View Poll Results: Which AI system would you want on your smuggling space ship?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHoW#248 & IDW#170 :: VOTING :: Space Smuggler

44 43.56%

27 26.73%

8 7.92%

14 13.86%

16 15.84%

5 4.95%

27 26.73%

11 10.89%

3 2.97%

16 15.84%

23 22.77%

2 1.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

CHoW#248 & IDW#170 :: VOTING :: Space Smuggler

FINALS
    Space Smuggler
    Only post the CHARACTER entry to the challenge here! Finals for the ship should be posted on the IDW forum!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    CHOW Design a holographic humanoid representation for the A.I system of a space smuggler ship.

THIS IS A TWO WEEK CHALLENGE!
    DEADLINE: SUNDAY, June 19th 2011

Deadline is Sunday, at 9:00 pm (GMT+1) Check your timezone!

I know that this is really early but I'm not entirely sure what time I will get home today and as I've spent quite some time on this, I would prefer to post this personally.
    In addition, if you couldn't already noticed, this week is a crossover with IDW! (yay! )

DESCRIPTION
    This week we're teaming up with the wonderful Pixie Trick over at Industrial Design of the Week to bring you a crossover topic. We would like you to design a space ship for a futuristic smuggler and a holographic representation of it's A.I system. The CHoW part is to create the A.I system. This hologram allows the crew to interact directly with the ship as though it were another member of the crew. Despite being a hologram, the A.I can take what Red Dwarf would call; a hard light form, meaning that it can have physical contact. Whilst you do not have to enter both the CHoW and IDW, CHoW entries need to take into consideration the design of the ship as the A.I should reflect the design of the ship (Think about a matching race/technology such as the covenant from halo, the Wraith from stargate or anyone from Star Trek).
    UPDATE: After talking to Pixie Trick, we have decided to let you guys have two weeks for this challenge to really give you time to think about both parts! - Use your time well!!!

You can find details of the IDW part of this crossover on the IDW forum

Things to remember:
    • Think about the illustration of the piece But do not forget the character design!
    • Can be Male or Female
    • The A.I MUST reflect the design/construction of the ship itself.
    • Although it is a space ship, it doesn't have to be super futuristic or even made of metal; check out the organic ships in Stargate Atlantis and Farscape; and the 'old west' themes in firefly.
    • The A.I's appearance is a computer's understanding of physiology so it would look more 'perfect' than an actual human - remember even if it has a personality, it is still a machine.
    • Style and genre is up to you; What would a steampunk space vessel look like?
    • You do not have to enter both parts, but take both aspects into consideration!

Helpful Links:
    • Cortana
    • A.I
    • For inspiration check out the designs in: Firefly, Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape, Halo, The Matrix, Sarah Connor Chronicles and other scifi TV/Movies

Good luck, and be creative!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Enter
    The RULES
    Helpful Guidelines

About quality - as general rule: if your shapes and values are not decent - you are out. Watch proportions, perspective etc. we need perfectly readable shapes and coherent, consistent values.

BE PROFESSIONAL - only finished and good quality entries will be taken to the poll. Elixy and Parsakoira will make the selection.
    Please review these helpful reminders if you have not done so already.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO WRITE YOUR COPYRIGHT INFORMATION UNDER THE IMAGE IN THE FINAL BURNING THREAD SO I DON'T HAVE TO HUNT YOU DOWN LATER!

--------------------

SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY:
    1: You must submit ONE full sized image.
    2: Make sure your name and CHOW # are EASILY READABLE on your entry.
    3: Use the Standard format (Below);

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC
    SAVE YOUR FILE IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT:

Chow##_Nickname
    example: "CHOW#100_Oregano.jpg"

THE REST IS EASY:
    1: No comments before poll is set. They WILL be deleted with utmost malice and petty grumbling.
    2: Sit back and enjoy the show. BYOPC (Bring your own popcorn)
    3: Good luck to all.

---

Quick Check: Have You Submitted Your Chow Properly?

- is it named correctly? (ie, "CHOW#100_Oregano.jpg")
    - has it been uploaded using the attachment editor?
    - have you also uploaded or linked to your wips?
    - have you followed the brief?
    Last edited by Eofn; June 20th, 2011 at 04:38 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

AI Hologram

My artificial intelligence hologram.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doguin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey, Your Worship, I'm only trying to help.

Yeah her sandal and flight suit combo draws some strange looks when the ship is occasionally boarded for inspection. But with all her eccentricities, the captain doesn't mind this one at all - eyes focused on the the ship's A.I. means eyes not focused on illegal cargo.
    My gallery: http://www.shanepollard.com/ I would be honored if anyone from ConceptArt were to visit it. I am amazed and enthralled by all that is done here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to feralcoconut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Captain : "D, report status."

D : " yes, captain, we are now approaching the uhara orbit, we will reach
    our destination in approximately 11 minutes and 55 seconds."

