Thread: style or.....?

Thanks

style or.....?

ok ive been meaning to ask this question for a long time now. its very often i see or hear comments like.....'man, i like your style' or...'i really like the style of your drawings'... something along those lines. well really. can someone clue me in on this? what exactly is style? i mean ok great painters are known for their "unique styles" right? pablo picasso for his...shall i say...chubby nude women...and for cubism. claude monet for his beautiful landscapes. and everytime i see a painting by either one of the artists, im immediately able to identify which belongs to who. but before that, before either found out what works really well for them, they had, or more rightly said, they didnt have a style.
    each sketch, each painting, had its own 'style'. it was as if they were produced by many different artists instead of just one.
    so i guess my real question is, isnt a style just a repetition of the same painting (or drawing)? one produces a picture in which the colors or the shapes stand out to another one's eyes. the viewer tells the artist that they find the style of the painting unique. so if the artist sits down and produces a version of the painting, kind of similar but not similar enough to be noticed by other audience, isnt that what you may call a 'style'?

i dont know if im being clear enough. this is kind of confusing. so lets see.....i know most of you have at least seen some of the pictures of this artist.
    heres one that i found.... its not the best example, but oh well.
    style or.....?
    although i dont know the name of this artist, it is quite easy to identify any of his or her paintings anywhere.
    ok so back to my point. doesnt having style, then, just mean that you are repetetive in your drawings?
    please answer. i am quite confuzzled.

thank you.
    "But i dont want to go among mad people" Alice remarked.
    "Oh you can't help that." Said the Cat:"We're all mad here."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Re: style or.....?

Originally posted by stacy
    ok so back to my point. doesnt having style, then, just mean that you are repetetive in your drawings?
    please answer. i am quite confuzzled.
    I suppose you do repeat things if your paintings are easily recongnized. But that's not a bad thing.

Thanks
    it is too! cuz once you think about it......its like the guys with the style dont have alot of imagination do they?
    but then ive seen things like that on CA....say..each one of a person's drawings is different, and you see replys like....."stick to one style" doesnt that just mean "lose your imagination"
    it doesnt make sense
    Last edited by stacy; April 25th, 2004 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks
    Originally posted by stacy
    it is too! cuz once you think about it......its like the guys with the style dont have alot of imagination do they?
    but then ive seen things like that on CA....say..each one of a person's drawings is different, and you see replys like....."stick to one style" doesnt that just mean "lose your imagination"
    it doesnt make sense
    So would you say all the famous artists of the past aren't that good because they stuck to the same painting style? If I hear a song I like, I'm going to listen to more songs by the same band because I know they'll have a similar sound. It doesn't get boring because even though it might a similar sound, each song is still different in other ways.

Thanks
    style and imagination are completley different things.

you use your imagination to think of the idea, and then your style to represent that idea.

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    ok ok i see your point
    but ok.....another question cuz im still kinda confused about it
    does every person have their own style?... i mean if you cant see it right away. does it still mean they have their own way of drawing? or....something...

Thanks
    Ah, Thomas Kinkade painting. :barf:

Thanks
    uh ha! so thats what it was.
    and i agree with you redder but back to my point.
    style or.....? style or.....? style or.....?
    some of you may think that its the painters 'style'. no but really. is it style to draw houses and flowers in each painting? isnt that called repetition, not style?

Thanks
    I'd say you'l see a Feng drawing, illustration, painting whatever, right away, if you watch alot of his work.
    Hard, easy lines. mostly just ink and markers, straight etc.

its pretty easy to see who's who's in the pro-circles.

Calle.
    Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    you are confusing 'style' with 'theme'. is english not your first language?!
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    geez nil. its just a question
    and for your info, its actually not. its my third. not that its any of your business. and im not confusing style and theme. colors dont fall in the theme category do they? now just look at these paintings and tell me that the colors vary from one painting to another. that the atmosphere is different. thats not theme is it? but is it what you call style?

Thanks
    Well, id say that the theme is the whole picture, and the way to express it is the style of the artist.

Calle.
    Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    People have different views or perceptions. They choose to represent what they create in a certain way, the way they see it. When you start out ( artist or not), you have a pretty "unstylized" view, but after time, you will become influenced by things to see in a certain way. I'm sure this isn't the case for everybody, but thats how I think of it.

enough of my rambling, I probably didn't even address the real issue.

