been doing the beginning exercises in yoitisi's island on paper, so I'll have to scan those in later. But for now, I started doing the Peer project exercises and working on my path for the environmentoring assignment. Not too much pretty here, just my own stuff for understanding/thinking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, it's luckyblindshot from reddit. You seem to be very diligent in your studies! Is there anything you're having difficulty with or that you want to improve upon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back...sort of.

Oh wow, its been forever. I guess I'll just start dumping stuff and explaining along the way. I have a bunch of people drawn from /r/redditgetsdrawn. Fun exercises that keep me drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And More...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great use of high contrast lighting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And more stuff. One of these is a save the date with the couple as zombie killers, a commission from reddit. Still WIP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here's some stuff from a short lived, but possibly soon to return group on reddit for digital painters. All from refs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry some of these are huge, I'll come back and edit later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.