should guns be allowed on college campuses

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

should guns be allowed on college campuses

i want your opinion

i think it should be allowed because laws only affect the law-abiding. that means school shooters are gonna bring guns anyway.
    and if guns were allowed, school shooters could have been shot dead by the saner ones before he/she even kill more people.
    to me, saying that college kids will go on a shooting spree if guns were allowed is like saying that people will lose morale and start killing eachother if god wasn't taught in public schools. the last time i checked, god-believers and atheists were equally as immoral.

and also... maybe ladies and gays or anyone who are often targeted for violence/murder/rape in college can *have the opportunity* to defend themselves. i didn't say guns will magically defend someone, but having the opportunity to at least scare off an attacker (even a group of attackers) is still good, unless the attacker points the gun first.

i mean ok the best weapon to prevent targeted crime is social grouping, awareness, teamwork, and support but obviously social change takes a long time. in an ideal world, people can just sit down have a discussion and be like "we conclude that its inappropriate to attack ladies and gay people are okay!" and prevent many attacks from then on, but waiting for social change to solve a problem is like trying develop a genetic mod that prevents cancer while not allowing the current patients from using chemotherapy. and of course, letting the current patients die because "genetic mods are going to solve more problems.... in a few decades"

argue with me. btw this isn't about "should there be gun control", it's about "should guns be banned on campuses"

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I propose that guns be outlawed, but the carrying of a sword be legalised.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd rather carry a melee weapon than a gun.

And honestly, in the face of danger, how many people are calm enough to get the damn boomstick out, disable safety, load it, aim accurately, then fire?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crossmirage, when I rule the world all melee weapons will be equally legal.

If nothing else I feel it will give people some pause for thought before attempting to rob that old asian guy with the samurai sword..

I feel a more polite society will be the inevitable result.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    I propose that guns be outlawed, but the carrying of a sword be legalised.
    not fair what about slowpokes like me with one arm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You get a short sword or an axe. Didn't do the Roman legions any harm. They stabbed most of Europe with one arm.

I suggest you wear armour on your off side.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmirage View Post
    I'd rather carry a melee weapon than a gun.

And honestly, in the face of danger, how many people are calm enough to get the damn boomstick out, disable safety, load it, aim accurately, then fire?
    i read that as 'male' weapon
    ugh smh

anyway not many people will be calm but most people who are trained with guns can stay calm. but lets assume that these are just regular college students. i am sure that out of the hundreds of people in the building, there would have been a dozen or two with a gun who could have shot without losing their minds

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, guns are banned and illegal now, remember?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You get a short sword or an axe. Didn't do the Roman legions any harm. They stabbed most of Europe with one arm.

I suggest you wear armour on your off side.
    carryin an axe everywhere i go? smh i dont want to look like something from world of warcraft.

not that i want to carry a weapon anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    i want your opinion
    i think it should be allowed
    This indicates that you think it should be cool to carry a weapon on campus.
    I agree, just not something as impersonal as a glock.

Sword fight, if it's really that big a deal.
    Or, y'know talk it out like reasonable human beings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, everyone carry shields only. That way we can defend ourselves, attack with shield bashings, and get an extra canvas to scribble on.

Also, I dunno if it's just me but I find firearms bigger than pistols rather... clunky to use. Or maybe it's just my tiny baby hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This indicates that you think it should be cool to carry a weapon on campus.
    I agree, just not something as impersonal as a glock.

Sword fight, if it's really that big a deal.
    Or, y'know talk it out like reasonable human beings.
    nothing wrong with glocks

having guns =/= shooting spree
    just as atheism =/= immoral rampage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    College. You mean the place where a good chunk of people spend a good chunk of their day drunk out of their gourd? No, I don't think it's a good place for guns.

I think more people would die in the first week from one of their buddies showing off than have ever been killed in school shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by stragan
    and also... maybe ladies and gays or anyone who are often targeted for violence/murder/rape in college can *have the opportunity* to defend themselves.
    You say this like there's murderous gangs of criminals roaming college campuses looting and pillaging. You're more likely to get raped by that nice guy you invited over for a study session or that clean-cut boy sympathetically bringing you drinks at a party than some pervert hiding in the bushes.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is though, glocks are now illegal in my New World Order.

You got beef? Swordfight or sort it out rationally.

Hey, I didn't make the rules..oh wait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i want your opinion

i think it should be allowed because laws only affect the law-abiding. that means school shooters are gonna bring guns anyway.
    and if guns were allowed, school shooters could have been shot dead by the saner ones before he/she even kill more people.
    It will lead to worse massacres, because when a school shooting starts, how do you recognize the shooter? Well, he's the guy with the gun. If everybody whips out their guns, everybody is going to start shooting at everybody.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to be a downer on your point by from my position, being a student in a completely useless Liberal arts college. its pretty clear that this is the last place in society that I want a gun. I'm not trying to be a D!^K but in all honesty these people are some of the biggest dipS#!ts, and are either drunk, or doing something completely stupid and fraternity/ sorority related.

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Imagine how funny a drunken sword fight would look though..

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can't count how many times I've been asked if I had a pencil to borrow during class. That's a mostly harmless splinter of wood with writey stuff in the middle. I'd hate to see what would happen to a pistol.

I do want to get my carry license though. So I can pop pansy hippies when they try to sell me weed and LSD on the street.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fundamental flaw with this rule is that I can't ever be a gunslinger if I can't have guns. And I really want to be a gunslinger. Swordslinger just doesn't have the same badass ring to it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You got beef? Swordfight or sort it out rationally.

