Sketchbook: Sketch Things (Dec 9, 2013) - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketch Things (Dec 9, 2013)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, you were the first one to give me some constructive advice, so thank you for thatAnd i'll give you some advice aswell if you don't mind.When you start off your drawing, your first block-in(linework) is very good, but once you start shading, you seem to get carried away.Blocking in the shades, before actually shading helps a lot!This way you avoid drawing your shadings too equal and you have things under control.Second thing i noticed, was the angle of your lines of your shadings - it's imporant to control and draw them across the form (e.g limb, torso), not along.That way your figures look more soft and lively.When drawing stiff material, you make them along the form.You might already know everything i told you right now, but it doesn't hurt to repeat it and here's a link i found moment ago, which somewhat illustrates what i just wrote link.I hope it made some sense.
    Keep drawing, you're doing great.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to obier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busy, Busy, Busy! Nice update, looking forward to seeing that WiP completed (the cast) Have you thought about using toned paper? I think that might make for some interesting results, really makes the highlights stand out, particularly when using chalk.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Invalid User For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress, sage! Thanks for replying in my SB looong ago and sorry for not repaying you sooner. You're doing great so far. When it comes to life drawing and the model moving after the pause so the angles change, you have to not entirely rely on the model. If you start up laying down the base, the basic geometry BEFORE you shade etc, you have something to build on. Even if the model changes angle slightly you still have the base so you can continue without making it look awkward.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I watched the video and then looked at your sketches. I have to ask - are you enjoying art? Life doesn't fit into boxes, and whilst we need rules to draw, it can become the be all if we're not careful. I doodle boxes, spheres etc most days as I find them relaxing. Your method is too structured and rigid, leaving little room to move. Please relax more like your SB pages and bring those to the front as they are fun and more informative.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet. Attachments saved.

Ok... let's start out with the mall stuff this time (because I made a good breakthru).

I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to get the information down quicker... how to get a person quickly. I didn't really get it. But I sat down on Friday, and prepared to be patient. (I also found a great pen that doesn't gob ink... I can feather all I want...) Here's the result:

Name:  mall_sketches_01.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  133.0 KB

I'm quite pleased. And here's what I started doing, for some reason. I started to swing the pencil side to side, one side of a person's shape to the other... left to right, top to bottom. What this made me do was look at the whole shape at the same time. My eye started getting used to it quickly.

Here's a rough idea of the process (I made this tut so I wouldn't forget it )
    Name:  QUICK.gif
Views: 678
Size:  136.7 KB

What I forgot to put in there was that you keep your eye on the line you just drew when your hand is moving over to the other side. This is your measuring step. Your eye is judging the shape while your hand moves. Pretty slick, eh? Nice tool for the toolbox.

I wanted to do a caricature of a friend (because he's actually an artist and started out doing caricatures)... so I practiced and didn't like the result....
    Name:  caricature_practice.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  120.3 KB

But then used some of Ron Lemen's instructions (& genius) as well as my own thoughts to create this from a photo
    Name:  matt_caricature.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  111.3 KB

I liked it (it's a little skewed, but I liked it). I don't work from photos as a rule; but was able to make quite a lot of the drawing volumetric... especially the exaggerated muzzle.

Life drawings went well this week; only went to two sessions (because I went and painted on the third night--more on that later)

Wednesday we had a model we had previously drawn undraped wearing a dress. I used vine charcoal and tried to sculpt her out. Got the proportions bang-on... still need to get more confident with faces when doing the whole figure.

Name:  nandi_process.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  103.7 KB
    Name:  nandi.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  106.4 KB

Saturday, I did really well (I thought). 'Twas the first time I've got the whole model blocked in well ahead of her first break (I was rendering for 10 minutes!). The measurements went better, in part, because of my Friday experience in the mall with "quick draw". I got a gesture really quickly using quick-draw--a gesture that was pretty close to accurate proportion wise.

This gave me time to double-check measurements and adjust quickly.

Again started with vine and finished with charcoal pencil... though the pencil was a bit harder than an HB should be (it was acting like a 2H)... it was really tough to get value out of it.

Overall, very happy with the result (though I didn't get the face, and the elbow was doing some kind of reversal thing on me...)