Thanks
    color can be influenced by theme or style. what you have shown is a bunch of pictures following the same theme (i.e., english cottage type houses and the surrounding gardens).

allow me to clarify. style is what makes a painting/drawing identifiable as having been made by a certain artist, whereas any artist can do a painting/drawing of any theme/subject matter. for example, lets say jon foster can do a painting of any theme he likes, a robot or a fairy or a boat or an english type cottage and its surrounging gardens. what makes this painting recognisably jon foster's is his style. style can include colour pallette, brushstroke, how realistic the portayal is, camera angle etc etc.

by extension, one can say that while jon foster paints robots, not all paintings of robots are by jon foster. however, all paintings in the 'jon foster style' are indeed by jon foster, regardless of wether or not they are of robots.

obviously, this is a simplified version of reality in which artists always stick to the same style in their work, and noone copies anyone elses style.
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    This is a very interesting debate.

Theme, is the subject matter that you are creating, like a painting of a house or person, or a stormy night.

Style, is the technique you use to create that theme.

I say theres three levels of style: (1) the style of medium, like painting or sculpting, pen and ink work. (2) The style of how you use that medium, and how you want to create your artwork after being influenced by other art. And (3) (get this) your own unique individual style that happens uncontrollably because of genetics and how your body was made, like whether you have good or bad eye sight is definitly going to determine how you create art because thats perception. Or if your short or very tall person your whole life, your perception is going to be slightly unique.

Style is not a repetition of the same type of art work, because someone could paint one picture in painted realism style, and the same person could paint a different painting in a cartoony style. No need for repetition, just one style for one thing, and another style for something else. If someone keeps painting houses with pretty flowers, thats theme done in repitition, not style.

I agree with Nil that style could be camera angle, brush stroke (if using paint), etc. But I don't think style is color pallette, I think it's a theme. There are painters who like painting bright sunny atmospheres for most of there illustrations, that could be mistaken for 'their style', but it's actually just a theme that they are very interested in. Just like there's a lot of artists who are into the 'dark' looking themes for their stuff, but theirs different ways to paint those themes, those ways are styles.

When people say, "I love your style". Most people don't realize that half of the artists out there, are using a slightly modified version of someone elses style, which isn't a bad thing, just that some credit to the influenctial artists are usually ignored. Like for example, we know who Singer Sargent is, but very few people know who he learned how to paint in his way by, and basically for many people, Sargent takes all the credit for his 'style' of painting. Teachers influenced many of the great past artists dramatically.

This is just what I think, I'm sure some people may disagree. I might be at least somewhat correct hopefully. Just interesting topic to think about.

Thanks
    thanks for the replies
    Chris J. Anderson!:::this is kinda out of place but i went to your website and i looove your artwork. your sketches are amazing
    k well i guess it just depends on how you view it then right? i mean....about the colors.....i think the pallette of the piece can represent either the theme or be part of the style of the artwork - it just depends on the artist. and it would be really cool if what Chris Anderson says about your style transferred to you genetically is actually true cuz personally, i could never sense/find my own.
    well anyways thanks guys for the insights:beer:
    -stacy

Thanks
    Not sure if this adds anything to the discussion, but Alfred Hitchcock said that "Self-plagiarism is style".
    Throughout your life advance daily,
    becoming more skillful than yesterday,
    more skillful than today. This is never ending.

Hagakure: Book of the Samurai {Chapter One}

Thanks
    Hey Stacy, thanks for the compliments

About style being apart of your bodies genetics, have you ever heard of an artist names Monet? I learned about him in college, he was one of the painters of the past, more precisely, beginning of the impressionist period I think. I remember learning about why he painted the last series of his paintings in a very blurry, abstract, kind of way. I learned that it had a lot to do with his eye sight, the older he got the more blind he was becoming, but that didn't stop him from painting. So he painted the blurring shapes he saw the best way he could, which he painted in the style of an artist with extrememly terrible eye sight. And he painted like this because he had no other choice. It's funny because a lot of artists after him (who are not blind at all) would choose to try to paint in his abstract style, but Monet's style was their mostly because of the physical fact that his eye sight became extrememly terrible. Other artists were just trying to copy the look of his style, for the most part, because it looked cool and caused attention with the art critics, and critics of the impressionist period tried to create some deep meaning behind his work when for the most part, he mostly painted that way because of his poor eye sight.
    Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; April 26th, 2004 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    I totally agree with the genetic influence you bring up....I mean each person has slightly different limbs....the length of your forearm(if you draw from your elbow) will affect the shape of your strokes...the length of your hand/fingers.....
    it's only very very subtle usually, but it's what makes a straight line I draw, my line and not someone else's straight line.

