wtf is wrong with you guys?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wtf is wrong with you guys?

these forums are filled with knowledge, tutorials, instructions, etc... yet people keep coming here without even doing some browsing, asking for something thats for the first time (due to the internet) accessible to them anyway. yet this obviously doesnt satisfy the specific needs. it needs to be sugarcoated, conditioned to serve individual tender feelings...

could you please, for once consider that your problems aint unique and that the answer could be found, putting in some effort yourself, instead of expecting someone else to tailor it, to suit your specific problem, or mental state?

currently i see a shitload of aspiring artists coming on here, obviously thinking that the community owes them something, or that it is the greatest joy to spend an afternoon, properly voicing a critique, while only 12 minutes of effort went into the creation of the picture at hand?

[edit] only to be called out for pointing out the obvious, just because its not "add a 5 pixel wide touch of r54b47g07 with 80% opacity on the right calf 7 pixels above the ankle".... bleh

Last edited by sone_one; June 21st, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've noticed this, in fact I have very recently wrote a journal on deviantART about how beginning artists are becoming increasingly lazy (modern age maybe?) and surprisingly enough it got applauded big time (by both experienced as well as beginning artists). Any beginning artist who is serious enough about their craft will do the effort, because they have done their research and they understand what it takes. Those who aren't that serious don't really know what it takes and they think that as soon as they find the right software, the most expensive tablet and the biggest set of professional brushes from a very experienced artist, they will instantly be amazing.

Another problem is people thinking that there is no classification for good or bad art. I've had a series of extremely tiresome discussions about the matter on deviantART, where a group of people tried to argue that there is no beautiful or ugly, no good or bad in art, because all art created with the right intentions is art. For such people though you'd wonder what the hell they're even doing looking for critique.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    I've noticed this, in fact I have very recently wrote a journal on deviantART about how beginning artists are becoming increasingly lazy (modern age maybe?) and surprisingly enough it got applauded big time (by both experienced as well as beginning artists).
    I actually read your journal and I must say that I didn't like it too much.
    For all, here's the link: http://dragoness77.deviantart.com/journal/41336599/
    I think there are some fundamental issues with your viewpoint that I would have like to see addressed:
    1. "Modern" artists. I doubt that "artists" in the past have been less lazy, and there is a decline in devotion. I think what is eminent is that more and more people discover their interest in creating art through the internet, and deviantart is a great tool for everyone to dig in. And given the massive amount of users, yes- that must be a lot of "lazy modern "artists"" out there. I don't know why you regard them as "artists" anyway. As you said yourself, there is good art and bad art. I don't regard manga-wannabes and wolf-draw-madman as artists per se. I don't regard myself an artist either. I don't want to get in the discussion of what is an artist, but it strikes me that you use the term to describe a certain clientel on deviantart.
    2. Whereas I absolutely agree with your statement on "there is no shortcut for experience", I had a hard time accepting a statement such as yours "so please, put more effort into it". I think your gallery is a prime example of deviantart's social network. 90% dragons or else, generating the most favs. I do know you have a much broader range than this, but only after meeting your artworks here on CA.

I think your DA account is the answer to your question of lazy artists:
    Not that you were one of them, but the use of dA as something closer to Facebook rather than a sketchbook or a CC forum. You pick which artwork you upload, you write lots of journals and you have lots of followers- all this does not suggest that you are a hard-working artist. If I were to look at your gallery, and haven't stumbled upon CA, I would think that you are just one of those dragon-freaks who just happen to draw better than I do. That is actually what I thought. Because without the knowledge of fundamentals, one cannot appreciate works in the way that one does once you understand what lies behind. This is what the internet, and deviantart suggests. 2 days ago a tutorial got a DailyDeviation which explicitly states, and I quote:

"Where possible, draw from real images. Magazines (especially photos naturally lit, not studio lit) will be much easier to learn from than real life. Real life doesn't stay still long. Disregard this advice if your passion lies in painting fruit"
    Link: http://yasahime.deviantart.com/art/C...-Kit-208184873

Not just is it suggested that drawing was some sort of 3-step process, it is actually and actively discouraged to draw from life, which for me as a beginner was one of the most enhancing and useful things to embark on and that every single artist book out there devotes at least a couple of sentences to.