Hey, I didn't make the rules..oh wait.
    say that to the virginia tech people. "why didn't you just talk him out of it, he wouldnt have killed people then"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Not to be a downer on your point by from my position, being a student in a completely useless Liberal arts college. its pretty clear that this is the last place in society that I want a gun. I'm not trying to be a D!^K but in all honesty these people are some of the biggest dipS#!ts, and are either drunk, or doing something completely stupid and fraternity/ sorority related.
    allowing guns on campus =/= EVERYONE having guns. most people dont even have guns in college

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    allowing guns on campus =/= EVERYONE having guns. most people dont even have guns in college
    Yeah, but allowing guns on campus does vastly increase the likelihood that more people will have easy access to guns. Thinking back to the number of people in my dorm alone who couldn't make microwave popcorn without disaster makes me disinclined to trust any of them with guns.

I think you're greatly overestimating the abilities of the average college student.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    It will lead to worse massacres, because when a school shooting starts, how do you recognize the shooter? Well, he's the guy with the gun. If everybody whips out their guns, everybody is going to start shooting at everybody.
    as someone else said, most people probably wouldnt just start shooting at once due to the shock

or the shooter wouldn't shoot in the first place. kind of like how many countries can shoot nuclear bombs at eachother but no one is doing so, because if one sets off, then the rest will all set off to cause a massive shitstorm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    say that to the virginia tech people. "why didn't you just talk him out of it, he wouldnt have killed people then"
    But everyone having a gun wouldn't have prevented a shooting. Dude was going to kill people regardless of whether or not they were armed. The only thing everyone having guns would have ensured was that there would have been more gunshot victims.

That or it would have been an escalation. Everyone has guns, so now what? Build a bomb! Their guns can't prevent that. Now VTech has a crater where one of the buildings used to be and everyone is scrambling to understand how the guy got his hands on fertilizer.

Or we can just accept that while the tragedy seemed absolutely preventable in hindsight, it wasn't. Giving irresponsible kids some guns, amending the constitution, or putting a policeman on every corner aren't the answers.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    Yeah, but allowing guns on campus does vastly increase the likelihood that more people will have easy access to guns. Thinking back to the number of people in my dorm alone who couldn't make microwave popcorn without disaster makes me disinclined to trust any of them with guns.

I think you're greatly overestimating the abilities of the average college student.
    doubt that most people will use guns as much as a microwave

and i dont hear about college students slitting at eachother in drunk parties or frat houses so i doubt that guns will increase violence
    as said, only the crazy will be crazy, no matter what weapons they have

that said, alot of college kids get drunk and drive. should we ban cars on the campus too and make them all use public transit?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    should we ban cars on the campus too and make them all use public transit?
    Freshman usually aren't allowed to have cars. And they don't allow drinking in dorms, even though it slips by.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wasn't the Virginia Tech kid certified mentally ill by a professional psychologist back in high school, but due to a privacy law loophole the college nor the gun dealer could catch wind of that kind of major information?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Wasn't the Virginia Tech kid certified mentally ill by a professional psychologist back in high school, but due to a privacy law loophole the college nor the gun dealer could catch wind of that kind of major information?
    In middle school, he was diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder known as selective mutism, as well as major depressive disorder.[8] After this diagnosis he began receiving treatment and continued to receive therapy and special education support until his junior year of high school. During Cho's last two years at Virginia Tech, several instances of his abnormal behavior, as well as plays and other writings he submitted containing references to violence, caused concern among teachers and classmates.
    In the report, the panel criticized the failure of the educators and mental health professionals who came into contact with Cho during his college years to notice his deteriorating condition and help him. The panel also criticized misinterpretations of privacy laws and gaps in Virginia's mental health system and gun laws. In addition, the panel faulted Virginia Tech administrators in particular for failing to take immediate action after the first shootings. Nevertheless, the report did acknowledge that Cho was still primarily responsible for not seeking assistance and for his murderous rampage.
    There are multiple reasons.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Point of post,

1. I go to liberal arts college.
    2. Observation has shown me that College students make stupid decisions on a daily basis.

Original question: should guns be allowed on college campuses

3. From what Iv seen short answer no.
    4. To further elaborate I'm not worried about Susie smith, whose failing painting 101 btw, randomly pulling out her walther p-38 spray painted pink and recreating the valintines day massacre across my studio.

I'm more worried about that one kid who now thinks he has a legit reason to carry some random concealed weapon, hates every religion, race, sexual orientation, and goes around campus with his jacked up truck with the back window spray painted with the rebel flag, complete with gun rack for that rainy day when he has to chose between umbrella or shotgun. <--......Not that this is always a factor to cut you to the quick yes i realize I sterotyped there just making random background to establish the character/setting......... Who gets drunk every friken night and day after classes and thinking hes either going to be the cool guy, or some sort of hero, Randomly going apeshit across campus because college students make the best decisions.

Yes of coarse there's always going to be that random situation where guy brings the gun to class because Susie broke up with him because he gets drunk too much, and she cant handle his emotional baggage and her kitch painting career. I just dont see the necessary reason to allow guns to be readily on hand in a place with a bunch of emotional, idiots, that make great decisions daily.

There's no Susie Smith. Any and all similarities between the names above are purely coincidental and unintentional

-Demo-
    My Blog

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Side note who really feels safe sitting in Art History, dude next to you as a holstered handgun, dude in back has one in the small of his back. Distracting as all get out.

-Demo-
    My Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.