C.O.W. #217 ,Urban Disturbance. VOTING!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your favorite urban disturber...

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ispirized

1 1.96%
  • NicholasHendriks

1 1.96%
  • Wierd.Is.Wonderful.

0 0%
  • Solideus

1 1.96%
  • steve_courtney

7 13.73%
  • jcpahl

21 41.18%
  • Nkristian

11 21.57%
  • v-lkry

1 1.96%
  • Rob Powell

8 15.69%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #217 ,Urban Disturbance. VOTING!

C.O.W. 217 Urban Disturbance_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #217 VOTING

Topic: Urban Disturbance

Deadline for the voting: 1 week.

Round Requirements (read BEFORE posting anything)
    -The creature must exist and thrive in an urban environment

-The creature should not be dangerous to humans, but has reproduced to the point of being a pest

-It should be clear that the creature is not originally from the city (i.e. it did not have part of it’s evolutionary process take place in the city)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; June 23rd, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #217, Urban Disturbance - Furroad

Artist: Inspirized

Concept: Furroad
    (pilosus crebercapitis)
    While furroad normally live in forested areas, excessive amounts of logging have caused them to migrate into nearby cities. In their natural habitat they would use their powerful legs and very dense skull to headbutt trees and knock anything from rip fruit to eggs and baby birds from the branches. This skill in now used to topple garbage cans, after which they use their tiny claws to pick apart trash. People's wasteful habits make garbage cans a great source for an abundance for food.

Their thick coat would let them survive on even the most cold winter night in their forest home and works no less effectively in the city. The ease with which the furroad can survive in a city has caused their numbers to skyrocket and being no larger than an average sized rat there is certainly enough room.

On occasions it has been noted that a person may get in the way of a leaping furroad. Due to the height of garbage cans, this usually results in the mild bruising of the legs, or in the case of a child the stomach.

Furroad meat is tough and doesn't usually taste very good. Considered of a grade less than mutton however makes for a well lasting jerky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #217, Urban Disturbance - Mustelidae Cryptocercus

Artist: NickHendriks

Concept: Mustelidae Cryptocercus
    Distantly related to the weasel, this small mammal bores into wood to make its home. In the wild they generally select dead trees, but since being introduced to an urban environment, they have taken to boring into house timbers. They use their modified mouthparts and strong digging claws to create holes 3"-5" in diameter, often several feet deep.
    Structural damage from these pests can be devastating to infested homes, as larger support beams are likely burrowing areas.

Last edited by NicholasHendriks; June 19th, 2011 at 11:31 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NicholasHendriks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    USE THE ATTACHMENT MANAGER (post reply > go advanced > attachment manager - and use the paperclip icon to embed the image)! This way no images get lost over time.

Artist: Solideus

Concept: Bakoonian Squeepo
    Originally smuggled to earth from the distant world Bakoon to be used as exotic pets, the Squeepo has now flooded Earth cities.

The Squeepo normally hasn't much going for them in the survival department; they are very slow, near-sighted, very badly camouflaged and extremely stupid. but due to a lack of predators and easy-to-get meals the Squeepo population has exploded in big cities like New York, Tokyo and Paris.

Their rapid spreading is the fault of their nightly reproduction rituals which begins with maddening mating calls echoing across the city and ends with a horde of young Squeepos.

After birth they carelessly travel the streets, more often than not getting themselves crushed under a car tire.

However, even in death the cadavers emit a terrible stench that is impossible to wash out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: steve_courtney

Concept: Four-Legged Red-Eyed Coffee-Snatcher

The F.L.R.E.C.S. is a relative to the Flamingo, that's been forced inland due to its former habitat being turned into waterfront housing. These birds usually live quiet lives, sleeping away on the riverbank, and were not prepared for the stress of urban life. Too many cars, people and noises keep them awake with fear night after night.
    So they've picked up a nasty caffeine addiction. In fact, it's gotten so bad that they will swoop down on unsuspecting pedestrians and grab their venti-soy-caramel-mocha-lattes right out of their hands, using their long, powerful legs.
    All the extra time they have from being awake 24/7 has led to their population exploding. In a few short years, they have become a major pest in several coastal cities.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steve_courtney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: jcpahl

Concept: Mutant Spider-Monkey
    A mutant spider monkey from the radioactive jungles of Burma. People thought they would make good pets, but once introduced to an urban environment, their numbers proved impossible to control.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: MatiXmAta

Concept: Pulvis Wasp
    The Pulvis Wasp came from a desert area to the urban environment by a coincidence. There it multiplied to a much higher number so it bacame a pest.

