CHow#249 :: Warrior Alice - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @elhero: Oh my! You don't know Brom!? Well, maybe its probably because, unlike myself, you weren't born in the eighties. At least in the early eighties. Well, I know that it is off topic, but I can't resist talking about one of my favorite artists. If some moderator find my post inadequate, feel free to delete it. But I'll try to be brief.

Gerald Brom is an American illustrator. He became famous after drawing some important illustrations for a (now defunct) AD&D (Now just D&D) fantastic world called Darksun. It was a desertic medieval world where mages are the villains. They had destroyed the nature by stealing the vital force of it to create magic. It is something like a post apocalyptic barbarian fantasy. Anyway... Brom created some memorable illustrations for this world. You can check some here:
    http://peoplepern.narod.ru/img/brom_gerald/brom_140.jpg
    http://membres.multimania.fr/skanlon...romRotFang.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/dragons_sanctum/br_79.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/dragons_sanctum/br_80.jpg

Brom also created some fantastic artwork for some very important, historical and iconic games and RPGs, like Heretic (http://members.xoom.it/katrinchen/vo...brom_druid.jpg), Doom (http://www.robotvsbadger.com/wp-cont...07/brom081.jpg), Vampire (http://www.egyptsons.com/gallery/dat...nightbells.jpg) and Diablo (http://lcart2.narod.ru/image/fantasy..._diablo_II.jpg)

The guy is not working that much anymore. He is pursuing some solo writer/illustrator career. Kinda cool, but not as much as those ones I showed you, in my humble opinion.

I said your work looked like his, because once he did a illustration, for darksun, of a rider riding a big draconian monster, in a composition that looked like yours.

Anyway, if you already knew some of this info, I hope someone that doesn`t find it useful.

@Quinn Simoes: Wow man!!! Another brilliant work. I know it is on the earlier stages, but it is already looking amazing.

@electric_sandal: Much better now! It looks a lot more dynamic.

@PS Zant: We all need practice, my friend. Anyway... I like the fury of your character, but I think the frontal, middle, camera angle you choose too conservative. I hope you don't mind my comment.

@SuadK: The image is a little too big for analysis, but it is looking good so far. But even if you are not using a background, I think you should put some color, or some shadow, behind her to create more contrast.

@Narko and Physicalpariah: Very good guys! You both are very fast!!! Both images and compositions are looking very good. Strong entries.

@daniorrr: beautiful!!! Very good man. Its a relatively conservative approach (much like mine), but its looking very well done.

@Box Face Jones and Smolin: Both are creating very original and interesting armors. Now I regret having choose a basic outfit.

@Paolo13: Freaking awesome!!!! Still one of my favorites. She looks a little older than a late teen... but who cares?! Its terrific!

@Jager: Holy #%@*! Its great! What can I say?! You have my vote even if you decide to let it go at this stage.

@jenny7332: Beautiful metal texture! I like the noble pose. Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with you! I am planning big changes for my piece. Maybe tomorrow. Its 6 a.m. I Must sleep!!!

Sorry not reviewing everyone. Again, there are too many people this time.

Cheers folks.

Last edited by Hellfire; June 24th, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
    "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Blog

Sketchbook

Deviant
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hellfire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first colour pass

colours first in, pretty rough atm

Attached Images Attached Images  
    And somewhere along the line, she came down with a serious case of dead.

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit late to the party but a few rough sketches.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brashen: I'm digging those initial sketches- hope to see more!

Here's my lame pencil drawing. Once again my piece is already failing to live up to the idea I had for it No time to mope though, on to inks as soon as I get home tonight!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreoilin For This Useful Post:

GEB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much finished for now, will tweak it some before the finals thread is posted.

Absolutely blown away by the quality of work on this topic, you're all doing really well! loving it all.

And somewhere along the line, she came down with a serious case of dead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obviously there is still a long way to go and I will be amazed if I manage to pull it off, especially with having to work pretty much all of this weekend but seeing as a couple of you have asked for a wip here ya go.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reall looking forward to colouring this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
    @elhero:
    @PS Zant: We all need practice, my friend. Anyway... I like the fury of your character, but I think the frontal, middle, camera angle you choose too conservative. I hope you don't mind my comment.
    Of coarse I dont mind your comment I wanna thank you for it. I'm here to learn and I need to learn a lot. When I see all the entries I feel sucky. So I still have a very long way to go, but I will get there someday. I know that I need to start drawing every day and this gives me the motivation for it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PS Zant For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far today...

Nominal background, boots and more on the Cat.

Physicalpariah - that's really come together, really like her posture, looks commanding.

dVargas - great sketches, hope you get some colours down.