Thus, I say that internet encourages more people to pursue a path of art, but it remains an encouragement based on the social network of "artists", and not professional education or advice. It is a general phenomenon that the massive amount of tutorials and websites dedicated to subjects suggests that everyone can do it, and learn it in a day. I have encountered this when starting with Photoshop Design in 2006. It is not restricted to art or fine arts or digital art, the idea of "do it yourself in 3 steps" has become a phenomenon which the market has been happy to use, just look at video2brain, GalileoComp and other commercial products suggesting that you can do it within the time the tutorial plays.

So coming back to your journal article, this is why I think it is less about lazy artists, but an environment encouraging those who otherwise would indeed be too lazy to pick up a pencil. That said, I am sure there are many good artists living today which would have not become artists had it not been for the internet. I do not intent to criticize your deviantart presence.
    Sorry I couldn't be bothered to write a long text on deviantart, but as it feeds into a discussion here, I regarded it as useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a lot of people come here form deviant art and think " i wonder if the professionals at CA will think im as awesome as my deviant art friends" then they ask for crits... and get them.

And if this is about my thread, what was a problem i couldn't figure out after much testing, so i asked a question, which is what this place is for right?

... it better post this time

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ element1988: no its not about your thread specifically. its about the predominant prospect this subforum gets flooded with lately.

when this forum been invented, theres been a different approach. it got invented for users to get really tough indepth pointers for what they were doing (wrong)... assuming that they already had viewed most of whats been on here... i think thats been back in 2005. over time the need to have a "get pointers instead of asspats" section grew.

there are rules and pointers attached to this subforum.. instructions on how to handle this for both sides... the reviewer and the reciever. i think noone reads them anymore.
    its mostly about "who gives a fuck about whats been said previously... im special and basically the hottest new shit on earth".

for me, whats once been the toughest and therefore most rewarding experience, degraded into a "i do what i want and because im an individual with feelings and specific needs, that needs to be respected" pile of bullshit. which is tiring and devaluating.

this could really be an excelent learning resource, yet both sides have to treat it with respect and care.

if youre posting artwork here that you didnt put much effort into and neither are planing to, you are actually devaluating it for you and everybody else and thats why i take offense.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess this can be solved by putting a notice about what to do and what not to do or post in a particular forum. For example, Critiques forum should have atleast 60% completed work.

Cheer Up! World's a big place...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reason I posted my sketch of the Bat-mouse-cat thing with a beak was because I felt that it represented where I currently was up to style and skill-wise at that stage and I was really feeling frustrated at how generic it looked. So I'm not just going to apply the critiques to one piece and then ignore them after that. The advice also helps my work improve as a whole.

I also only give critiques if something really bothers me. I hate nit-picking on tiny details. It's art! Not a space rocket!

Also, sometimes uploading the fairly early stages of a drawing can save a whole lotta hassle later on. If you upload a painting with glaring anatomical mistakes, it's nearly impossible to salvage. However, if the artist knows nothing at all about the basics, they would not be able to save work even at their sketching stage. I keep links in my signature for a reason. It's so much easier to post a "See sig, follow them all." to newbies who draw sparkledogs and balloon-headed anime characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem with that Richi is that often the biggest issues occur right at the first 5-10% of a piece, since this is where the composition, perspective and blocking in takes place. Personally I have no problem with people throwing up rough sketches and thumbnails as long as they look like some thought has been put into them.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually it's good that people come here with sketches. What good is it if someone posts an already finished picture in the critique section? What are they after? I doubt many artists are going to completely revamp an already finished piece (unless that's exactly what they're trying to do). In fact, I'd say more people in the critique section should show a willingness to actually plan their drawing ahead and ask for help in the earliest stages of their work, rather than just going by what they know and not ask for critique until they are completely and utterly stuck (after which we can tell them the same thing over and over again, basically).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way I see this, your gripe is with two very different things, which I think shouldn't be mixed.

