Thanks

Hi. Please help me get good at drawing.

Hi there. I'm Jack. I've just finished my degree and it's time to kick start a career in animation/illustration.

I'm gonna post pretty much everything I do here and ask you guys what you think and hopefully you'll tell me and I'll get better at drawing like those guys in threads that are like, 50 pages long how does that even happen.

'Aight then this is my first batch of stuff. A study of a character I created for a comic back in Uni.

I intend to try my hand at digitally painting these today. I've never done it before, always been a graphic illustrator kinda guy y'know?

Okay, so please tell me how I suck and what I should do to not suck that'd be fab.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome to CA!

Those expressions are excellent. They have a lot of life in them and I'm really enjoying your poses too.

My advice is to learn confidence with your lines, and to draw with as few lines as possible. The infamous "chicken scratch" looks rather messy and it's hard to learn accuracy with it.

Your shading looks really neat. I'm looking forward to seeing your digital stuff!

Thanks
    Just whipped this up using SAI paint tool. I feel bad about it because I know nothing of theory behind painting beyond what other people have told me to do.

Started with a layer of green, blocked out shadows in brown, then started working on top of those until I got this.

I've never subscribed to the opinion that traditional mediums are more valid than digital but I do feel a little bit like a charlatan. But again I know nothing of the craft, these are my baby fawn clumsy first steps into the world.

So if you guys could tell me whats wrong, or what I should do to learn how to paint digitally properly. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    shadows really help to ground the pose, otherwise im really looking forward to what you do with that degree
    There is no way to question the life you have, unless you question it.