Sketchbook: Acids from hell - Page 7

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Acids from hell

Thanks
    i absolutely adore your use of such saturated colours. that acid green is eyecandy.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to nodeerskulls For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    YES! Naked neon ladies! More of this please!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    love Your pencils

in need of help please comment and constructive CRITIQUE
    my sketchbook
    Yarosh on DA
    SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

7. The Following User Says Thank You to yarosh For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Hi f1x, thanks for the kind words in my SB.

Regarding the 'america' picture you did. I hope you don't mind, my critique.

I did a paintover to help explain [Here].

Keep in mind this is usually the way I draw, but in no way is the 'correct' way. I notice a lot of your drawings/paintings you do a more general ambient lighting scheme as opposed to the chirascuro-esque style that I usually do. So, these suggestions are merely the 'style' that I prefer.

With regards to this image (and many images in your gallery) there is a distinct lack of edge variation and cast shadows. For example, in the america image (in your version), the edge sharpness between her hair and the chair behind is the same as the edge sharpness between her shoulder pad and the chair, which is also the same sharpness as the edge between her groin and the seat.

In general, hair should be drawn with soft edges, especially where it meets other shadowed areas. Also, because hair casts shadows it's almost always a good idea to soften it, at least a little bit.

You should also try to soften edges where shadow areas meet shadow areas. In my version, I pumped up the lighting quite a bit in order to add more cast shadows to your illustration. Some areas where I have added shadow meet shadow are:

1. Her hair and the chair behind. Notice, how the edge between her hair and the chair behind her is pretty much non existant. It's just a subtle value transition.

2. Her groin and the seat.

3. Her corset, and the chair behind. This edge is actually almost completely removed.

One other note regarding shadows. The eyes! The eyes are also almost always in shadow. Not only are they sunken inside the eye sockets, they are also shaded by the eyelids and the eyelashes. The eyelashes should be rendered in the same way as hair (with a soft edge). In addition, because everything in the eye socket is in shadow, it should be rendered quite softly. It also adds a nice air of mystery and seductiveness (dark eyes in shadow). I didn't change the shape of the eyes in my paintover at all, but they look A LOT different, simply because I softened them and put them into shadow.

Tip: Cast shadows are GREAT for showing form. I added a cast shadow from the hamburger staff onto her legs. I think in general some more focus on shadows would be benificial in your work.

And finally with regards to composition and value; In your version, the background is currently competing with the character in terms of value. It contains the same value hierarchy as your figure. It has dark darks in the shadow, and bright brights in the light. Your figure also contains this strong value contrast (her hair vs her face). This works great on the figure! You want that strong contrast on her face, because we want the viewer to look at the face. But, it doesn't work great on the background. We don't want people looking at the drapery. Not only is the drapery not important, but it's not as fleshed out as the figure anyway! We don't want people to focus on the background. In my version I darkened and smoothed it all out. The background now is all a dark value with very low contrast and doesn't compete for attention. High contrast is left for the focus (her face and chest) and gradates outward from there.

For more information on edges, do take a look at J.S. Sargent's work. I really believe he is the best at it. This one image in particular (notice their hair on each of the figures). But, do take a look at other images in his gallery and see how he handles his edges (especially hair).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FinalKnight For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Wow what a lovely sketchbook!
    Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice like FinalKnight above did.
    I think its is pretty clear that you are MUCH more comfortable with pencils than with digital media- which is awesome
    Your shading technique is very crass and it makes your sketches so lively!
    I especially like the game of thrones ones- I don't know the movie/book but it looks very neat and I wouldn't have figured that it's a sketch from screen if you hadn't said so.

Keep it up!
    And if I were you I'd probably stick to traditional media.. watercolor, acrylics- I think that'd be great.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Cameli - I will!!
    Jessibelle - Guess thats a virtue and a curse, I lay down color tones easily and in a pretty strong way, but when I have to work further then its when I have problems.. =D but anyway I love sketchiness.. so I wont be too sad
    Rotor - Tits forever bro, tits forever..
    nodeerskulls - I freaking love acid colors, specially alien green,which is something hard to get in traditional media, unless you use spray cans, you can actually get this colors (in real life) painting "graffitti"
    GEB - Ok sir, lets see what more I can do!!
    yarosh - Thanks a lot!!
    FinalKnight - First of all thanks for taking the time to comment and do the paint-over, its very very helpful,
    actually yes, I usually try to go for a more dramatic lightning, or ambiental as you said, trying to match the mood of the image with that, and I think I acomplish it with the color but not with the rendering/shadows, and yes one of my weakest points are edges and shadows
    Sargent is great, and its spot on to learn about edges and blending (personally me being from Barcelona I prefer Ramon Casas, which is from a similar artistic period)
    I might do some studies it will certainly help me understand all of this concepts

anyway I've worked further on the amerika image following your advice and the paintover (but I've done it a bit more directional in terms of light)

here:
    Name:  amerikabanda.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  185.2 KB
    It definitely works much better, has more depth and more athmosphere, and I still can work much more on it!!
    actually I'm reworking a couple of old pieces which I saw aswell that were a bit lacking on shadows