By flying and moving its tail it produces sand wich gets into the machinery of nearby cars , planes etc. making it rusty and unable for use. By it's fast movement , it spreads the sand all over the place making itself a new home to live.

At day , the Sun heats the sand so at night the Pulvis Wasp is warm.

Drawing fulfills me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Nkristian

Concept: SnailFume
    this strange creature can filter air it can clean its solid and liquid particles then bring it back again fresh. Because of its nature scientist
    introduced it to the cities where air pollution is large.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nkristian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: v-lkry

Concept: Blue-tipped Oragkutna

A native of the warm jungles on the south tip of Ernam, this species of Oragkutna was heavily imported to nations as a pet for its docile nature and reclusive behaviour. It had a simple diet consisting of plants. However, in the year x034, a shipment of Blue-tipped Oragkutna was lost during an accident near the city of Biovear. Sightings of Oragkutna began to pop up in Biovear's hi-tech "tepidi" parks. These parks were the first to feature a highly advanced homeostasis system that used artificial methods to maintain plantlife and oxygen levels as a means of creating cleaner air.

Because of the homeostasis system, the artificial trees in the parks provided humid air, warm and constant temperature, and lots of nutritious plantlife to the incoming batch of the lost Oragkutnas on its metal infrastructure.

At first, the Oragkutnas seemed to add to the "decor" of the parks-- bringing a sense of "wild-life" to the city. The Oragkutnas were largely ignored as they began to make the parks their home. However, a few years later, council member Jafma Kurrque realized a connection between malfunctioning tepidi parks and rising numbers of the Orgakutna population around those park areas. The Orgakutna was then listed as an invasive species, and Biovear has attempted to rid itself of the new lizard population. However, still viewed as a domestic pet, another contributing problem is that the society keeps adopting them, but soon abandoning them on the streets to fend for themselves. This has also lead to a destruction in some areas' private property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 649 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: Purple Night Creeper

Origianlly native to nearby swamplands, they were introduced into the city's sewer systems to decrease the local rat population. They weren't considereed a problem until they made their way to the city surface. These intelligent scavengers are normally active at night rooting through people's trash for leftovers. They are normally timid and will flee when threatened, but they may bite if cornered or if protecting a nearby spawn. There were a few rare cases of home invasions, some people have awoken to find the fridge raided with food scattered throughout the kitchen. It is still uncertain if these creatures are to blame for the home invasions because no one has claimed to have spotted them. In the meantime it is advised that all citizens lock their doors and keep food wastes at a minimal.

Name:  urban disturbance sketches copy.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  294.4 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cuts this week:
    MatiXmAta - Reason: Failed quality check. Work looks rushed/unfinished.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 649 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Crits for the week. Not gonna lie, kinda dissapointed that there wasn't as many entries this round, cuz I thought that this was a really good topic. Even though there's not a lot it was still kinda hard to vote...between NicholasHendricks, steve_courtney, and jcpahl....ended up voting for steve_courtney, I really liked the cartoony style to this

@Inspirized: Cute little bugger actually, since this guy headbutts, trees and garbage cans, you should've made the bump on it's head a bit more prominent, at least enough to protect the eyes. You also have a lot of empty space on the right that probably should've been reduced to framing just around the creature, or perhaps show something to indicate the scale of the creature.

