Thanks

Mac ghz VS PC ghz

So I am probably going to be looking into getting a new rig by the end of the summer, I have a 2.2 ghz pc which has been great (knock on wood) for the past two years but with the way things are going right now in terms of DVD authoring and editing I am probably going to have to switch over to a MAC due to the my school only uses macs as well.

I am just curious if anyone knows how to compare the processors because I am totally lost. I will probably be looking at a dual G4 or entry level G5.

Any advice would be great!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    here is all the comparison you need, macs are better.
    if you get a g5 you will see what i mean. they are speedy and best of all, STABLE. that and the new g5s can hold 8 gigs of ram if you decide you want to keep adding.
    just my 2 cents
    meta
    "Let it BURN"

Thanks
    no u can't compare... all is different, the way it's build, the structure.... no u definitly can't compare.... see : on a mac u can play quake 3 with good ping with a 500 mhz proc and a ati rage 8 mo card.... u can't compare !
    I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Mac : Syle, no substance
    PC : Substance, no style

well.. ok.. I'm not gonna participate in a pc vs mac war here so I'm going to be making a few points...

Macs are great for graphical work and editing but its kindof limited. It's running a certain type of linux so games have to be specifically ported over to the mac.. If you want something that really can do the rendering, video editing, graphical processing that you need, but no entertainment value then I would definetly choose the mac.

on the other hand

pcs also has linux so I really dont think that porting programs from the mac linux distro over to.. say.. redhat would be difficult.. the pc can cope pretty well with the graphical processing you need.. you can dual boot windows and linux so you can always run the newest apps and games.. The pc is also more flexible.. you can modify the hardware as much as you want to... but you cant do that with the mac. Of course this flexibility means that its harder to set the pc up.. its not really as user friendly so if you're a computer newbie it might not be for you...

final point is : Be sure what you need, and base your choice accordingly.. both are excellent systems

p.s. Sorry, I cant help with the ghz question

Thanks
    hey man you obviously know whats goin on with the PCs so there's no sense in arguin over which is better as far as mac vs. PC goes. I'd go with the G5. It's fast and friendly, and has awesome graphical capabilities. just keep your 2.2 around for Halo2.

Thanks
    I'm not sure what the conversion rate is exactly but I do know that the Ghz for mac and PCs are different. The way I heard it described was that your Ghz means the number of cycles your computer can run through per second. The difference is that the mac can process more information PER CYCLE, so the two can't be directly compared. Even given that though, the macs are a bit slower I believe, and Apple has (or so I've heard) been having more stabilty issues since they moved to OS X (though I'm sure it's still more stable then PCs).

Thanks

The best advice: use both!

As a professional, being fully cross-platform is critical and darned handy, inside the games industry and beyond.

Follow the tools you want to use, not the OS. Anyone can get work done on the Mac or PC. These days it's really about what platform runs the software you need, and beyond that it is 100% personal preference. (...notable exceptions to this rule are those that involve ever-persnickety drivers, like audio...)

The reality, as SeraphSword and Forge have said, is that direct GHz comparisons don't work. We have 2.2 GHz machines and a G5 at my office, and at least comparing Photoshop, the G5 is simply faster. But, of course frontside bus, RAM speed, and hard drive speeds all factor into the equation, so these tests are STILL not really comparing apples to apples...ugh, that was one big ol' unintentional pun...

Likewise, my 1.33GHz G4 (not even a G5!) powerbook kicks my own 1.7Ghz Dell laptop's arse.

I've been fully cross plaftorm, switching between the two daily, for four years. OS X is infinitely more stable than previous iterations (and it's based on BSD Unix, not Linux, minor correction) of the MacOS. Windows, of course, is about as stable as the amount of crap you add onto it. I have a Windows XP Professional laptop and it's rock solid. But, so is my MacOS X Powerbook.

Me, I prefer each for different things, and despite being a longtime Mac user, I'm the first to criticize its shortcomings as I am with those of PC's.

Use both and you have choice. Use only one, and you'll be worrying what you are missing.

best,
    -atomick

(PS as a side note, the best PC-Mac desktop comparable machines I've found are the single-processor 2GHz G5 and the single-processor 3.2 GHz Alienware MJ-12...and you'd be amazed how similar the prices are...)
    --------------------------------------------
    freelance imagemaker + digital experience designer
    http://www.atomick.net
    --------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Originally posted by talmir
    It's running a certain type of linux
    Actually OSX runs off a UNIX kernel.
    Silly people getting Unix and Linux mixed up!

Anyway.
    As Atomick said... follow the programs. Both XP and OSX are currently pretty solid.

-toasty =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.