Smolin - ditto, love the traditional look of your Alice and she's post-apocalyptic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironbyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    daniorrr
    Great rendering

Paolo13
    Very nice.

SuadK
    Great characher

JoshBuzzee
    Great cartoonish style.

Jager
    Brilliant

gloombunny
    Awesam attitude in the characher.

Quinn Simoes
    Great.

Hellfire
    I like it. Why not have the chainsaw running with some smoke

GEB
    Very nice

Mr. Gadbury
    Like her very much

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be putting the finals thread up after I've eaten. Until then, here is another update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was going to post as update of my wip with some comments to other awsome artists but will do the comment part tomorrow when im less tired.

So just the wip for now.
    Alice finaly went completly mental and in the asylum she followed a white rabbit back to the wonderland. She was tired of all the strange people and animals that didnt make much sence so she went postal on the place.

My Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=239346

-In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @RachelP - She's terrifying! I love the mushrooms, too, and how well everything fades into the background. The birds are nice for scale, but I'd move them away from her head a bit, maybe?

@Revidescent - glorious palette! Strangely beatific - Really looks like a book cover.

@Csumlin - progressing nicely! It would be good if you put the axe blade in perspective a bit - maybe turn it slightly towards the viewer? It might help add some more movement to your piece.

@Nocebo - just noticed the cat! Love him. What is she holding in her right hand?

@Gloombunny - I love how she's coming along. The fringe of her skirt looks like it has volume and a ton of texture - almost photoreal.

@Elhero - Coming along beautifully! The gun sort of disappears a bit against the color of the cat's side. The cat's face / head also looks a bit flat compared to full volumes of alice's body and head. Love her far-away stare.

@Jager - you've got something awesome going on here - she looks both vulnerable and dangerous. The restraints on her ankles are a subtle touch. Have her clutch the bunny even tighter!

@Kahel - street fighter meets peter pan, maybe? Look forward to seeing the rest.

Think I need to desat the garden a bit...

Last edited by Kahboom; June 24th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kahboom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah! so many great entries!
    Thanks for feedback guys

Here's my small update in values.. better color it soon..
    I'm still having problem with her leg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like it needs a background, thanks for the comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eralfralos, I did a quick and sloppy paintover of the leg - Sorry for the blurriness. I think it would look a little better if the stocking wrapped around a little more, I also changed the shape a touch because the bend in the knee seemed a bit too much of a long curve (if that makes any sense?) Also I widened the calf a touch.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadbury For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only had a couple of hours to work on this last night, and I spent it basically just painting and repainting the head. It's still not QUITE right, but if I don't move on to everything else, this'll never get finished in time. I've only barely touched the rest of it, so it's looking really piecemeal right now. (...her sword looks like a stick.) I think right now I need to stop for a bit and do a study of something, anything. =|

Name:  AliceNew2.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  93.4 KB

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moved the far leg up and across and thickened it slightly,i'm still thinking about colours constantly while rendering the rest of it, working my way down to the army below.

At first this was sketched with the army marching with her as it were, but I plan on changing it so that they are in fact the enemy and will be facing her and shooting or fleeing in fear.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachel Pierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JUst a small update. Having trouble resizing the image for some reason when i upload it it is always small anyway any critque is welcome, i'm looking to learn

Finally got the image to the right size XD now thats what i call progress thanks for the help Mr Gadbury

Last edited by Mistermike; June 25th, 2011 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rachel Pierce - I imagined initially they they were the enemy marching towards her. Might look good to have them pointing pikes or something up towards Alice. Looking forward to seeing yours finished. Really nice illustration!

Mistermike - If you go to the view tab, then 'actual pixels', it should show the true size of the image. Whenever I make a JPEG of my pictures, I do that before changing the image size to get it about right for the forum.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadbury For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostcookie View Post
    I will be honest, when doing this task I felt a bit the same, but ended up doing that very kind of design. I don't normally draw women, and don't know what people find appealing about them, so really the only reference I have to "attractive" women is what I'm shown by the public as I have 0 intrest in them.