Name:  jennifer_process.png
Views: 670
Size:  1.41 MB
    Name:  jennifer.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  86.5 KB

Here's the oil I talked about... very first oil painting ever. Used canvas paper and the primary colors.
    Name:  oil_try.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  121.9 KB

Now a quick ball/value study in digital. Didn't finish it (the left side of the ball on the table isn't done properly... no reflected light)
    Name:  ball.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  22.5 KB

The Asaro head made good progress little by little. I had to stop and do surgery a few times. Notice in the last process shot that the lower right of the base has been cleaned up significantly... probably will finish this in the next day or two.
    Name:  asaro_process.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  176.6 KB

NOW... for the final fun bit.

Many people ask me about the sphere gestures and question why someone would do such a thing... and if I have a soul and whatnot... LOL.

Here's what I've been building toward... and it's just another step in the way.

For a while now I've been wanting to get to a more complicated structural gesture than just a Perrier bottle. I wanted a skull.

So I set out with Bammes skulls in hand to discover my own abstraction that could easily be done as a gesture, like how my Perrier bottles and spheres are done.

I started trying out measuring a 3/4 profile skull from Bammes... but it became pretty tedious. Frustrated a bit, I just stared freehanding some skull gestures.
    Name:  skull_gesture_thoughts.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  160.1 KB

The first one was the best one... the middle bottom row. I really liked that one.
    Name:  good_skull_gesture.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  194.0 KB

Liked it enough to trace it and try and extract the goodies from it... turn it into a template for structural gesture
    Name:  skull_gesture_template.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  79.8 KB

The proportions were a bit kid-like, so I refined it a bit....
    Name:  refined_skull_template.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  120.9 KB

... and I will keep refining it as I go... getting more anatomically correct, yet keeping the template simple.

So off I go... for the week. One, sometimes two of these sheets a day. They will be regular practice

Name:  skull_gestures_01.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  skull_gestures_02.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  81.4 KB
    Name:  skull_gestures_03.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  skull_gestures_04.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  119.5 KB
    Name:  skull_gestures_05.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  133.4 KB
    Name:  skull_gestures_06.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  120.3 KB
    Name:  skull_gestures_07.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  124.4 KB

Notice that I'm still searching in them. While doing those gestures, I'm going a bit slower than normal and thinking about the anatomy and proportions I know... and sometimes coming up with good refinements (like the Zygomatic arch). Each gesture takes about 20 to 30 seconds right now, but should get faster as I get a more refined template and get used to drawing the skulls.

Eventually, I'll turn the head, move the pitch, draw it from the other direction (facing right)... etc. I'll get abstractions from the front and profile as well. And I will do these gestures daily (at least one sheet).

So, does that explain kind of why we do structural gesture?

You don't need to stop with the head or skull; it goes right on to the entire figure... as the figure is posing... as the figure is moving. This is how I'm training my mind to think. It's not putting anything in a box (life, or otherwise...) it's acquiring the right tools to do the kind of work I want to do.

Anyway... yes... I'm having a helluva great time doing art, and living life See my thread in the Lounge

------

Blacky Thanks for the crit! I'll have a surprise for you next time
    Marian Rowling Cheers on the comments for the video. The next one is coming... don't know when I'll find the time to edit it together. And definitely let's compare notes on color! I just jumped in over my head this week
    lohes Thank you!
    Liberty Thanks man. These exercises are only good at teaching spheres no more than pushups only make you good at doing pushups

Again, the spheres build up to something.. they're one of the four basic shapes of life... sphere, box, cone, cylinder. If you master those, you can master the skull... the body... anything.
    Jephyr X Thank you for the support, man! If I can make you laugh, maybe one day we'll buy each other's book
    m0uS3r Thank you for coming by, mouser... your work is excellent. You must be talking about the mall pic of the girl. Yes... symmetry. Always must watch that. Thank you for the critique!
    MatthewHD It's a really nice tool... I bought it to stay in contact with the academic side of art. Thanks dude.
    obier Thank you obier, your work is really sweet. The critique is spot on... actually was just a bunch of things I picked up from Ron Lemen this week. Thanks, and I'll make a return visit to your great book.
    Invalid User Interesting you say that; I've been working on toned paper the last two weeks (Jennifer/Jason/etc), and the Jennifer drawing from this update uses chalk
    LORD M Thank you for the visit and thoughtful critique! I agree; I need to show more structure (it's how I was trained, actually). With this new quick-draw technique I picked up at the mall, I can quickly lay down the basic proportions, and then refine the measurements for sure. On the Jennifer pic, I just got excited and started into the drawing before really doing a heavy construction (though it would have worked great). Thank you again.
    Black Spot Honestly yes I'm having a helluva lot of fun. Art is a blast. I'm obsessed with drawing right now. The sphere gestures are just a warm up, as are the bottles... but I pick up all kinds of information from them.