First off, rough sketches. I'll echo the other opinions stating that being whistled back on a rough sketch that's going awry without you noticing is a lot less painful than being told to start over when you're nearly done and way off the road. And I don't think the latter way is so much more educational.

I agree on the other gripe to large degree - people expecting to be given a customised manual of how exactly they'll make it from amateur to kick-ass pro artist by next Tuesday. That is common, and it is idiotic. But on the other hand, I've read several threads that you're referring to here and I'm sure the artist did put in the best he could (even if that doesn't look like much to a pro). And yes, they have all the wealth of this forum at hand and they ignored it... but not, I think, to be mean or spoiled, but because there's such an awful lot of precious information that they don't have a clue where on earth to start.

The WIP section already is for newbies. And personally, I think that as long as there are people willing to give them more customized feedback than "work on the basics" there shouldn't be a problem with that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoldSeven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldSeven View Post
    The way I see this, your gripe is with two very different things, which I think shouldn't be mixed.
    no its not. its about attitude and willingness to put serious effort into it. thats the only thing im ranting about.... fuck... post up a 14 seconds sketch to go from there, if you feel like. but its more obvious than most here seem to realize, if its ment to be a foundation, or a product. posting minor steps is actually quite educational to yourself and others... but its not if you just mean to post it and ditch any input anyway and just make it "your thing". thats redicilous and offensive.

and I'm sure the artist did put in the best he could (even if that doesn't look like much to a pro). And yes, they have all the wealth of this forum at hand and they ignored it... but not, I think, to be mean or spoiled, but because there's such an awful lot of precious information that they don't have a clue where on earth to start.
    yeah granted... yet i expect more... he aint been able to do some browsing? he aint been as humble to realize that flaws pointed out in someone elses work, applies to his aswell?... i understand that, but dont ask me to respect it please. doing art as a career aint for sissies, and just feeling like something doesnt cut it. (remember this is an applied arts forum and not about fancy feelings.)

The WIP section already is for newbies. And personally, I think that as long as there are people willing to give them more customized feedback than "work on the basics" there shouldn't be a problem with that.
    no its not? it aint for newbies, its for serious art students striving to get better at what they do... newbies are just ruining it with their careless attitude.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    no its not? it aint for newbies, its for serious art students striving to get better at what they do... newbies are just ruining it with their careless attitude.
    I diagree. Art is what you make it. There are people on this site and others who are "serious" about art; they are seeking a career, are making portfolios, are hoping that one day they will earn their daily bread by doing what they love. But that isn't all the artistic community. We're not all at the same level, and we are not all trying hard to be the best ever. Careless? How about carefree?

What about all the people here who have solid, full time jobs in a completely different industry, and draw just for the fun of it? They're not wanting a career change, they just want to get better at a hobby. Just because you sign up on a chess forum, wanting to learn to get better, doesn't mean that you want to become the world champion, and have it as a full time career.

I think you need to relax about this. If you don't want to see posts from people asking for help, then don't look through this section.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    What about all the people here who have solid, full time jobs in a completely different industry, and draw just for the fun of it? They're not wanting a career change, they just want to get better at a hobby. Just because you sign up on a chess forum, wanting to learn to get better, doesn't mean that you want to become the world champion, and have it as a full time career.

I think you need to relax about this. If you don't want to see posts from people asking for help, then don't look through this section.
    You're missing the point. No one is ranting or venting about people who come here seeking help or respond politely to critique. I've said it at least six different ways in here. The problem is when people bitch about you not holding their hand and helping them every step of the way. They want a "paint by numbers" approach and for you to lay it out for them. That is the problem, not people asking for help.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not trying to say that my inputs are invalueable, but are you sure, its what you want this to be, if you ask people to just leave, because they express the feeling this could be handled better? (remember jeff, dpaint, venger, etc obviously are having similar notions about that.)