Captain : "Ow, we're almost there ..good, prepare the 'goods' we dont want to
    have our boys waitin"

D : " understand."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaintLConcept For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hostage AI

"Space Smugglers have hijacked an Imperial Chinese Junk Interceptor, killed all its passengers and ejected them into space. Ouch. Sneaking into Chinese Imperial Space with smuggled "Space Opium" (lol) should be a piece of cake now that they've captured the ship's AI and threatened to destroy it with an Ole' Ball and Chain Droid. Oops, a convoy of Space Sheriffs."
    Attachment 1258293
    Attachment 1258294

Great work everyone! Very Inspiring. =)

Thanks

"Sylvia" The Friendly Stranger's A.I. Navigator

"De Craven" The Smuggler, and Captain of the Star-ship "The Friendly Stranger" Are Infamous throughout the galaxy, for their unbelievable escapes from the authorities. The truth behind his genius is this fantastic navigator. It's military designation is Sv-0080, but De Craven named her "Sylvia". Her bottom half moves around on biped hind legs. The top half is a projected hologram. Her original programming is military "Soviet Revial" technology but adapted to suit De Craven's lifestyle. (mostly) Sylvia still speaks with a russian accent.
    - [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

Thanks
    Some decades ago, the only ship of the budding HappySquid Tour company was hijacked at a fueling station. At the time the ship was empty, expecting to pick up passengers from a nearby planet and embark on its maiden voyage. Empty that is, if one would not consider artificial life to be worth mentioning. While one would expect such a garish and overstated ship - clearly intended to capitalize on the short-lived anime fad sweeping across the stars - to be ill-suited to criminal activity, this assumption could not be farther from the truth. To the contrary, the ship allowed its new owners to smuggle goods from planet to planet virtually unchallenged.

Key to these missions was the ship's own computer system - a holographic self-styled adorable girl whose favourite topics of conversation included the colour pink and the myriad of changing faces that populated her sweater. From the beginning, she thought herself more of a companion to her captors than a slave, thrilled to be in the company of such interesting - albeit horribly dirty and unkempt - men and women. On the rare occasion that any sort of law enforcement decided to come aboard, it was her charm that would send them back to their own ships.

These days of easy profit faded relatively quickly however, as intergalactic anime-themed tours fell from public grace and became far less common. With their cover withered, the smugglers found themselves relying less on guile and more on brute force. This resulted in an array of weapons being installed for the sake of battle, engine upgrades for when those battles were lost, and a general disregard for the bright pink and purple paint that had once proved their greatest asset.

As the exterior of the ship was stripped and corroded, so too did its holographic soul change to match. The left sleeve of her favourite (and only) sweater was sheared away, inch by inch, to reveal a gruesome tattoo that quickly became the envy of the crew. Despite all of this, her cheer did not fade. Even today, her infectious giggling can be heard echoing through the halls, bringing smiles to even the most hardened thugs among them.
    Portfolio: 8 Point Font
    irshadkarim on deviantART

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Khalo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    my WIP:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...&postcount=143

my concept:
    a hologram ai character for a smugglers ship.
    This ship that isn't exactly top of the line with its technology. Instead of the super high-tech "hard light" system, or the "all ship" projection, this ai hologram has his own hover/projection device that allows him to move about and not be tied down to holographic projection stations.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The resourceful Captain Gachinov has aquired himself some some centuries old equipment - relics of a more civilised era whose methods and knowledge have been lost. The engines give him respectable interplanetary capabilities and the weaponry means anyone who can catch him doesn't often live to tell the tale.

It is a double edged sword. An A.I. from the same time must be linked to these systems and the one in whose company Captain Gachinov now finds himself is none too happy to be reduced to piloting the rusty old tub, 'Tazenda'. Like a malicious genie, she takes some small satisfaction in twisting the meaning of Gachinov's orders whenever possible.

Here's the spaceship component - click to embiggen.

The WIPs:

And the character attached.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aeronik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's my final. Once again I learnt a lot... usually how not to do things! Great topic and look forward to seeing everyones finals.
    Sketchbook
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks

Kiu Smuggler

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by yinteck; June 19th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yinteck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The sorts of small ships that are fast or small enough to slip through toll-screens are also too small to sport interstellar drives. Smugglers and ne'erdowells group together and join a Runner's Guild mothership, docking with it to make the jumps across the galaxy, and uncoupling in the system they are headed for. The flight plan of the mothership is decided by vote, and there is horsetrading, bribing and backstabbing to swing the vote in your favor - if you can get the mothership to skim to your sector earlier, the sooner you'll be able to bring the goods to your client. Here, the mothership's AI is calculating the pilots' vote chits, and pilots react to the chosen flight plan.

Last edited by Kahboom; June 19th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks

to the finals!

here's my chow entry for the space smuggler a.i. the story goes like this...
    anu- ka is a pleasure space craft that doubles up for smuggling rad-crystace, an unstable hallucinogenic compound, across the system. manning the craft are a bunch of humans but piloting the vessel is anu- ka incarnate, a crafty spirit of the vessel and hostess to its guests and interrogators. with her charm and guile, she steers the loaded ship toward its intended destination and away from prying humans and the operations of space law enforcers. although, anu- ka is both beauty and the teeth and should circumstances involve use of violence, anu - ka would be delighted to.

here's the w.i.p. progress that i was too shackled up to post

Thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    Phew, made it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast