Sketchbook: James's Workbook Take2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

James's Workbook Take2

Sorry about that just starting the thread into the sketchbook section instead apologies for that.

Hi everyone what im basically doing is doing atleast a sketch a day speed paint or drawing and im looking for crits and feedback on how to improve.

I am studying VFX atm and have a strong interest in character design and really want to improve as the skills of drawing im hoping will keep pushing my 3D further you can be as brutal as you want, i'd rather someone said something was crap and how to improve rather then just to say its alright

Look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards

James

(braces self )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tablets definitely take some getting used to. Why don't you just use pencil and paper?

I looked at characterdesigns.com a little bit. I'd recommend set 034 Part 2 Female Nude (red head). You can actually see everything (for the most part), they are fairly good poses and views, and no weird fish-eye lenses and camera angles.

I think doing heads like that boy's from photos is a waste of your time right now. For rendering you need to start with spheres and boxes and stuff.

Same with the figure. You need to learn how to draw simple 3D shapes first. You said you're working from Loomis right? Don't just stare at the book, copy them. And do it step by step the way he shows, don't go crazy and think you can start at the end. If you learn to draw three-dimensionally right from the beginning it will give you a HUGE head start.

I'm not sure why you have that proportion scale next to your figure because you're not using it at all. If you're going to do drawings like that, start with a vertical line the height of your figure, break it up into eighths (or so, head lengths), and then start constructing the figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya at the moment i dont have space for the paper on my desk its a small desk barely has enough room for my monitor and keyboard on it so just becomes convenient to use a tablet

just before heading off to sleep right now ive started doing what a previous poster mentioned about the head planes also after doing loomis' ones in the book i decided to find a picture of someones head and just look for the planes and draw them from that. i deleted the last ones though keep making mistakes now i'm that tired

for the bodies when starting them i do what loomis says about building a base skeleton as it where then fleshing it out i just ended up rubbing out most of it in that picture but yer not sure how i managed to miss the guidlines i set myself XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so an update for today almost ran out of time as i have to get ready for work in 2 mins XD looking forward to the feedback

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking for crits, eh?

You're definitely starting out right working on proportions.

I would advise against starting so hard, though. The human form is very difficult to start with. Try something a bit easier... something like a wine bottle... measure its proportions, learn its anatomy... then draw. Try to refine it and take it to the highest level.

Then draw fancier bottles, and more complex shapes. The body will be easier to handle if you do.

Cheers

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    may give that ago the problem is i find the human form alot more interesting ill give it ago for my next drawing though mayaswel see how that goes

heres a sketch for today i did just a random photo on google i found pitty it was cut off at the waist started to get into it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another pic last one before i go bed a couple of friends and i decided to do a speed paint and i chose one from this forum the robot bird think it may have been a old one but i thought what the hell it sounds cool we gave ourselves an hour prob will take this further and paint it in.

Its supposed to be a robot kingfisher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketches. Drawing the planes from a photo is a good idea, I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    todays one going to do quite a few hand studies tomorrow not proud of this one had to hurry it as i have to get up early tomoz but said id post one a day so had to get summin together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a some hand sketches i have been doing recently hoping it will eventually help when doing full bodies and i wont be so intimidated when i see hands next stop feet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an update more hands just been studying the hands in the loomis book "drawing the head and hands" and trying to get those down and trying to see any relations as i am drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update on the hands for today just 3 more slowly making my way through loomis.

Shout if you see anything going wrong in these please

Edit: looking at it now think i am making the top of the hands to wide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A drawing from today this was a speed paint that i did with some friends found out i really cant paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    decided to go with a painting today quite a few things i need to address though after finishing i noticed the chin is to far back in the head, the forhead is to small, the right eye is not quite the right shape and i think the white is slightly to harsh

still stepping stones i guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're actually a pretty good painter, it's just the proportions that are a bit off. You already picked up on some of your errors with the portrait above, which is good. I think flipping the work as you paint will really help you as you will be able to see the works with a new eye after staring at it for so long. This will help pick up on any issues while you paint, rather than after you finish.

Good luck and keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update before i lose the internet for a while

id did what you said and it helped out quite alot think i've improved abit on the old one which is good ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just managed to hop on someones net not getting it back till monday it seems :/ heres a update not to keen on the head but will eventually end up painting an entire body XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so internets back so time to start posting again heres a painting i did for a facial study really am trying to knuckle down likeness in paintings and drawings and make my pencil markings more accurate to what i am drawing from

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another drawing think im going to do a few eye studies just to get used to drawing that almond shape XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick drawing before work for a lil competition thing me and a couple of friends are doing just thought id post it up as its different to my usual drawings and everything counts right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're showing noticeable improvements already and in such a short amount of time, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K so update for today cheers for the reply feel i may have destroyed the beautiful emma watson in my drawing hope she dont mind its a learning cuve one day i hope to get there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update for yesterday working on a female monkey character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey again just some eye studies i have been doing found a new way of doing eyes that i think give me much more believable results and help me make them more accurate then how i was doing eyes previously

The top 2 are the old way and the ones below are me slowly getting used to the method XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    decided to try a male face this time think i have improved from the last portrait and from the drawing i lowered the eyes as i noticed mid painting that actually the eyes were far to high looking at it again now prob should have brought the chin down lower with that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice improvement over a short period of time.

I would say work on blocking out the forms first and then work into the details later. Also work on real life (non photo) references more.

Last edited by Concep Tart; July 21st, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey again,

something different from the usual and will be for a while doing some enviroment concepts planning to make a short film with some friends in 3d which should be awsome heres the first concept its a dock based in the 1940's going to do quite a few though before i take it into any detail these are all quite quick so i can get lots of ideas out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another landscape this ones in colour i think i should have planned out a city in the background rather then backing straight onto a sort of countryside finding landscapes quite abit harder then i thought

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another portrait got bored of doing landscapes going back to them tommorrow i think what will help me for them is to get much more reference of them

anyways here is my attempt at Katy Perry hope you like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok minor set backs here and there but a new portrait going to concentrate on full bodys from now on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.