Plus for short people vs tall people, especially when drawing figures, shorter people understand the construction from a different perspective than tall people.
    And have you ever noticed how, for a lot of artists, the faces/figures they draw tend to reflect the image of the artist himself?
    Everyone has a particular reference with them at all times, and that is themselves.....and that influence seeps into an artist's work.....when an artist is uncertain, he turns to his library of reference......more often than not he's his own greatest resource.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Reading your first post stacy, it seems to me that you are confusing 'style' with 'subject matter'. Monet's style is not the landscape, it is how he paints the landscape. Picasso's style is not the nude woman, it's how he paints the nude woman. Style, to me, is evidence of the personality of the artist in his/her work; the manifestation of their hand in it. A symbol bolder and more unique to them than their signature. Consider it this way - Picasso painted many other things than nude women, but likely as not you could tell they were Picasso's. you can also clearly distinguish his style in things he didn't paint - his sculpture, drawings, and collages.

Sticking to one style does not mean limiting yourself in the slightest. There are an infinite number of ways to portray an infinite number of subjects while retaining an individual style.
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Hey Rob, agreed Also, adding onto what you where saying about artists who tend to reflect the image of themselves, interesting because I know people who are taller and have long heads and faces, and when they draw characters, those characters tend to have long heads and faces. I have a round face and my facial features are placed in a certian way, I realize that I ususally draw characters like that, I don't usually draw characters with long faces. But I need to break out of that mode and draw a more variety of chararcters.

Nimrod, yep agreed.

Thanks
    Aghhh... One of my biggest problems is everyone I draw, male, female, black, white, young, old, etc etc etc has, to some extent, my face. Definitely a thing to work on for me. likewise, I am tall and skinny, and at least when I was much younger all of my people were very very tall and thin. I think this is really corollary to the style discussion, but just the same, I guess it shows that style is the reflection of the artist's personal characteristics and persona.
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    that style is the reflection of the artist's personal characteristics and persona.
    Nim - Yeah, I totally agree. Especially with that last sentence.

Thanks
    you know what? what you guys are saying is totallyh true. my art teacher (hes an artist himself....not to mention a pretty famous one around here) has this thing......most of his older paintings are about i guess his childhood...well naturally they have lots of kids in them and you know what? now that i think about it...they all have the same face...his
    well his but 50 years ago.
    i dont know....but i really dont think that any of the people i draw look like me...they look more like my sister/parents
    what the hell does that mean? that i wanna be them? or.....something...
    it better not

Thanks
    haha, that's very true, the characters looking like you thing... and I agree with personality influencing your style. although I don't agree that people should stick to one style... I mean, look at the artists you mentioned, monet, picasso, picasso especially, I mean, Picasso ranges from the craziest realism you've ever seen, through his Harlequinn phase, and the "blue period," and cubism, to his later, war influenced paintings... but they are all his. and uniquely his, because of his view on the subject matter. his opinion on what he's painting, and his personality. Your style is how you reinterprate everything else.

Thanks
    yea youre right...
    but did he choose different styles consiously? (wrong word)
    i mean.......can you just wake up one day and go, 'i dont like my style, i think i outta change it completley' and just start drawing like that? or did something dramatic happen in picasso's life that made him view things completley differently?
    baahh i needa learn art history

Thanks
    personal style and artistic style can be separated I think.
    I mean I can draw a million landscapes with a warm colour theme and non-dynamic perspectives, or I can draw a cell shaded comicbook character, both in different artistic styles, but with the same personal style....making them both identifiable as my own.

Artistic style is like your medium and/or tools....you can switch it up.
    Personal style is a constant......I mean it certainly evolves, but it's something you can't just change on a whim.

Cubism, Warner Bros. Animation, and Pointillism are all artistic styles....like the approach you take with the tools & medium you're using....personal style is active between the approach and the application of the tools......it's where the magic happens.

Versatility is a good thing, but it's certainly not a crime to stick to a single artistic style......as long as you're developing the personal style that gives the artistic style it's life(in any number of the many many ways that it can do that).

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Style is how the paintings look. For example the paintings you put up all had a look about them, bright colors, and from the looks of them they all used a "U" compostion. There's alot more to it, but like others have said the houses and trees and flowers are not his style, just what he paints.

A really quick easy way to explain styles is to look at cartoons and anime. Look at the difference between Scooby Doo, Akira, and Bat man. They all look really different, from each other, and each show has their own characters all using the same style. But the characters in each show still look different from the characters in their own show (i.e. Scooby and Shaggy). A style helps seperate artists from others.

There are many many people who copy or maybe even just look like other artists, so not everyone has their own style, but everyone does have a style.

I hope I helped more then I confused.