Character design: Symonne "Starshine" Cymbry
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character design: Symonne "Starshine" Cymbry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Character design: Symonne "Starshine" Cymbry

Hi, I'm new

I've decided to start making some proper character portraits of some of my pen-and-paper roleplaying characters. This is the first one.

She's a character in Rogue Trader, which is set in the Warhammer 40K universe. A dark, dystopian future of interstellar war and fanaticism.

She's worked for the administratum (it's kind of like the IRS and STASI combined) for a while as a... well, no one's asked, really. But she's good at talking to people and being sneaky and inconspicous. I like developing characters as I play, and she's quite new, so that's all I have right now. I still haven't figured out why she's called Starshine.

As for the design itself, I started off from my own baseless conception of what a paper-pusher in the Norwegian public sector would look like in the 70's, added some Welma from Scooby Doo, aand a gun and something leathery since it's WH40K.

I would love to hear some constructive comments both on the ideas behind the design and on the craftsmanship.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well... she's very different from any Warhammer thing I've ever seen. Whether that's exactly good or not I can't say though.
    My first gripe would be that the uneven and random texture of her suit looks like hair, making her look kinda like mix of Chewbacca and Velma. If you wanted a wool/pullover shirt look, do the lines more evenly and have the shadows go more with the suits shapes, like even though she's lifting her legs, there's no wrinkles.

Also her ear is really far on the back and she's missing a finger.
    And since you're going with such cartoony look, I personally would do straight lineart and cellshade the image, instead of combining lineart and smudgey, painted shading.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right, I've ignored the precedent for WH40K art, and gone in a sort of cartoonish direction.

I was going for a sort of sci-fi corduroy suit, and thought I'd get away by being a bit loose and lazy, maybe if I loosened up the lineart as well?

I could print it out, lay it on a lightboard (or the like) and paint over the lines with a brush. I think that might work better with the smudgy shading too.

As for the finger and the ear, I'll get right on that!

Last edited by ChristerMLB; June 23rd, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristerMLB View Post
    I was going for a sort of sci-fi corduroy suit, and thought I'd get away by being a bit loose and lazy, maybe if I loosened up the lineart as well?
    Unfortunately sci-fi is probably one of the least forgiving for going "loose and lazy". And sure, you could loosen the lineart, but it wouldn't change the fact that the suit looks hairy.
    The point of corduroy is that the lines are parallel, but in this they're not, and not in a way that would make sense considering the shape of the suit.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, you're right, it might even make it look more hairy. I'll have to fix the corduroy-lines, and then I'll do the brush thing anyway, to see if it helps make the lineart fit better with the shading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey i like the concept, I dont know much about warhammer so I may be useless as far as your concept goes. I think her face is really the strength of the piece, I get a sense of her personality right away. I think technique wise the face and the drapery around the shoulders are holding up best. The drapery reminds me of some princess leia garb which seemed cool to me.

A few things off the bat that bother me are: The hand holding the clipboard (as an above poster mentioned) is a 4 digit hand whereas the gun wielding hand is a regular 5 digit. Just need to choose which you prefer. 4 digit hands obviously are a more cartoony look.

I feel a technology disconnect between the gun and the glasses, I think the gun needs to have more of a clunky hand-made feel like the glasses or the glasses need to look a bit more modern.

Also the perspective of her front foot seems way off to me, I dont think you should be seeing so much of the sole of the shoe from the way she is walking.

Great work overall!

If you would like to poke back at me you can crit a drawing i just put up!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...35#post3165335

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TeRRoR-303 For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her left hand only has four fingers.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can't be loose and lazy with corduroy. The lines on corduroy are parallel, so once you have non-parallel lines it starts looking like some other fabric.

Corduroy is also quite stiff, while your suit is baggy and floppy, making it look much more like a knitted fabric. Stiff fabrics have fewer folds, and the folds they have are quite pronounced and angular. Corduroy would have pronounced pleats where it's gathered at the wrists and wouldn't be so round around her thighs (the tops of thighs are rounded but not that much). Think jean jacket and baggy, stiff jeans.

I like the face on this character though. She has a definite personality!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update where I did what I said I would. The suit looks less like it's made of hair, I've also tried to make it look stiffer. I also printed, brushed, and scanned the linework and made some other changes as well.

I think it looks better in some ways, but I also think I need to sleep on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One last update, I tried adding on some bling and tweaked a bit. I consider myself done with this one, and will me moving on to another character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some details

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.