Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts

a lesson for all of us

Black Spot posted this video in the "cheer me up thread " (post #9669 ) I was so struck by this that I thought it needs its own little place. "Why?" you might ask ...

I think that this is an important lesson for all of us, a lesson in humility and gratitude. I dont want to judge about your lives, but I do think most of us had a quite normal - not to say sheltered - live ( I did ) and we sometimes tend to forget what this live demands from us and especially from people who do have to spend their lives in much harder conditions or circumstances than most of us could even imagine.

I dont even dare to compare my live to his, but I simply can say that mine has been nothing but a nice trip alongside some minor problems and still I havent managed to really capitalize on this comfortable situation - because I am simply not strong enough. And its for me a great lesson, every time anew I stumble across such fates that I have to try harder and push further simply because I have to be thankful for the opportunities that are laid in front of me ...opportunities other people have to fight for every minute of their live.

Sebastian
    Last edited by Partisan; June 20th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    If anyone had a reason to be bitter about life, it would be that kid. Pretty cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Reminds me of this thread. There's no excuses to make, if you want to improve, then you need to work for it.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've got tears dripping into my muesli. Holy shit. Never going to complain again.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    i cant complain about my art being sucky anymore. cuz its all my fault

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Yeah seriously, this damn near made me tear up at work. NSFW.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 4,637 Posts
    There are a number of news stories coming out that make it look not quite as a fairy tale as it first seems, but then I stumbled on this site where it gives a more in depth look at his life says he had tinnitus from a car accident. Even if some people helped him, he went looking for it and still chased his dream.

I got the original from Karyl Gilbertson (a CA member) on twitter.

Thanks
    Dang, that's pretty amazing.

Thanks
    I feel kinda silly saying it but that actually made me cry. I can fully respect chasing your dreams, and when someone has to chase it this hard it just makes me realize how easy a lot of us have it... even when things seem bad.

Thanks
    I'm glad they took this show out of britan becuase we really dont have all that much talent.

feel sad for that kid. I hope he did / does get somewhere

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    i love her reaction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    regardless of his background, I love his singing.

American Idol came under a lot of scrutiny for being a sob fest, where it would just accept people regardless if they could actually sing, just so they can talk about their unfortunate upbringings on air. Sad stories touch us emotionally, and when we are emotionally attached = more ratings for the show. Sorry I don't see this as any different. His story is indeed touching, but I don't think Korea's got talent is the right platform for this; it just seems like they're cashing in on it (which they are if this vid is viral)

Or maybe I don't know... when it comes to shows like this, should the performance be separated from the artist and their life? Would people be interested in his singing if he didn't mention his life? I still would be personally, but I question if the show's executives' would be.
    So they intentionally sought him out just because of his "sob" story right? I don't even watch the show, but it's common sense what makes the "Got Talent" series entertaining are the contestants. They are the main interest of the show and getting to know them is what makes it. Seriously who in their right mind would spend time watching amateur singing? Besides, knowing the artists background allows them to connect better with the singing.

Yes the producers run the show to make money. What isn't done for money in this world? Very little. But that doesn't automatically make them $_$ faced pigs who can't appreciate something special when they see it.

Imo if you can't even watch a 8 minute video clip without thinking about the nonexistent ill intentions then idk what to say. Lighten up?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    So they intentionally sought him out just because of his "sob" story right? I don't even watch the show, but it's common sense what makes the "Got Talent" series entertaining are the contestants. They are the main interest of the show and getting to know them is what makes it. Seriously who in their right mind would spend time watching amateur singing? Besides, knowing the artists background allows them to connect better with the singing.

Yes the producers run the show to make money. What isn't done for money in this world? Very little. But that doesn't automatically make them $_$ faced pigs who can't appreciate something special when they see it.

Imo if you can't even watch a 8 minute video clip without thinking about the nonexistent ill intentions then idk what to say. Lighten up?
    Well, Zwarrior never said the singing or his talent was bad, he said he loved the singing. He is right though, while this guy's definitely got a lot of talent, the producers do reel the audience in by having a (very touching) story of the contestant.

Note: That's why they have the contestent say a bit about themselves before singing, not just because it makes logical sense to introduce yourself then perform, but it IS to tug at the heart strings to make the performance more endearing... ultimately this does result in higher ratings.

That's not dismissing this guy in any way though, you could just as easily have him pop up onto stage, have him say his name then sing and it'd still be amazing... But what if the guy didn't want to disclose that troubled past to the entire audience? I'd be hesitant to do that if I were in his shoes... but at the same time you know that it DOES help with the 'sympathy vote'.

Again, I'm not disrespecting this guy, he has a great voice and I'm happy to see things are turning around for him, but I'm extremely happy for him because I know his troubled background beforehand. And the producers know that that's where the extra monetary gain lies.