Last edited by sone_one; June 22nd, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,887 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I diagree. Art is what you make it. There are people on this site and others who are "serious" about art; they are seeking a career, are making portfolios, are hoping that one day they will earn their daily bread by doing what they love. But that isn't all the artistic community. We're not all at the same level, and we are not all trying hard to be the best ever. Careless? How about carefree?

I have to disagree and and I agree with sone-one. The responsibility is with the people asking for free help not the people giving it. I rarely make ad hominum attacks but that is what I get more often than not from offering my advice or opinion. My take is if you don't want an honest opinion don't post here because I ain't going away ever, till they drag me out feet first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree on the other gripe to large degree - people expecting to be given a customised manual of how exactly they'll make it from amateur to kick-ass pro artist by next Tuesday. That is common, and it is idiotic. But on the other hand, I've read several threads that you're referring to here and I'm sure the artist did put in the best he could (even if that doesn't look like much to a pro). And yes, they have all the wealth of this forum at hand and they ignored it... but not, I think, to be mean or spoiled, but because there's such an awful lot of precious information that they don't have a clue where on earth to start.

This.

For every lazy newbie who expects to become a professional within a week there's an arrogant "experienced" artist who thinks himself above critiquing newbies' work beyond giving them a vague "work on the basics" answer. It does not occur to these guys that some newbies might misinterpret what they're studying and keep on rendering it inaccurately until someone points out their error. As an example, I've done many leg studies, but I would always get the knees wrong until someone was kind enough to tell me exactly how they looked wrong. Were it not for that particular piece of feedback I would keep getting them wrong.

That is why newbies may demand customized feedback. And frankly, aren't critiques in general customized feedback?

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Pilcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Pilcher View Post
    This.

For every lazy newbie who expects to become a professional within a week there's an arrogant "experienced" artist who thinks himself above critiquing newbies' work beyond giving them a vague "work on the basics" answer. It does not occur to these guys that some newbies might misinterpret what they're studying and keep on rendering it inaccurately until someone points out their error. As an example, I've done many leg studies, but I would always get the knees wrong until someone was kind enough to tell me exactly how they looked wrong. Were it not for that particular piece of feedback I would keep getting them wrong.

That is why newbies may demand customized feedback. And frankly, aren't critiques in general customized feedback?
    lol at least he is putting in the effort of posting input?... did it ever occur to you that there are more satisfying things than "oh yeah today i helped an ignorant newbie"?

why would you want to rely on wellmeant input, if you could get there yourself?

do your homework and people will treat you with respect... rely on someone elses effort and you already lost.... seriously how thickheaded can you be to not get this into your head????

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

26. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    lol at least he is putting in the effort of posting input?... did it ever occur to you that there are more satisfying things than "oh yeah today i helped an ignorant newbie"?

why would you want to rely on wellmeant input, if you could get there yourself?

do your homework and people will treat you with respect... rely on someone elses effort and you already lost.... seriously how thickheaded can you be to not get this into your head????
    I think you misunderstood his post, because there's actually a road inbetween the one you're aiming for and the one you think he's describing. While I completely agree with your statement that artists should put more effort into actually looking up their own references and studying material, I also agree that telling a beginner who is looking for some kind of direction to "study the basics" is not really helping them. They probably know they need to study the basics, but what are the basics? Where to begin? There is so much to art, there are so many different subjects that need to be studied, so sometimes it doesn't hurt to be at least a little more specific.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you misunderstood his post, because there's actually a road inbetween the one you're aiming for and the one you think he's describing. While I completely agree with your statement that artists should put more effort into actually looking up their own references and studying material, I also agree that telling a beginner who is looking for some kind of direction to "study the basics" is not really helping them. They probably know they need to study the basics, but what are the basics? Where to begin? There is so much to art, there are so many different subjects that need to be studied, so sometimes it doesn't hurt to be at least a little more specific.
    its just 5 words... elements and principles of design... i assume anyone posting on here can handle a search engine/wikipedia?