@NicholasHendricks: I like this creature's head, it would be nice if you showed a little more detail on the creature's mandibles and eyes. I can imagine this guy having a lot more whiskers as well. The rendering used for the fur has actually worked quite nicely seeing as it gives you a fuzzy looking texture, some of the bounce lighting on the bottom of the creature could actually be rendered a bit better imo. Also that dark patch at the base of the neck should be fixed to match the rest of the creature's underside. You should put a shadow to ground the creature, cuz unless the creature actually floats it's best to show them standing on something solid. It's a decent looking critter with a little more time put into this you can really develop something really cool!

@Solideus: Once again some funny side sketches. The rendering on the tire is pretty good as well. However, the creature still kind of morphs into the background (if you look over the head by the tire especially, there is a nice straight line that distrupts the form of your creature) The colours seem a little too desaturated as well so it makes it look a little dull against the grey
    background. A lot of what needs work I've already stated in the Wips thread, but an interesting concept.

@steve_courtney: This has got a neat look to it, reminds me of some old-school cartoony comic-book stuff in a way. The bird has got an interesting design. It would've been neat if you had it sticking it's tongue in the cup licking up the caramelly goodness inside :9....Mmmm caramel....The lighting is a bit confusing as the cast shadow on the ground indicates the light source is behind the creature where as the lighting on the creature itself seems to be on the top right. Anywas the rendering is decent and the textures are quite subtle but still let's us (the viewer's) know we are looking at a feathery surface. I do have to point out there is not much red in the eyes as it's name suggests though.

@jcpahl: Some really nice rendering going on, though some of the fur looks like it needs to be sharpened a bit in some places. I think also making the background a little darker would make the creatures whole silhouette stand out a bit more as well, because there are some places where the fur just blande into the background because it has the same light value. Also I can tell that you flip the canvas often because if you notice the soup can reads backwards, be sure to remember these details when your finalizing your piece. In general this is a really good piece, very appealing.

@MatiXmAta: The rendering seems a bit flat, decide upon a lightsource a build your form around that. Add shading and highlighting to really make it look more 3-Dimensional. It makes your stuff look more appealing. The anatomy on the wings is a bit messy, use some reference, I can't stress enough how important it is to use reference when your unsure. There are a lot of pictures of insect wings that you can use, also when using reference you don't need to copy line for line use it as a guide so the drawing still looks liek your own. Also showing a bit more depth on your creature will make the focal point (it's head) stand out more while it's tail should stand out less. A simple way of doing this is to use a soft brush set at a low opacity and lightly colour over part with the same colour as the background, but there are other more accurate ways of doing this, just keep experimenting.

@Nkristian: A decent little illustration. I can see these guys being a bit overly annoying. The image is a bit too busy though, images like this have almost no flow becasue of the fact that there is nothing that really stands as a focal point.

@v-lkry: Neat looking critter, and a good composition, there is a god balance of cool and warm colours. The rendering is decent but looks very unfinished. Some parts are hard to read because of this, I'm trying to figure out what it is your creature is sitting on, becasue it is a little rough. Perhaps you were a
    little tight on time, but this piece could benefit with a little more attention.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powell, thanks for the critique. I actually left it flipped like that on purpose, with the hope that reversing the letters would de-emphasize them as a focal point in the image. Dunno if it's successful.

Your piece has a good design going on, but I think you're compressing your values into the dark end of the scale somewhat. A full range of values would enhance it significantly, I think; right now, it's very low contrast, and nothing in the image really 'pops.'

This is an issue that it's easy to run into when you start working directly into color, I've found; you might try establishing your value structure in black and white before moving into color on your next piece.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rob, I don't have any excuse about my piece missing a focal point I can see that i have a problems here thank you for pointing that out i'll keep that in mind in the next round.

yeah its a bit disappointing that only few people participated this round. lets see for the next round maybe more people will join.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Nkristian because his pest is very believable. I HATE slugs. Always having to avoid them at night because i dare not kill a living thing. Jcpahl entry is awesome too.

Authentically I would go for Jcpahl, but as this is concept art I voted for Nkristian for his believable contribution.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Rob Powell, really liked the design and pose of his creature. Sure it looks a little dark, but it is called the Purple Night Creeper, so I wouldn't expect to be seeing it in daylight. Seeing the close up in the WIP's thread showed how much detail went into it. Well done sir!

