Art: Peter La's Portfolio for Concept Art & Illustration

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Peter La's Portfolio for Concept Art & Illustration

Hello,

I am an artist who has worked in the mobile UI design field for the past several years and am trying to transition into a career in concept art for games or freelance illustration for print & web. I am not sure which is best for me yet (concept art or illustration), as I do enjoy aspects of both.

I am in the process of applying to video game companies at the moment and would love to get some feedback on my portfolio. I realize I am currently very light on environments and vehicles/props -- I'm working to fix that ASAP.

Specifically, I'd like to know where you think I stand in terms of getting a shot at a concept art position or freelance illustration work. Am I close or way off? What am I missing in terms of pieces or a specific aspect of my work? What am I doing well or poorly?

www.krop.com/peterla

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Peter.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really like it.

As a critique it might be a little weak on "Real World" characters, locations and vehicles, but I suppose your studies section make up for this. I notice the difference between your labour of love and your learning though.

-Rasmus

Rasmus Poulsen - www.technouveau.net

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice stuff overall. If you plan on doing concept art I'd get some more environments in there. Also for the sketches/studies section there's a weird contrast between the gars and their surroundings. It makes it look like you half painted over a photo as the resolutions don't seem to match up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atrum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very nice, dig your style! A lot of the designs are left really loose, it would be great to see some really tightened up, finished versions of some of these as well.

Keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi fellas,

Thank you all for your comments! I appreciate your time.

The comments about creating pieces in a super-fleshed out style and creating more real world stuff resonate with me. I've been wanting to do both, and will strive to do so in the near future.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks
    Wow I love your mark making. Very expressive and intuitive.

Great job and all the best in what will undoubtedly be a fulfilling career!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Holdemsworth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For me- your cars' and houses' paintings were the coolest i've seen. Same goes for the characters, in short bookmarked and will be studying ur work.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to psychoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Holdemsworth, psychoboy: Thanks for the kind words! Every comment is greatly appreciated. Working hard to improve now... and hopefully make a living at this soon.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks
    as some one who is striving for the same thing as you I would dare to give you some advice that I think would be true, as a concept artist you would probably need some more finished and detailed works, like really crisp characters where you can see their faces and the guns they are holding and the type of costume/armor they have, all those little details are necessary for the 3D modeler to integrate into a live character from your 2D design, there all there's to it, in my opinion if you want a great school on Concept art go to massiveblack.com and look at their portfolio and you'll see what I'm getting to.
    Good luck bro

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So we are in the same city trying to get the same type of job in a limited market. If I were an emplorer and saw both of our portfolios, I would choose you. Your work is very professional looking, if lacking in a few details. I see you worked for rim for a while. Congrats.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wilkerson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Danny_K:
    Thanks for your comments, and yes, I couldn't agree more. About both fleshing out stuff to a production-ready state as well as the Massive Black work being an awesome resource -- it is some of the best stuff I've seen out there, a very good measuring stick.

wilkerson:
    Thanks -- I wouldn't downplay yourself, however. You have some good stuff going on. Just keep going and don't quit.

Thanks
    Gorgeous work, keep it up!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OldOmen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks OldOmen!

Thanks
    I think your portfolio is great. The (web)design is simple and clean and really shows your work well. And for your illustrations; I really like your style, especially the characters.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to watdekikker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're really good on the technical side in colors especially values. Maybe its due to your past education. Your character designs have that warp, "fashion look" elongated futuristic stunning look. Are you working towards being a character designer as I'm assuming that is up on the first list? If yes then probably Danny is right on the face/detail of things.

But maybe its just a style that you're creating because looking at the sketches and other sections of your portfolio, you definitely can draw kick ass faces and details.

Hope to see more stuff

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dim5um For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    watdekikker: Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the style.

Dim5um: Thank you. I don't want to restrict myself to one category of design/illustration, but I do really enjoy character work. It's perhaps my favorite at this point, although I still love doing vehicles. I'm currently working on some new characters that will feature more unobstructed faces and greater definition of detail.

Thanks
    As someone who's had a fairly heavy hand in hiring concept artists previously (albeit for a fantasy genre game) I'd say that your style's pretty cool and unique and as a fellow artist, I'd certainly be willing to give youa shot, but everything feels very similar - almost like it was all done for the same game. I'd be looking for maybe one or two pieces that show you aren't just a one trick pony in terms of style. It's also very difficult to actualy ascertain what your design skills are like from a clothing point of view with many of those character sketches. Technically, your stuff is awesome, but bare in mind that you could also be dealing with art directors who might be more concerned with how well your design translates into a 3d model, rather than how cool the 2d styele is (though sometimes I wish there were more of these!) and your designs are sketchy at best - how can I tell whether tjhose sci fi designs are soomething I've never seen before, or whether you're just using that sketchy style to hide a lack of real knowledge of what's going on within the clothing?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Zephyri,

Thanks for taking the time to go over my stuff and offer your opinion - it's much appreciated! You make a lot of valid points and I will take them to heart for present and future portfolio work. Certainly, the issues of unresolved detail and lack of variety echo what some other posters have said. I am working hard to improve on these.

Thanks so much again, it means a lot to me to have someone as experienced as you in the industry offer feedback and encouragement. This is just what I was looking for when I decided to post here.

Cheers.

Ps. Love your work! It's very impressive.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.