However, I think that there being an array of male character designs is false. The majority look like Sheperd from mass effect. White male with slight stubble. People are begining to notice;however, being that the majority of gamers are male they probably are not looking at the sex appeal. Which means they arn't looking for certain things that tick their boxes, or any kind of uniqueness that suits their fancy. And a good example : http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50...3923304565.jpg

I think the industry is just lacking in some real diversity at the moment. And at the end of the day, it's up to us to change that i guess..
    Holy sexism, batman!
    I too am tired of the whole "big boob, big gun, bare midriff" thing, but even if you don't recognize women as aesthetically or sexually appealing, you could recognize them as people with specific character traits that could potentially lend themselves to original, appealing design qualities. I hate to use myself as an example, but I'm going to anyway. I haven't posted my entry for this CHOW yet, but my design for Alice is based on her character as I know it from the original books. She is a curious, imaginative, accepting, whimsical, and perhaps a tad lazy- all non-physical aspects that I am making a part of her design. I find it kind of sad that someone who isn't attracted to women still can't see past their boobs, butts, and vaginas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't think I'll get this polished up in time but If I get a minute free I'll at least do a nice patch job and then finish it in my own time :3

Not really here for the poll anyways just the practise.

sorry I still didn't do crits cause of having minus time and I should be getting my nightly 4 hours kip already!

(Game characters, blabla, 15 pixels and some green hair all games play the same and popular !/= inovative. Otherwise people would still be playing dreamcast and rez and so on. If you don't like it, fix it.)

You're all awesome and there's so many sexy alices here, I just wana see the finals already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the way everybodys pieces are coming out. Sadly I will be away from computer for the weekend so I will be unable to finish my piece. This is what I have so far, I am enjoying it so I will continue to work on it but will not make it up in time for voting .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketchin' out some rough concepts, , think i'm leaning towards #1, any thoughts?

Fatum Istum Stultorum ~Durandal
    sketchbook
    Blog
    Available for hire!

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dranyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some coloring in, but now see a stiffness in pose and bland design but may have to call this 'done'. looking forward to see the finish of tbaldree, Kahel, Quinn Simoes, Rinibee, Jamesbiff & Dreoilin.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to dVargas For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's really hard to keep up with you guys, you keep posting while I'm away from the computer, but here's what I've managed to write up as of Paolo13's last post, sorry to the rest of you, but I'm gonnq try to focus more on doing my own work for a little while so I can actually try to finish on time....

@Jamesbiff: looks quite dynamic, her legs seems a bit too long and narrow, and her arms seem to be lacking any sort muscle and bone structure, look up some references for anatomy.

@Helltroll: good start, composition wise it's looking decent cept for the pink sky next to her face, you want to have area contrast because you want the viewer to look there, maybe add a little blue around her face so the contrast is higher, and adds to the focal point

@Gezzander: Looks very cool, I'd fix the right leg seeing as it is awkwardly bending inward, and show us her face, seeing as that's a very important part of character design.

@DecayingLotita: It's turning out well, try to add some warmth around the face to contrast with all that blue and black.

@Narko: Nice dynamic scene with a decent perspective, the poses could use a little work so they don't look so stiff.

@GEB: Thanks for the comment, Yours is progressing nicely, the detail on her armour and skirt looks really neat. Add some darker values to the background so her silhouette will pop a little bit, because she has a nice porcelain white that is getting eaten by the white background

@Hellfire: A bald cheshire cat, interesting (unless your adding fur later), and the eyes on the rabbit are quite freaky (in a good way though) Your skin rendering is quite nice it gives it a very decent realistic look.

@v-lkry: poor stickman, a good start so far, we'll see where you take this

@Csumlin: Looks interesting, I like the way the Cheshire cat looks, I'm not sure what you have in mind but the axe should be more of a silvery grey, but once again it depends what you have in mind.

@Mistermike: A slightly larger filesize would be nice so the details are a bit more clear, her leg doesn't look like it's bent properly underneath her.

@PS Zant: Alice on a rampage, her mouth seems to be a bit cartoony, almost like a dummy the way it is opened.

@Quinn Simoes: I've said this many times but I like this better than your first piece. I'm liking the design of the rabbit. Eager to see this finished, cuz you've got some awsome artwork.

@electric_sandal: Pose looks better and the leg are looking a little more anatomically correct, although they still could use a little tweaking, start adding some more saturated colours as well, make Alice stand out from the background

@SuadK: Very nice, although her leg is bending backwards a bit too much. And the fading at the front of her shorts distrupts the form a bit, I actually prefer her without the shades, but that's just my preference.

@gloombunny: It's getting there, add some more of that orange all around so Alice will really stand out, and perhaps some blood spatter textures, either on ALice or the background, or both so long as it's not overdone.

@Kahel: Thnx, Alice kind of reminds me of Julia Roberts Tinkerbell for some reason, we'll see where you take this.

@jenny7332: I can tell she's looking up but it seems like it's not showing as well as it should, try comressing that forehead a tad and show some of her neck so we get a better sense of this. A lot of this is still pretty rough so we'll se when this is pushed a little further.

@Jager: Looks really cool, Alice escaping from an insane asylum. Waiting for the final version.