LordLouis - no problem, thanks!! well the thing is I've been working the last 4 years as graphic designer and before that I was very focused on drawing for comicbooks (which I abandoned frustrated of the economical imposibilities) so I've got the chance to keep working on colors and pencils but I'm very newbie in terms of rendering and shadowing, if you see my traditional stuff is also a bit flat, (just that digital is more demanding when you try to do "realism") I will try improve everything anyway, I do love painting with acrylics or watercolors from time to time!!

kevin_ - Thanks kevin, glad that you like

Now a couple more stuffs:

some crazy shit:
    Name:  hungry.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  146.9 KB

and I colored this:
    Name:  battle4.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  337.9 KB
    I was a bit of experimenting with color again, trying to block out, work with contrast of primary-oposed and then some middle values
    the result is... weird

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to f1x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice! I like the image colored, and it still looks super cool. Is that a hamburger near the bottom right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f1x View Post

Attachment 1258788
    Sacred before and after
    Great work, the face really reminds me of Lana Del Ray

Thanks
    This is the kind of work that I like to watch, and it's one of my goals, not only do "nice drawings" but compositions, really awesome compositions here, that the image want to say something and not only the good lines, really inspiring for me!

Thanks
    Symphony of Destruction and Innocence are awesome! Love the concept in the former and the linework / general look and feel of it! Something I'd love to have a print of on my wall. I like your painting style, your use of brush strokes and colouring is very appealing and fresh.
    Keep it up and please post more stuff!

Thanks
    I really like how in your linework you have detailed lines everywhere in the picture, but still somehow you manage to keep the focus on the subject. I must try that kind of line infested approach too

Thanks
    shit is crazy! keep rollin'!

Thanks
    Sorry guys I posted before but then I was not to satisfied so I deleted,
    here are the repplies:

*Shadow Stalker* - It is.. I dont know why is there... I was probably hungry or something...
    *DaleC* - Lana looks awesome in that pic (even with that botox lip of hers..) the pic is awesome for hair study aswell, sacred image tho was inspired/referenced using a model photo, cant remember the name atm
    *Egg0* - Well composition has always been an interest to me, I mean you could paint with a perfect technique (I wish I could !) but if the composition (and lightning-color) is weak the image will always be weak
    *danomatic* - Thanks a lot, I was very satisfied when I did that symphony of destruction piece, but now I look at it and think about working further on it with the knowledge I have now... maybe some day
    *Juho* - You dont know how much I hate my multi-lines, should see one of my sketches gone wrong, looks like somekind of squizofrenic drawing..
    *pgf95* - hell yeah!!

Now some stuff:
    Name:  manycharacthers2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  260.7 KB

Thanks
    humm from the previous post I noticed the girl with the machine gun definitely came out flat, I gotta fix that

but for now some more silly stuff:

Name:  elf1.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  205.3 KB

Name:  moli4.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  178.8 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to f1x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Silly stuff is awesome!
    I especially like the first sketch in your new post.
    The colored pencil stuff you included looks awesome and pushes the sketch great in my opinion.

More environmental stuff or animals? Just try to move out of your comfort zone a little bit more.

Sil

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Awesome updates F1x. Love your exploration in subject matter as always. The only real advice I could give you to push your more finished work is to try and clarify your materials better. In the amerika piece for example the hands start to read as metal, but the leggings, corset and staff are all handled pretty much the same. I can assume what they are made out, of but it's more powerful when I can tell the difference between the brass, leather, silk, and steel.

