C.O.W. #217 ,Urban Disturbance. Wips Thread.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #217 ,Urban Disturbance. Wips Thread.

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  250.3 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.concepyart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #217, Urban Disturbance

topic:

ROUND#217, Urban Disturbance

Imagine that a foreign species has been introduced into the urban environment. A species which begins to thrive and reproduce rapidly to the point where they’ve become an extreme nuisance to the people living in that city. This week we will focus on designing a creature which has begun to do just that, thrive in the urban environment to the point of becoming a pest. Think about instances like the Cane Toad, which, when released in Australia to reduce a particular beetle population, had a significant effect on the biodiversity of that part of the country. Also think about creatures that already live in the urban environment, why they can, and what makes them pests.

Round Requirements:

The creature must exist and thrive in an urban environment

The creature should not be dangerous to humans, but has reproduced to the point of being a pest

It should be clear that the creature is not originally from the city (i.e. it did not have part of it’s evolutionary process take place in the city)

Deadline:

JUNE 22nd 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

finals go here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...69#post3157069

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another great topic. Will be interesting to se what people come up with.

I instantly thought of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH55iTS_FMY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice topic! I actually have an idea for this one. heh.

Also, I thought of the same thing as logistic puppet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, damn I had EXACTLY the same idea as you two!

My gallery: http://www.shanepollard.com/ I would be honored if anyone from ConceptArt were to visit it. I am amazed and enthralled by all that is done here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Clark, for posting the topic for me. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with, we've had a really strong showing for the last few rounds. Keep it up!

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys.
    I was following this creature of the week ''contests'' for about a year now and I finaly decided to try this out have alot of imagination so lets not waste it.
    I'm kinda new to this so I appreciate your advices and critics , I will need em

So my idea will be this. It's some kind of a sand insect that came from the desert areas to the urban environment. By shaking it's tail , the insect produces sand making a sand cloud. They go in groups so they make a sand fog that interupts driving in a car or flying by a plane making it a pest. Hope it's not that similar to a wasp or something.

Drawing fulfills me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Graffiti Bug,lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. I'll make a shot at this.
    WIP

The idea is a slow, stupid, stinky and resilient critter that wanders aimlessly in the city, more often than not getting itself killed under your car. The roadkills emit a terrible stench that is impossible to wash out.
    At night they reproduce in a choir of squeaking mating-calls that is sure too keep the whole town awake.

Design inspired by hippos, crocodiles and rodents.
    Process inspired by the work of Feng Zhu and Mike Corriero.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boy! im so making a dust bunny!

I shot the sheriff.
    Now I'm the sheriff.

March's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well here is a quick sketch. need to think a interesting composition to show the mouth and think how to "evolve" the bunny body to a more unnatural form.

I shot the sheriff.
    Now I'm the sheriff.

March's Sketchbook

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Neat topic

@MatiXmAta: Neat idea, I'd recommend looking up some references to get a more accurate bug-like anatomy going, give some mandibles and some more details on the body, cuz although it isn't looking like an existing bug, it does resemble a pokemon, Beedrill.

@Lege1: possible inspiration from the last topic maybe? Make the head look a bit less geometric and make it look a bit more organic, so it doesn't look like it's man-made. Perhaps a nozzle or spout that sprays the'paint', also the perspective looks off on the bug on the right, practise working on your foreshortening, take into consideration parts that may not be visible at a certain angle.

@Solideus: Interesting looking critter, Doesn't look very mobile though. Nothing to really suggest cuz it's still a bit early, but I do notice that some parts of the creature are in shadow that shouldldn't be, like on it's left nostril there should be a bit more light to indicate it's form and so it doesn't look too separate from the rest of the creature's face.

@Flame_Unquenchable: Interesting creatures, the one on the bottom left is a little hard to read atm. But it is still very rough so well see where you go with these, but it's good that your exploring different ideas, and don't be afraid to combine them together, the possiblities are endless

@Marsch: Can be a bit of a twist to a simple mass of hair and dirt. Interesting to see where your gonna take this..

Oh Look a Pidgeon!
    Name:  pidgeon.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  118.6 KB
    This idea popped in my head for some reason...anyways I have a much better idea than your basic rat with wings...
    this was no more than just a thumbnail sketch, the only one I came up with that actually looked half decent, and it's pretty close to what I had in mind.
    Name:  urban disturbance sketches copy.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  283.8 KB
    basically some kind of amphibious predator the size of a medium build dog, will not harm humans beyond a bite when threatened, but they are basically raccoons X10 when it comes to being pests, plus they are extremely intelligent which can make them even worse....etc, etc

Last edited by Rob Powell; June 18th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Metal Muncher

Here's a line-art layout and basic colors for my entry, a tiny reptile who unfortunately breeds like crazy and eats metal. I stumbled upon the idea of putting one on a bottle cap when trying to figure out how to give its small scale.