seriously there are as many starting points, noone can keep a tracking record. yet the readiness to investigate is lacking big time.

jeff is mentioning curiosity ... and thats probably what i ment to say.... if you aint interested enough to do your own investigations... what a fucking prick are you to expect anyone else to, and serve it to you one a golden plate?

do you want to get there? put in the effort.
    dont you care? dont waste my time, i had to put into clicking on your thread, reading it, and hitting the back-button.

this section once had guys like dan dos santos (dsillustration), and ron lemen (fredflickstone) replying.

just ask yourself before posting here... is this rather going to attract the ones im learning from or is this going to drive them off.

everyone that posts here is responsible for what this evolves into.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This.

Why do you guys think it is arrogant to tell someone they need to work on the basics? Do you think pros or experienced artists didn't absolutely SUCK at some point and were told to work on the basics? Or read it in any of the books on "how to"? And eventually when they started working on teh basics things fell into place?

I'm outa here.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Why do you guys think it is arrogant to tell someone they need to work on the basics? Do you think pros or experienced artists didn't absolutely SUCK at some point and were told to work on the basics? Or read it in any of the books on "how to"? And eventually when they started working on teh basics things fell into place?

I'm outa here.
    It's not arrogant at all, but I think it's simply less useful than you think it is. It seems very logical to anyone who is already far past that stage, to just "learn the basics". But that's like telling someone who has zero understanding of the human body and wants to become a surgeon to "just learn the basics" as well. They will still be lost, because there is so much to learn, it's really quite intimidating. You could tell them to just start somewhere, but where is that? That's why, for example, linking them to the Loomis books when they are trying to learn anatomy, or to Gurney's "Color and Light" when they need to focus on that, is more useful than just saying that they need to work on the fundamentals. I know this isn't what you usually do and I'm not accusing you of anything, but I've seen more experienced artists do that to "newbs" and they then get ticked off if said "newb" is still, or even more, confused. I think they may have forgotten what was like to be a newb.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This.
    For every lazy newbie who expects to become a professional within a week there's an arrogant "experienced" artist who thinks himself above critiquing newbies' work beyond giving them a vague "work on the basics" answer.
    If I stop by side of the road to give you a ride you don't get to call me up again to give you rides whenever you want. And if I only choose to give you a ride halfway it doesn't give you the right to bitch about how arrogant I am for not driving you to your door and helping you out of the car. Nor do you get to bitch about the kind of car I'm riding, the music I listen to or the fact that I don't share my coffee with you.

Nobody owes newbies anything, Brandon. If you don't like it you know where you can find books and courses.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    If I stop by side of the road to give you a ride you don't get to call me up again to give you rides whenever you want. And if I only choose to give you a ride halfway it doesn't give you the right to bitch about how arrogant I am for not driving you to your door and helping you out of the car. Nor do you get to bitch about the kind of car I'm riding, the music I listen to or the fact that I don't share my coffee with you.

Nobody owes newbies anything, Brandon. If you don't like it you know where you can find books and courses.
    But we're not talking about a situation where someone gave me a ride once and I'm asking them for rides again and again. A better analogy would be me asking for directions for the first time and someone telling me "find your own way back" despite me not knowing how to get back in the first place.

I admit that I chose my words poorly when I said "demand" in the other thread, and I am sorry for that, but I see nothing wrong with asking for a little more help than "figure it out for yourself".

And I notice that when quoting me you omitted this part, which explains exactly why the kind of answer you want to give me isn't always helpful:

It does not occur to these guys that some newbies might misinterpret what they're studying and keep on rendering it inaccurately until someone points out their error. As an example, I've done many leg studies, but I would always get the knees wrong until someone was kind enough to tell me exactly how they looked wrong. Were it not for that particular piece of feedback I would keep getting them wrong.