How to hold the pencil in the underhand grip
    How to vary the line
    How to hit the points I'm looking at
    How to make perfect ellipses
    How to see the third dimension (hallucinating!)

And really a lot more.

I see the axes in the sphere gesture like that pic on that REM album cover:

That helps me feel the three dimensions.

And honestly, I love making beautiful bottles. It's the pursuit of mastery that's exciting, not just the end result.

I can do much more now that I do these exercises than before. It's just the warmup; it's not the end result.

Of course, the fun sketches are great too

-----------------------------

Thanks again everyone! I'll hit your books early this week! Bedtime now!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All good but the nude and the planes study are quite nice!

Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    Many people ask me about the sphere gestures and question why someone would do such a thing... and if I have a soul and whatnot...
    As long as your hand is moving, you're creating is all that matters IMHO! I used to play guitar and developed some skill at it (played in bands in clubs etc) but when I first started there were always people saying I was holding the guitar wrong or should hold the pick differently, or work on this style or these scales instead of this or that. It was confusing.

Still later, after years of bashing away at it I finally found I had some chops. So I see creating art in the same way. What works for you...may not work for me and vice versa...but if we keep at it...we will improve!

LOL.Anyway... yes... I'm having a helluva great time doing art, and living life See my thread in the Lounge
    And THAT is what it is all about!!

Jephyr X Thank you for the support, man! If I can make you laugh, maybe one day we'll buy each other's book
    You betcha! That'd be cool!

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr X For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "It's the pursuit of mastery that's exciting, not just the end result" pretty obvious thing, and we shouldn't ever forget it

Awesome overall progress with everything!
    The finished Jennifer and the Asaro head are my favourite parts of the post. Be sure to finish him properly.
    And btw, what paper did you use? Looks very think, almost watercolour like.

Looking forward to that surprise!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful studies! i really like jeniffer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey P sage - great pencils and anatomy. However i do see what black spot is saying. you are very methodical (which is great) - but its nice to have an organic feel - like in the jennifer study. Thanks for the kind words in my sb too. and the simpson ref as well lol.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sir is one helovanupdate (my new word for a large post). Jennifer looks fantastic, the study is coming along well, I'm looking forward to seeing that one completed as you may have already gathered, looks like you're on the right track.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Invalid User For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boy, some real solid progress here, loosening up too! The values and subtleties in the Asaro head are very refined, and there's great energy in the marks in the skull studies below it, particularly in the one you chose. Wonderful work ethic from you, all of those studies...whew Had a chance to read some other comments, and you're certainly beginning to add an organic feel to your work. Line's are becoming more expressive. Keep varying the weight, the viewer's eye will move to the darkest marks(but I think you already know that)...
    Keep it going!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike L For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jennifer looks great - nice form there. We all learn differently and from different sources. Finding that one way that clicks with you can be tough, but when you do, boy is it fun. This is why I like coming here as you have a different way of doing things.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice form and life studies in here - I know its early days for this sketchbook but its looking great so far. Keep it up!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jennifer is looking good as well as the asaro study mr sage keep up the hard work and make sure you keep on enjoying the journey

28. The Following User Says Thank You to prsnsweeney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I admire how determined you are with your studies - especially those skulls!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Clean3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, thanks so much for support, after I do thousand spheres I will get back to you with new food to think; Asaro heads are wonderful.
    Take care and create.

Sketchbook
    --------------------------------------------------
    Creusa- n1frit - DanLiimatta - Fallen - Suz- Hu-ha

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The skull structural gestures are brilliant!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to lohes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u get an new sketchbook, nice work Psage that interesting

36. The Following User Says Thank You to towy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm kind of fan of the vipplu method in starting with gestures. Basic forms and pillow. I notice your style is a lot different than when you did your posemanics gestures from long ago.

The plaster study is looking good.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a really good week this week. On top of all the fun drawing and stuff, I landed a 6-month contract that should keep the p sage in enough charcoal pencils for the next 100 years

Oh... and a there's a new addition to the family
    Name:  cin_01.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  48.0 KB
    Name:  cin_02.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  87.8 KB

So I had this wild hair to start doing colored mechanical pencil in my moleskine and then ink it instead of doing the messy graphite for a while. Didn't work out as well as I'd hoped; but I was smart and scanned the page before making a mess with the dip pen.

