Toned Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Toned Sketchbook

Anyone know any good heavy weight, toned paper sketchbook? I wanted to start using a sketchbook that would be let me work with both dark pens and white gel pens, as well as white pencil.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A friend of mine takes canson (or other gray paper) in whatever gray he wants and has a print shop cut them up, put chipboard on for covers and bind them. Not sure if there are any mid-tone gray sketchbooks out there yet.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the above poster... I don't know of anything grey-tone unless you pick out the paper yourself and have it bound up, IF that is what you're looking for.

If you want a more "natural" brown colored paper there are a few more options. There are a few brands of recycled paper sketchbooks that use a paper similar to kraft speckletone, but it most likely isn't heavyweight unfortunately. (But look around, you might prove me wrong)

There are also moleskines, which are my sketchbook . They are expensive and small but the paper is a nice cream and is great for pens. Moleskine paper isn't true heavy-weight per say but it would hold up the mediums you described. Word of caution, this note is only about the 8.2" x 5.3" x 0.7" sketchbook brand. They have a larger folio version but the folio doesn't use the same paper quality as the sketchbook.

You could also tint the pages of a heavy-weight, white paper sketchbook by using thin watercolor washes or tea-staining (my personal favorite). You can actually get pretty lovely results this way and control the color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Praemium how do you do the tea-washing btw? I've tried to use a thin water colour but unfortunately it doesn't exactly leave the paper in my sketchbooks coming out nice the otherside >.<. Is there any useful advice regarding tea-washing so that the paper comes out nice? Sorry if this a stupid question, just never tried it before .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unfortunately unless your paper is sturdy and thick it is likely to wrinkle after be stained. You may be able to iron it out though just make sure you put a barrier between it and the paper like a thick piece of cloth or you might burn the paper.

My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could get a gray scale sketchbook, I have one and it comes with white, different shades of grey, and black paper. Here is what I'm talking about: http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/...ost%2cUnitCost

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You miiiight be able to get a book of scrapbook paper where the paper is only lightly textured and mid-tone or something. Where the pages might look something like this:
    Toned Sketchbook

I don't know. Just a thought.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Canson oatmeal scrapbook, unfortunately even though it's pretty heavy, alcohol based markers will still seep through to the other side a little, but not nearly as much as the recycled paper books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would reccomend newsprint. But I know a friend of mine made a toned sketchbook out of cardboard and paper bags.
    Also, doesn't Canson make a cream colored sketchbook?

At the intersection of Fate and Free Will
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Praemium Tea staining produces beautiful effects, and I love it. Problem is that tea has tanic acids, which are not at all archival; your drawing will be dust in a few decades.

@Minamongoose Grayscale sketchbook? Interesting, though I wish it was more like an actual sketchbook rather than a pad.

@Manlybrian I would love a sketchbook with that kind of paper!

@Jeffx99 That is a cool idea

@cannibalcarnivale Sketchbook from cardboard and paperbags? Awesome! That'll be my next project.

I despise the normal white paper that comes in most sketchbooks; I have to mar its sterility, normally by toning it with charcoal,

A friend of mine gave me a cream colored sketchbook, though these are too expensive for me to buy normally.

I used to use the cheap Border's (the bookstore) moleskine knockoffs before they went out of business.

My favorite paper of the moment is a blue-gray paper, like this one I used for this drawing:

Toned Sketchbook

The tone of the paper can kind of be seen in the background, if a little obscured by the pastel.

My friend gave me a lot of this paper as a gift; and I'm gonna be lost when my supply of this paper runs out, as I don't know where else to get it, or if it is even sold anymore.

But my ideal is a sketchbook with this toned paper, or maybe velvet gray, which almost acts like a neutral brown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been looking for the same thing and the best I could find was these Kraft paper pads from Borden & Riley. Probably not archival, but its a nice heavy surface for sketches

http://www.dickblick.com/products/bo...ft-paper-pads/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do what a friend of mine did. Out here in LA there is a store in pasadena name kelly's paper and what he did he just bough a bunch of heavy paper or a pack of 500 sheets for like $25 and the paper is really good it even holds markers and paint, so then he punch some holes in it and use the spiral from an old notebook as well as the leather cover and put it all together very nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are gray paper sketchbooks, i saw one on my school artstore, if you cant find a regular toned paper sketchbook you can always get this http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...cfm?item=59946 which has brown paper in it

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally found a real toned sketchbook at Utrecht.

http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...cfm?item=42265

Its got a smooth finish and medium weight in a nice midtone brown color. Not quite as dark as Kraft paper or cardboard, but plenty dark enough for white chalk or pencil. And they come in spiral bound or hardcover in a few sizes and they're archival too.