@JoshBuzzee: I like her hair better here, there's more flow and it best represents Alice this way. And I'm loving that staff she's got.

@Dvargus: Really nice sketches, I love seeing the rough stuff, it gives you an insight into the artist's thought process. And bottom sketch is turning out great.

@Paolo13: Looks awsome, mate. She's got that confident stance of a leader that's been through many battles, probably the best entry this round. And her armour is looking wicked.

Well the linework is more or less completed, spent way to much time on that so got to move on otherwise I won't have time for colours. Here's some rendering on Alice looks alright so far...
    Name:  warrior alice copy2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  226.3 KB

Last edited by Rob Powell; June 24th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some awesome stuff happening on this thread as usual per the CHOW challenges!

so i just spent about 1.5 hours doodling, nothing overly amazing and not sure if ill complete it by deadline but. . . WE SHALL SEE!!!

p.s. lol silly game female armor designs always gotta show some skin and cleavage to attract their audience!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bluh bluh update.

I'll try to leave some crits in the morning when I feel less like I'm going to fall asleep in my chair.

Name:  AliceNew3.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  95.5 KB

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revidescent: The rendered parts looks really nice and colours plus composition works well. Her face i would think would look less relaxed when battleing evil veins trying to kill her. The sword looks nice too now.

DoctorDigits: The arms looks like it have differend lengs, i think its the one holding the cat that is a bit to short. Also the knees might be a bit to long down the leg. The armor us SO RPG girl armor

Rob Powell: That bow is nice and goes really well with the arrows. She seems a bit superheroin'ish, i think its the skintight streamlined cloth, im not sure i dig it. The cat and its huge grim i do enjoy. I hope it will become more clear that it's its tale around her arm in the finished image. The rabbits pose seems strage, might be better when rendered.

dVargas: Damn alice became EVUL! The cloth i love and the roughness to the over all drawing is nice too. She might be a bit to masculin in the face and pose for my taste though.

Dranyer: Im sure which ever rought you choose to work on it will look nice. The card gun is fun but im not sure if she fits in the wonderland in my head, then 1 or 3 might work better. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Ofidian: I think she looks a bit to young for the warrior alice. The peice might be more catching for the eye if you make the shadows a bit darker to have more contrast.

DecayingLolita: Really nice rendered head and cute hat. Its a bit hard to "read" how things are in some place. like the arm where it goes over the breast, might just be the angle, also the leg closest to the viewer doesnt look like its attached to the body. Remember to get a solid sketch before starting to render.

Mistermike: nice concept, always enjoy the strips. You have to watch the limbs. They all got differend sizes and the leg to the right looks like its going toward us under the dress and streight down under the dress, giving it an angle that just doesnt fit.

Rachel Pierce:LOVE the colour scheme, the dress and armor fit together well. It seems like its from the same era. Might be my favorit. A few things though: the forhead seems a bit large compared to the angle. Would be nice if she had a more firm grip on the tree and the mushroom to the top left pulls away my eyes when looking at alice. You might want to tone down the colour on it so it fits the right side.

Csumlin: Nice cat. I think Kahboom already said what i wanted to say

eralfralos: Interesting shoulder armor. Still need lots of work. I hope you can finish it in time. Oh and did the cat steal the mad hatters hat?

Kahboom: Thanks for the crit, its a walrus. Thanks for asking. Because of that i worked a bit more on it to make it more clear, so hope everyone can see what it is on the final. Did you notist the hind leg and tail of the cat too ? Anyway. some crit for you: The flamingo looks nice, get the legs finished up It could be nice if some of the flamingoes colour would relect a bit up on alices dress and skin. Might give it a better impression of her sitting on the flamingo, as it looks a bit pasted on. Also because you rendered the flamingo so well, you might hate to bring the background up close to same standard if there is time. Same thing goes with alice. She needs at lest same shading as the flamingo. I hope it helps a bit.

Rinibee: Sweet rabbit shoulder armorf but i hope she doesnt kill her self with the ears . I think it looks nice over all. Cant wait for colours, though there is a problem with the leg firthest away. It looks alot shorter then the other.

JanJager:Alice looks really luscious, she looks really well with some curves. Nothing bad to say at all. Its awsome.

Sorry to the ones i didnt get to. So many designs. Keep up the work all.

My Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=239346

-In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.-

46. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nocebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I got two calls for her face, but I'm not sure it works without something for her to look at - or do I completely redo the scene? Not sure and something to think about for future CoWs. As to the awkward in-turn of her right leg, I wanted her pigeon toed to offset the Rambo-like intensity of the scene. In the meantime....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1