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...but I see nothing wrong with asking for a little more help than "figure it out for yourself".
    Because in the end you DO have to figure it out for yourself.

Music is even a better analogy:

Student: I don't get why I can't play Segovia?
    Teacher: Well, you need to learn your scales, practice chord shanges, etc.

Following week...
    Student: I still can't play Segovia!
    Teacher: Did you work on your scales? Chord progressions?
    Student: No, I wanna play Segovia!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

39. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This really has more to do with human psychology in general rather than just aspiring artists doing this. But I'll shoot:

While it's easy to understand what it is to do a critique when you're actually able to spot the specific shortcomings of the artist and the artpiece(s), and you've actually made such (a) critique(s), a lot of the people who are starting out, don't really comprehend what lies behind it. This is because they don't have the empathetic abilities or the experience necessary to know what it's like on the "other side".

This in turn can lead to scenarios where the artist will misbehave so to speak. People want to improve, but they don't always want to accept that the road towards improving can be a lot harder than to learn that magic trick that will immedatly make them masters. This doesn't make them stupid or any less of a person than yourself or anything though (not implying that that's your view.) It just makes them less experienced and somewhat ignorant to elements that they should be aware of.

There is no substantial proof for artists becoming lazier than before either. (nor any way to prove it given the subjectivity of what is "lazy" and not.) What might be the case giving such an impression (in addition to becoming grumpier and more critical of "the youth today" as one grows older.) could be that given the flow of so much information today, many might expect information in regards to how to actually improve their skills to be as easily available and digestable as the comparative information that is spread out there.

Having a cap of 60% done (which would be arbitrarily decided since an artwork isn't static, but rather dynamic.) makes little sense. Sure, one should expect some effort put into the work if they expect to get some effort in terms of critiques for their work, but that is a very self-correcting process since the people giving critiques here have a good sense of what took effort and what didn't, and will respond depending on how much effort has been put into a work up for critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LordLouis: Be careful with your assumptions. Just because someone is active in a community does not make them lazy in their profession, not even if that community may seem a useless waste of time to you. Particularly the line where you said;

"I would think that you are just one of those dragon-freaks who just happen to draw better than I do."

They happen to draw better than you do? I'm sorry, but nobody just "happens" to draw better than anyone. They draw better than you because they have more experience in doing so. That fact doesn't change just because they draw a lot of dragons.

Yes, I am active on DeviantART. Have been for six years and probably will be for many years to come. Indeed, it's an art community that works somewhat like FaceBook. But how many artists are a member of FaceBook besides their profession? I bet lots of them. I'm not a member of FaceBook, because DeviantART offers practically the same just with more people who share my interest. This is only a bad thing if you are blind to the opportunities it actually offers. I got my first as well as my best paid commissions off of DeviantART and I can quite safely say that without that website, I would not have got as far as I am now. Don't judge something you've never been part of just because you heard stuff about it.

Although I do have to agree with you that there are a lot of misleading articles as well as actually misleading artists on there. Every community has it's rotten apples, some just more than others. I've no idea how anyone could counter that, but it may contribute to the amount of derailed beginning artists, I guess.

Last edited by Lhune; June 21st, 2011 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LordLouis: Be careful with your assumptions. Just because someone is active in a community does not make them lazy in their profession, not even if that community may seem a useless waste of time to you. Particularly the line where you said;

"I would think that you are just one of those dragon-freaks who just happen to draw better than I do."

They happen to draw better than you do? I'm sorry, but nobody just "happens" to draw better than anyone. They draw better than you because they have more experience in doing so. That fact doesn't change just because they draw a lot of dragons.