Also liked the design of v-lkry's entry, plus I enjoyed the extended backstory. Obviously a lot of thought went into that, so bravo.

Thanks to Rob for all the crits. I totally agree that the lighting on my entry is a little whack, I'm still very new to this digital painting thing and that seems to be my biggest struggle at the moment. It really hurts the grounding of my character in its environment. Hopefully working more on some life studies will sort that out.

This was a fun competition to participate in, I look forward to entering more in the near future...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to steve_courtney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

crits

Great job guys, good entrys from all

inspirized Nice design, i like this creatures expression and also the stylised rendering. I think you could have done the creature more justice with more consideration to the over all design. The white scribbled border takes alot of attention away from the creature and makes it look rushed. Not much to show this as an urban disturbance either.

nicholashendriks I like the idea of your creature.I can imagine this pest from your description. Your creature concept doesn't show aspects of your description so as an initial read it is hard to tell what this creature is. Also theres nothing here to show it's urbanised (hope thats actually a word ;p). Also perhaps further rendering could help push your creature design further.

solideus haha, this creature is a great idea. I remember liking it during the WIP's. The end design turned out well, i like the layout also. I think a mix of textures throughout your design would help alot (like the metal on the car, and the pavement) and also a further look at your lighting and values. Establish a light source and think about how light would react with different surfaces.

steve courtney Lol, thats quite an imagination. Addicted flamingos ;p!? Interesting concept, perhaps abit unbelievable but interesting never the less. I also like how you presented the final image. Kinda reminds of a newspaper picture. Perhaps the actual creature design could be abit more ambitious, think about why creatures are designed the way they are, every creature in nature is designed that way for a reason. Why would this bird have 4 legs and 8 eyes? Still a good final regardless, well done.

jcpahl Very nicely rendered creature. I love this expression. I think his feet and tail on the floor could do with abit of work, it kinda looks like hes floating and also the shadow is unrealistic. I just noticed the soup can hes holding is backwards, i'm guessin from where you've flipped the canvas. Other than that its a nice design, i hope to see more of your stuff in the future.

matixmata Cool idea, i think the design could use further rendering because at the moment it looks too much like a work in progress. Things to think about are the lighting, textures, perspective and the over all read. Getting a light source to show the lights and darks are important. Check out stuff from everyday life and look at how light effects different objects. This will also help you establish what material this creature is made out off and help you when creating the creatures skin, scales, wings etc etc. Because there is no light source or background the creature looks flat and the way it's tail is positioned looks unrealistic, check out perspective to help you improve on this. Finally, the overall design doesn't show what your description says. Perhaps you could do a swarm of these in the background, showing loads of rusted cars and lamp posts or something. I like the idea of your creature though and i look forward to seeing more of your work. Keep it up

nkristian Good take on the subject, very original design, kind of a win, loose situation ;p. The actual creature concept is good and i like how you've show these in their environment. I think the actual illustration is abit busy though and it's abit hard on the eyes. Because there is so much going on its difficult to read. The values and colours all seem very similiar which also doesn't help with how it reads.

v-lkry I like the over all design and the creature is very cool. The way its back leg and tail fits on that object feels prity unnateral. I would have also loved to see this rendered further because at the mo it feels unfinished. I think the major problem for me also is the fact you've described this creature for having docile nature and reclusive behaviour, but it looks like a predator. This thing looks like it could take out a komodo dragon - http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&...w=1259&bih=568. Its very spikey, has fierce forward pointing eyes and huge claws and teeth. If i saw on of these while walking my dog in the park i would fear for my, and my dogs life ;p. Other than that its a good entry, keep it up .

Rob Powell I think this is your strongest entry yet and you improve every week (whats your secret? ;p) I love the wet texture of its skin and also the posture. I can imagine this creature in your description. Perhaps some nice orange rim lighting from street lights would have helped light up your design abit and also helped with colour variation and mood. I think the values on the trash cans could also be improved because at the mo they don't look like metal. Never the less a solid entry, you got my vote. I look forward to seein more of your stuff in the future.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.