Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Kurtzund's rage filled scratchings

Hey there folks, I've noticed a lack of improvement in my art over the last couple months. So I've created a sketchbook in the hopes that I can get some direction.

So please, give me whatever advice or critique you can, it's greatly appreciated.

Here's what I'm up to these days. Some work in progress digital paintings and some life drawing stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kurtzund; September 29th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Head and arm skeletal studies. I can't get my damn scanner to work so my iphone will have to do for now.

Thanks
    More figure drawing practice, been looking in my bridgeman book again.

Thanks
    keep posting man. doing great so far

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kimozabbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lets see some color! Its all in the hue/value/chroma. Dont be discouraged, just experiment. Before you know it youl be a master of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Malakuko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm taking Malakuko's advice and trying some color. A painting I'm working on of Bubbles from 'The Wire', it's still in progress. Here's the ref.

I'm painting it all on one layer using a round brush at 90% opacity and 90% flow. I'm not sure if I'm approaching this the right way.

Anyone have any advice, I'm completely new to using color, I could use all the help I can get.

Last edited by Kurtzund; June 28th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks
    Bridgman stuff is looking great! You've managed to preserve the energy of his drawings in your studies.

Regarding hands, one mantra I chant to myself is "don't draw fingers, draw knuckles"

I find Bridgman's hand stuff particularly helpful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kdiegert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sweet studies! Bridgman has helped me immensely over the last year.

Another good source for understanding form and the figure is a guy named Glenn Vilppu. I highly recommend his stuff for wrapping your brain around three dimensional forms in space.

For being completely new to color this is looking damn good! I can relate to that place, for years all I ever did was black and white value studies and compositions. I didn't even attempt a color portrait till the end of last year O_o

Color baffled me (hell it still does to be honest) but keep cranking out studies like this last one and it will start to come together for you faster than you would have thought possible.

Anyways, great start to the sketchbook, look forward to watching your progress!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MBK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, posting more studies.

I've taken kdiegert's advice on drawing hands. Awesome advice man! I think the hand thing is starting to make a lot more sense.

I've been doing some color studies but none of them are really turning out right so I won't bother posting them. I guess I'll just keep hammering away at it.

I've also been keeping up with my life studies, trying to work in more fluidity into my gestures and poses, whilst still trying to keep proportion in mind.

Thanks
    It's been a frustrating couple of days. I've been repeatedly doing color studies and I'm still struggling. I spent the last couple hours working on that Victor Komarov portrait below. I never really ended up going anywhere, the face was way off and I couldn't manage to capture that skin tone. Anybody have any useful tips or links to good tutorials? I'll take anything I can get.

I've also been making use of the paper bags I got from whole foods. I've been experimenting with doing my life studies on toned paper.

Thanks
    Pay close attention to what you see. From what I can observe in the comparisons above, the original has a narrower face which you can see a lot better in comparison if you zoom out, and the lips are at a different angle. Look carefully at the colours you use -- for the shoulders you used a yellow instead of a brown, and the lips have more of a pinkish hue than an orange. The face has more red in it than the yellows you used as well. Look at your colours very carefully when you choose, it's a bit of a pain to learn to "see" the subtle differences between colours but well worth it.

Remember that we mostly get our skin tone from the colour of blood, so with the exception of certain lighting our skin colour leans more towards pink than yellow. You want warmer colours.

If colours are a bit of trouble, I also recommend squinting or unfocusing your eyes, it makes seeing colour a lot easier.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice hand studies

As far as the color study is going, this is pretty good! Any problems with the likeness are in the realm of the drawing phase itself (flipping the canvas often helps) and should be worked out before making a move towards coloring (ideally), but as far as trying to lay down the color, considering how new the whole process is to you, you've gotten pretty far and I can tell it's stretching your mind forcing you to see all those subtle shifts in color. Just keep doing them! No matter how discouraged you feel, or stagnant you may think your progress is, you're definitely improving with each attempt. This is already noticeably further along than the first one you posted!

I've found these to be helpful, maybe you can get something out of 'em:

(His channel is packed with useful tutorials)

Keep pushing!

Last edited by MBK; July 3rd, 2011 at 11:32 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MBK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your Boxxy is badass, along with everything else! inspiring.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadandDreaming For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.