Using the new "family" member, I've worked off and on on the moleskine sketch in Sai... and kind of liked it...
    Name:  h-and-b.png
Views: 562
Size:  320.9 KB

After looking at it again... there are some value issues (lower parts of the face have too much light.. especially laugh line furrow)... but I liked it. Thought it might be a t-shirt design at some point.

The original is here
    Name:  h-and-b-orig.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  100.9 KB

The dip pen is challenging, but I enjoy the challenge. A page of studies, where I learned something I call the "guard-rail technique"
    Name:  dip_pen.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  177.5 KB
    GUARD RAIL TECHNIQUE: Once you've laid down a line, while drawing your next line, keep the first line in your peripheral vision. It will keep your drawing proportional (and in the case of dip pen straight lines)...it will keep your lines straight.

I use that technique when doing the quick draw at the mall. It works great for quickly nailing proportions.

Still doing dozens of pages of these
    Name:  spheres.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  91.2 KB

some Perrier bottles and a few of these a week
    Name:  skulls_01.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  150.5 KB
    Name:  skulls_02.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  148.6 KB

Really trying to refine the skulls and make the gesture template better anatomically, and I think it's working.

On to the Asaro study. I did it to keep connected to my academic roots I got at art school. I cut a mounting for it, but it's being a pain in the ass--so just this photograph of it. The values aren't as subtle as in the original because I didn't scan it...
    Name:  asaro.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  101.7 KB

Figure drawings: Still doing a Wednesday session... three short poses and a long pose (he re-did the 2nd pose for the long pose). Vine charcoal/sculpt method
    Name:  frederick_g1.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  78.5 KB
    Name:  frederick_g2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  frederick_g3.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  84.9 KB
    Name:  frederick_process.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  144.5 KB
    Name:  frederick.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  89.6 KB

Decided to get away from the imprecise vine charcoal method and be a bit neater for Saturday. Back to doing structure like in art school

Name:  jessica_process.jpg
Size:  526.8 KB
    Name:  jessica.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  128.8 KB

I liked the way it started quite a bit. Shows I can still do the horizontals & verticals method, and I started to see the volumes. It's really the best way to see volumes on a model IMO.

The rendering got tough because unfortunately I pressed too hard with the charcoal pencil and couldn't bring out any highlights on her right leg... so there it is... looking too dark.

But overall good progress.

I'm working on something for Cristina (not done yet... sorry hun)... and here's some of the problem solving I was trying to do. Struggled a bit
    Name:  scraps.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  85.3 KB
    ... but got my head around it better. The "new family addition" will help with this

Finally, I broke down and tried AustenFM's abstract-shape-to-3D-shape exercise. Pretty fun. Also in my moleskine

The empty shapes
    Name:  shapes_pre.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  77.0 KB

Then
    Name:  shapes.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  308.0 KB

I drew it in mechanical blue pencil, which is really hard to scan... so I upped the levels... grayscale may be easier to see
    Name:  shapes_bw.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  168.9 KB

I started to ink the shapes. Prolly have to start over

Name:  ink_attempt.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  116.8 KB

------------------

Jephyr X I'm going to hold you to the book thing, Jephyr Great point about practicing and getting chops. If it works and you know it works, don't let people tell you to change Thanks man.

Blacky Thanks babe! Asaro man is finished, except for the matting.

The paper is Ingres or Charcoal paper... it has a ribbed texture (you should be able to find it in most art stores).

Sorry... the surprise is a week away

Kerah Thanks my main man. You, me, and Jephyr X should do a sketchgroup together. What ya say Jephyr?

dog-faced Thank you... organic is important; after all, we're drawing living things, right? There's a balance, though, right? Organic gives you movement and 3D shapes give you depth and realism.

Invalid User Dude you need a helluvanupdate You're doing very well and your stuff is getting more refined.

Mike L Great comments man, thank you. I love your SB.

Black Spot Glad to hear it. Cheers. Looks like you're having fun with the Bougereau study.

ThomasM YOU sir are awesome and thank you thank you thank you for coming in here. My goal is to follow your path and do what you've done in my own way. You're a serious inspiration. *bows* *bows* *21 knife-throw salute*

prsnsweeney Thank you! Definitely!

