Art: Need help with expanding my horizons

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need help with expanding my horizons

Not sure if this is the right place, but recently I've hit a wall and realised that all I draw is cutesy generic characters all the time. I asked a friend for advice and he replied "Draw a spaceship".
    "Fair enough." I thought. "Spaceships aren't generic characters." And so I began doodling in my sketchbook.

Spaceships. Are. Hard!!! Seriously, how am I supposed to reference something that only exists as a chunk of wiring or a giant firework in real life?! I know with fantasy creatures you reference different animals that are similar to eah part of the animal. So does this man that I should use cars and boats and stuff? Every time I think about trying that, all I can think of is the Jettsons...

So how on earth do you draw spaceships and similar "alien" concepts? I really have no clue...I don't even have a sketh to put here...

Help me expand my artwork!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would start with looking at references of our space ships, planes, and other vehicles. After you get a pretty good idea on how those are designed then start trying to recreate them but juxtaposed them with different elements such as different types of animals or shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some places to look for inspiration on where to start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRON7yGuiEI

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL#p/u/3/NiFDYZ1QxtU

Think about how it's supposed to work, even if you're talking technobabble, and then go from there. It's a lot like anatomy and physiology--it's not always about what is *there* so much as what it *does.* Try to encourage yourself to think like a designer, not like someone who copies or manipulates just what they see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol I thought about posting that actually. His demos are soooooo helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou so much for the help! I'll get to practicing tomorrow! I decided to venture out from the WIP section because things are getting a little heated in there...I thought that exploring strange and exotic places would be a refreshing change all round! Although I should probably post results there and not here...XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rather than suggest additional reference, I wanted to suggest something else that might help you in the long run;

It's important to remember that there is no difference in what you are painting/drawing aside from subject matter. The difference in difficulty lies in your head.

Everything you paint/draw follows the same basic rules of perspective, form, etc. so whether you are trying to create a building, a character, a spaceship... anything... it's all the same.

It's a bit tricky to get your head around this idea when you first start out (I know from my own experience) but once you stop trying to draw outlines and start creating forms, you'll wonder how you could have ever considered painting/drawing any other way.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.