I have no idea why toned paper sketchbooks should be so rare. You'd think every decent manufacturer would have at least one in their product lines. Now that I've found these, I'll be stocking up on them

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papageo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I often go to a local paper store. (they sell nothing but printing paper. Shitload of them.) I buy a stack of Desert Storm paper whenever I go there. It's good for pencil, ball-point pen, marker, and white gouache.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by papageo View Post
    Finally found a real toned sketchbook at Utrecht.

http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_p...cfm?item=42265

Its got a smooth finish and medium weight in a nice midtone brown color. Not quite as dark as Kraft paper or cardboard, but plenty dark enough for white chalk or pencil. And they come in spiral bound or hardcover in a few sizes and they're archival too.

I have no idea why toned paper sketchbooks should be so rare. You'd think every decent manufacturer would have at least one in their product lines. Now that I've found these, I'll be stocking up on them
    This looks like the best I've seen, thinking about ordering some. I'm a little concerned about the tooth, worried it will be too smooth. Have you tried conte or compressed charcoal on it? Do you have any photos of drawings on it we could see?

Up until now I've been getting by with this cardstock I found at Michaels. 65lb, average tooth. The colors in that picture are a bit off. The left is more grayish, the middle is more yellow and creamy, and the far right is a perfect light brown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Awesome Oatmeal

Not to resurrect an old dead post buuuut I love the utrecht oatmeal sketchbook. It takes pencil and acrylic really well. I have been amazed at how durable and thin the pages are. It also erases like a champ. Every once in a while I leave it under a big stack of anatomy books to flatten it out as it will puff up over time. My favorite thing to do is sketch out a mess of under drawings in pencil and seal the page and drawings with acrylic matte medium. You can take more acrylic, markers, ink, white out, sharpie paint markers over the top of the sketches. I got a little brush pen I filled with isopropyl alcohol so I can erase and liquify the markers and acrylic paint if I feel the need. Anyways, its an awesome sketchbook and I highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always been puzzled by how hard it is to find toned sketchbooks too. I find them indispensable.

I am in the UK so I don't know if the same products are available in the US (if not I'm sure they're still easily ordered online), but I haven't seen anything like these mentioned, so I really want to tell anyone interested about the Murano pastel pads I use - there are three different ones available, each with six different colours of high quality paper in them. The "neutral" (greys, blue-greys, neutral browns) colours are my favourite but I love the "warm" (reds, yellows, warm browns) and "cool" (blues, greens, purples) pads too. They come in A3 and A4. I haven't seen any others like them and they are awesome.

I also have an "Earthbound" recycled sketchbook with a kind of oatmeal brown paper, probably similar to those mentioned by others.

I'm really interested in the tea staining idea - how is that done, is it just a matter of painting a wash with tea? (I love tea, and the idea of using it in my art appeals to me!). And would it help the longevity of the paper if some sort of sealant was used over the artwork?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found this at Barnes & Noble today.

Cachet Earthbound Recycled Sketch Book

It had tan or light brown pages. As you can see from the photos I took, the one I found was spiral bound, which I would prefer. I might go back and buy it later.
    ...oh and the one I found was like ten bucks. Way better price.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to necro this, but would coffee make a suitable replacement for tea for the purposes of adding a bit of color to my sketchbook paper?

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by Norkagar; July 27th, 2012 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Sorry to necro this, but would coffee make a suitable replacement for tea for the purposes of adding a bit of color to my sketchbook paper?
    You can use acrylics. Just pick your color wet the paper first before applying color and do a very thin wash with a big soft brush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia412 View Post
    unfortunately unless your paper is sturdy and thick it is likely to wrinkle after be stained. You may be able to iron it out though just make sure you put a barrier between it and the paper like a thick piece of cloth or you might burn the paper.Toned SketchbookToned SketchbookToned SketchbookToned Sketchbook
    If you want something a little more sturdy but still oatmeal colored, you could get a scrapbooking album. However it's a bit pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/Canson-Scrapbo.../dp/B0023AZFWI

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Strathmore are finally coming out with toned sketchbooks. Theyll have all grey and tan. I think they will come out next month, if not I'll let you know when.

New Zealand, Aotearoa 'Land Of The Long White Cloud'
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i want a cachet earthbound sketch book i think they would be awesome to work with, but i stay in new zealand and we dont have them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sister's spending some time in Brighton, which gave me ideas for Christmas suggestions. That got knocked on the head when I found out the factory shop's fifteen miles outside Brighton...

Doing okay with coloured card, though. And this:

Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    You can use acrylics. Just pick your color wet the paper first before applying color and do a very thin wash with a big soft brush.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I make my sketchbooks myself, so I can use whatever kind of paper I want.
    Another option is making/buying a sketchbook with sturdy watercolor paper (not the one with texture, and not the ones that soak up all the water. But more normalish paper but very thick so it doesn't wrinkle), then paint it with a wash of ink or bister. the best way to get a beautiful toned paper, that does look natural.

Members who have read this thread: 15