Clean3d Thanks for the comments on my skulls; they're going to get more anatomically correct as well as faster... I'll hone in on them. Try them yourself

Liberty Haha ONLY a thousand?! Thank you.

lohes Cheers! Keep working hard in your book.

towy Yes towy new book. Thank you for visiting.

Remember the days when you would post those hilarious gifs? The one with the cat getting spooked by the ghost nearly made me crap myself it was so funny.

Pigeonkill Pidg... yeap... a lot different. I found that I was missing huge chunks of information with Vilppu.

I think he knows the information; but he doesn't realize that people he's teaching don't have it. For instance, basic construction and how to relate one side of a form to the other. IMO I would do better in his classes now that I have a foundation.

He's known for teaching mostly animators from Cal Arts IINM... and those guys have some chops before seeing him--they're definitely not noobs.

Gesture certainly is a part of what I do right now; but I'm craving, thirsting and hungering after the illusion of 3D and 3D shapes. Once I can do those without thinking...

Thanks again everyone...

Last edited by p sage; August 29th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops... three more.

Mall sketches
    Name:  mall_01.jpg
Size:  94.5 KB
    Name:  mall_02.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  95.8 KB

Learned I need to switch sides of the shapes quicker. Sketches are of moving people; none of them are sitting still.

And p sage and Bridgman patched our differences. He's still a drunk, tho
    Name:  bridgmang.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  128.4 KB

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

42. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OoOoooh, how are you liking the Cintiq?

Your studies are looking good. Keep up the good work.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage, I really like the sketchbook idea

Btw, I'm not sure I understand why you did this study -
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1314592815
    Considering your other tedious studies, this one is complete mystery to me.
    Oh I really like the random shapes turned sketches practice, really sweet stuff

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn man, you are a hard hard hard worker!

So many studies and it looks like you have a pretty good idea of what to do to improve!
    Both the anatomy, form studies and straight-forward hand control exercises are all stuff that might not look "badass" but is going to help you a lot on the long run, i'm sure.

Results are already showing, your progression is steady, its just a matter of keeping at it! kudos!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the structured approach to your figure drawing cant wait to see some of the digital work with that tablet

50. The Following User Says Thank You to prsnsweeney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man you're getting such a good grasp of form really nice to see this kind of stuff

52. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man,I come in here often but I don't think I've dropped a comment in your "new" sketchbook yet, i'm ashamed!

Things look to be shaping up fast for you, just looking back these 4 pages you can already see great improvement in your construction and definition of form. Your life drawings are especially nice, the proportion and perspective looks ace.

I'm most happy to see you having fun doodling outside of your studies, i didn't see much of it in your past SB, but all the stuff here shows you applying what you're picking while being free and messing around. Your confidence is building! Also, nice job on the mall sketches, i dont do that often enough. Trains you to be quick and precise, i like it!

Thanks for giving the random shapes a go, you got some really interesting things out of it, and the letter overlay at the end was hilarious! Double thanks for putting the stickers on your book cover! I'm flattered you have them displayed so prominently. Are they holding up well?

Anyway, great work, thanks for all the support on my end. I'll do my part to be more active in your parts as well. Keep it up amigo!

54. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crazy update! Full of gold. first of all, that finished study looks amazing (planes of the head) secondly, the life drawings are coming along really well, Jessica is my favourite and thirdly, congratulations on earning your stars, you deserve them, keep working hard. Now that you've got your Cintiq I'm sure we're going to be seeing a lot more digital work coming from you, all the best.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Invalid User For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the studies are really taking off in here. I especially love the Asaro head image. I have no critiques since you're doing so well by yourself! Just keep at it.

Sketchbooks

58. The Following User Says Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Your really buring this place up! Those last posts of yours are amazing!

In no particular order...I'm loving that Asaro study...it is really nicely rendered! That t-shirt design is pretty funny. Lovin' the life drawing and Bridgeman studies...I'm sure "Jessica" was challenging with all that foreshortening...but you did well and gave her realistic volume! I absolutely need to try both those abstract shape thingys and mall sketches...I'm diggin yours.

Congrats on your contract too...what kind of work do you do?

Also...that new member of your family. You'll have to tell me if you like it. My little 6 x 8 Intuos has served me well...but occasionally my eye wanders.

Last edited by Jephyr X; September 1st, 2011 at 05:48 PM.

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

60. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr X For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 186