Last edited by Ninjac; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjac For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    that battle from post #187 is supercool! and love your pencilsketches really!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    The Amerika piece is very nice. Sexy, sinister, and intriguing. Adding the cast shadow was a great touch. I enjoy your drawings but you do seem to stay in your comfort zone, try branching out stylistically if you feel you are stuck on a plateau.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Silwynar - Yes I love colored pencils, its been a while since I used them last time,...
    about comfort zone, I appreciate your advice even tho I think I'm doing quite a lot of different stuff

Ninjac - You are right about the materials, by any chance do you have some tutorials or sources to learn about this subject? of course I will use photos and such and do studies but some theory aswell would be nice

rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks!!

jedininjaman - Indeed, thats the great thing about this forums, the advices
    Thanks a lot, at the moment I feel I have a lot to discover not feeling stuck at all, also I'm working a lot in digital paintings which if definitely something I'm not "comfortable" with

now some stuff for the fun of it:
    Name:  563929_424578200901213_100000471106597_1649678_1870576808_n.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  143.9 KB

Name:  a2150190df9ac26043b8ae13b3dfe731-d4vtodp.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  84.8 KB

Last edited by f1x; April 23rd, 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Thanks
    Hello,
    Been busy lately moved to a new flat, but I'm coming slowly back on track
    here are some doodles

Name:  469578_434970493195317_100000471106597_1678663_829468617_o copy.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  a_fistful_of_burgers_by_cuatrovecesuno-d4xbx7r.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  162.3 KB

This is something I'm remaking, you might recognize a previous piece, its very much at the start but definitely liking the new direction, gotta fix the arm and the neck among other stuff
    Name:  555658_435048626520837_100000471106597_1678791_605207987_n.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  64.8 KB

35. The Following User Says Thank You to f1x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    WOW ..... cool work. You have one trippy awesome mind.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to duke_of_lurkington For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    you have such a dope style.. i can look back on my own life and piece together all the subtle influences that make up your style..

and its all great.
    really great.

i will subscribe to this

39. The Following User Says Thank You to battlebattle For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    this is a beautiful SB.you're making me want to experiment with watercolor. also the girl in post #194 has an awesome armor design D:

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Jyou For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    duke_of_lurkington - Thats such a compliment to me
    battlebattle - For sure, I've grown on Ottomo, Moebius, Manara, Samura, etc =D, if some traces of that are left, I'll sleep happy today
    Jyou - You refer to the barbarian one or the sci-fi? the sci-fi one I plan to remodel it cause I like the design but not the execution, barbarian was pretty much diablo3 inspired

By the way I must take the chance to thank everybody who has written comments, critiques, kind words, everybody, its been very helpful and motivating so far, I'm learning tons
    Lately I've been not so receptive but still I believe every critique is right, and i'll make sure to learn from it

For now, some more stuff!:
    Name:  moly9.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  336.2 KB
    Under the sea

Name:  linger47.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  142.6 KB
    I'm progressing with remodeling this piece, I just couldnt stand it to be so perfectly fantasy, I must make it more weird, but atm everything is pretty much roughly sketched but you can see the direction, any critics will be very welcome

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f1x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A small update,

Name:  459607_450468184978881_100000471106597_1721022_301635856_o.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  525926_413243028695647_412540388765911_1470323_330125528_n.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  109.4 KB

Thanks
    Cool update. I'm really loving that assassin chick, too. Her arm looks a little long, but it fits the style and composition, so I don't mind it at all. Well done!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow Stalker For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Shadow Stalker - Indeed I wanted to try an stylized approach to the anathomy, some parts are off tho, like you said, the arm, but its working pretty good for the torso and legs

Now some more crazy stuff:

Name:  halflife11.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  284.3 KB

Name:  moli12.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  257.1 KB

Name:  moly11.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  285.4 KB

Thanks
    Cool updates F1x. I like the manneristic direction you are taking your proportions. That under the see doughnut / diver sketch is awesome in so many ways. I would make a killer finished illustration. The latest fantasy painting is cool, my only crit is the perspective is clashing. Our eye line is about at her waist but we are super low looking up at the castle, making it feel like the figure and the background are not part of the same space. I think lifting the horizon line up higher might be the easiest way to fix it, but its up to you. As far the texture studies go. Take a look at my page here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...149542&page=14

You can see several posts where I did texture spheres. Some of actual textures and others of how light can react or pass through a surface. These studies aren't perfect but they can give you an idea of where to start. You can search "steel sphere, or plastic sphere" and just copy it verbatim. Figuring out how matte, glossy, or reflective different textures feel and how the light hits it from one source will start to help you on your way.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjac For This Useful Post:

f1x

Thanks
    Hey there f1x, I've watched you on dA for while. You have a distinctive style and strong draughtsmanship. There are a few of your pieces, namely the one with the diver and the donut, as well as the elf girl fighting the undead, that would make for powerful illustrations if fully completed. There's a pop-surrealist element to your work and that along with your colouring methods make for your unique style. Are you familiar with the work of Jame Jean?

Please give erudite, constructive critiques or give none at all.

- b l o g - s k e t c h b o o k -

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3