Yes, I am active on DeviantART. Have been for six years and probably will be for many years to come. Indeed, it's an art community that works somewhat like FaceBook. But how many artists are a member of FaceBook besides their profession? I bet lots of them. I'm not a member of FaceBook, because DeviantART offers practically the same just with more people who share my interest. This is only a bad thing if you are blind to the opportunities it actually offers. I got my first as well as my best paid commissions off of DeviantART and I can quite safely say that without that website, I would not have got as far as I am now. Don't judge something you've never been part of just because you heard stuff about it.

Although I do have to agree with you that there are a lot of misleading articles as well as actually misleading artists on there. Every community has it's rotten apples, some just more than others. I've no idea how anyone could counter that, but it may contribute to the amount of derailed beginning artists, I guess.
    I don't understand why you take this as an offense now. I merely stated, I didn't judge- I wouldn't "watch" you or read your journals or participate in your polls if I found it a stupid thing to do. I am on deviantart since my teenage years, and I have stated my assumptions from back then, because as I said, without the knowledge, it is not possible to appreciate the difference between a solid work and a solid copy of work.

Where do I judge you? I said multiple times that I know about your skills, and your effort, and your range. I did. What I was talking about it impressions. If a 16 year old teenie girl comes on deviantart and sees your account, do you think they will go along the lines of "wow, solid anatomy and understanding of form and value"? I haven't heard "stuff" about it, I am a member of deviantart. My artistic skill does not match yours, and I am unable to get requests for comissions- but I would love to (so, quite the contrary to what you said).

As for the last paragraph, yes absolutely. That is what I was trying to say, enhancing it with the example of your own dA account- which I obviously have misrepresented and I apologize. I do not intend to start some furious argument here, sorry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    What I was talking about it impressions. If a 16 year old teenie girl comes on deviantart and sees your account, do you think they will go along the lines of "wow, solid anatomy and understanding of form and value"?

As for the last paragraph, yes absolutely. That is what I was trying to say, enhancing it with the example of your own dA account- which I obviously have misrepresented and I apologize. I do not intend to start some furious argument here, sorry.
    I wasn't feeling offended by you personally, really . I didn't feel like you were judging me either, but more the entire community of deviantART. I had the feeling you were suggesting that everyone on DA conforms to a stereotype, when you will find, as I hope you have, that there are actually many different groups of artists on deviantART, among which there are actually some who do know what they're talking about.

And yes, I have actually had 15, 16 and 17 year olds commenting on my understanding of anatomy, light and color. Like I said, they really aren't all the same. There is plenty of potential on that site, they just don't really know it themselves yet, and let's face it, the outside doesn't really let them either. A lot of deviantART members are literally afraid of this forum and no matter how much I try to tell them otherwise, they don't dare to join here until they have gotten better, but deviantART won't help them get better much. It's an endless cycle they're getting stuck in.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,887 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just to be clear for the really dense out there; when Jeff or me or sone-one or others say you should stop what your doing and work on the basics, it means learn to to copy a simple contour exactly. Cube, sphere, cone. Then render light on its form correctly. Then design simple elements into a composition. Forget about drawing people or environments until you can draw a piece of fruit correctly and render it to look convincing. Not good enough that your mom likes it or your BF or GF but well enough that a pro likes it. Seriously, to not do it that way will add years to your learning process and most likely will keep you a fan wannabe for the rest of your life.

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Just to be clear for the really dense out there; when Jeff or me or sone-one or others say you should stop what your doing and work on the basics, it means learn to to copy a simple contour exactly. Cube, sphere, cone. Then render light on its form correctly. Then design simple elements into a composition. Forget about drawing people or environments until you can draw a piece of fruit correctly and render it to look convincing. Not good enough that your mom likes it or your BF or GF but well enough that a pro likes it. Seriously, to not do it that way will add years to your learning process and most likely will keep you a fan wannabe for the rest of your life.
    Alright, but how is a beginner supposed to read exactly that into the simple line "learn the basics"? What you just said would be a hundred times more useful when it takes what, roughly 30 seconds longer to type? That's the point I've been trying to make.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1