Last edited by Weird.Is.Wonderful.; June 19th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work folks

matixmata Cool idea, keep pushing the rendering and try to show what your desription says in the design.
    lege1 Interesting concept, reminds me of last weeks topic 'the painter'. Try and incorporate a reason why these bugs are painting all over the city. Are they marking their territory? or making some kind of nest? Try to get these answers through in the design.
    solideus haha, i love that creature. It sounds like a complete nightmare ;D At the mo its not reading what your description says, try to incorporate that smelling, noisy, road kill creature in the design.
    Flame unquenchable Your ideas are similar to mine, i like the concepts you've come up with. i look forward to seeing your ideas progress.
    marsch nice bunny drawing, try and think what and why your bunny has a more unnateral form, everything in nature is designed a certain way for a reason, try to remember this when you come up with creature designs. Also don't forget to show why this bunny is an urban disturbance. Look forward to seein what you come up with.
    rob powell haha, winged rats have already been done by nature, there called bats ;p
    like the amphibious predator, lookin forward to seeing how you develop it.
    weird.is,wonderful good idea, i can imagine his thing being a real pain in the ass if real. To show they breed like crazy you'll prob have to show masses of them and also show them feeding on metal. Could be a challenge but will look cool if you manage it.

Weekend off + Cow =
    Heres my original design, which i then scrapped and my new wip so far -

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Progress. Feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just some extra feedback...

@Weird.Is.Wonderful: Neat concept, reminiscent of the locust swarm, and the little metal shards are a nice touch. although the leg anatmoy is a bit off, a creature's leg is more functional when it has a thigh that allows it's legs to extend forward, if your going for the grasshopper look, the legs need to be a bit longer so they are able to push it's body forward when they extend back. Another thing I'd suggest, is why the creature would need to eat metal, is there something apart of it's anatomy that requires a high mineral intake? think about these things so you can improve on the design and make it more believable.

@logisticpuppet: I'm liking your second idea better, seems like just the kind of creature that goes about it's day eating people's garbage, unaware of that fact that everyone hates it.

@Solideus: Looks better, try to add a bit of a tonal variance, because parts of the creature are blanding in a bit too much into the background, and build up it's highlights to improve it's form

@lkjhgfdsa: Best one so far! I can see this being a nuisence just because it looks so damn scary, even the rats are going "EEEK!"The colours are looking really nice on it too, the subtle reds and greens really add something to this critter.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa Cool creature. A suggestion.
    Name:  lkjhgfdsa - legs.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  321.0 KB

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blankstate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update...
Views: 758
Size:  278.6 KB
    trying to figure out a lightsource, I want to have it lit up by some flashlight as if you the viewer are looking at it with that lightsource but I don't really want to have frontlighting on the creature....decisions....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got my idea from the crabs posted earlier. but I want my creature to a have a unique aspect why it exist in an urban environment.

I'll give my comments on others work tomorrow.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nkristian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The 'Red-Eyed Four-Legged Coffee Snatcher'

Hi all, first post here. Thought I'd try out one of these creatures.

My concept is a flamingo style bird, that's been forced inland due to its wetlands being turned into waterfront housing. These birds sleep standing up, but the city doesn't offer anywhere for them to sleep safely, too many people, cars, noises and predators. So they've picked up a nasty caffeine addiction. In fact, it's gotten so bad that they will swoop down on unsuspecting pedestrians and grab their soy-mocha-lattes right out of their hands, using their long, powerful legs.
    All the extra time they have from being awake 24/7 has led to their population exploding. In a few short years, they have become a major pest in several coastal cities.

Let me know what you all think...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More progress

Here's where I'm at right now, laying in the values...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still going...

Finishing off values, going to start adding color soon. Any feedback welcome...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powell - Good linework, seems a little large for an urban pest. More in the urban predator range. Perhaps if the garbage cans were more along the size of soda cans the scale would feel more appropriate to a nuisance rather than a serious danger.
    Nkristian - It's hard to tell from the current perspective, but the scaling seems to place the creature as something rather large. There are ways to pull that off, but it could be tough to do and still make it feel like pest.
    steve_courtney - Feels rather flat. Keep trying to push depth in the forms and get some texture in the plumage.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update...
Views: 656
Size:  284.2 KB
    [EDIT]@Si_Swe: Thnx for the suggestion but since I've already went ahead I'm just gonna leave it as is, perhaps if you think of it as a scavenger, then they could be less of a threat maybe

Last edited by Rob Powell; June 19th, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First lick of color

First color pass, going to add in some texture next...

(sorry if I'm posting too much, I can get a little carried away.)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to steve_courtney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstate View Post
    lkjhgfdsa Cool creature. A suggestion.
    Name:  lkjhgfdsa - legs.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  321.0 KB
    WADR... I think it looked right before, it gave a sense of the legs tucked under the creature and suggested a gangling ungainly gait with the hips splayed but the rework makes the thigh look straight and loses that creepy suggestion of locomotion and pushes the "elbows out making it look pigeon toed which is less menacing also the weight distribution looks wrong now too

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Steelfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    steve_courtney Haha. Great idea. love the description - soy-mocha-lattes.

lkjhgfdsa Like i said these are only suggestions. I do like your creature and think it works well enough as is. It only appeared that the one leg seemed slightly off somehow and that you might be struggling with how to go about it and am trying to help with reference and alternatives. It depends a lot on weather you want the creature walking or running i suppose. Of course it is ultimately up to you how to continue.

Name:  lkjhgfdsa - legs 2.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  247.8 KB
    Might find these useful. Was thinking of how an ostrich's legs are similar
    Name:  Ostrich board.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  435.6 KB

Last edited by Blankstate; June 20th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.