Art: Critique my Portfolio Site. Pretty please.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique my Portfolio Site. Pretty please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique my Portfolio Site. Pretty please.

It probably looks like shit in Internet Explorer. I really haven't done the appropriate debugging yet. But otherwise, I'm open to opinions.

nickreeder.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The background color kinda gives an empty feel, try overlaying any pictures you like.
    Also, wrap the text in a box(kinda like a border box around the text). To make it more solid and serious. And, FACEBOOK & TWITTER buttons please .
    Other than that, the site looks fine.

Cheer Up! World's a big place...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Richi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Professional Image

The written English is not professional but..then.. if that is for effect..it does stand out from the usual bland written parts of resume. There are clients who are going to wonder if your beard has anything to do with your art. Do you use it for a brush? Then post a picture. A prospective client might hesitate ..considering that they will have to carefully proof your written portions to filter out any references to your beard.
    English is an art...and I will say to you what is said to artists..
    Look at what you want to convey..either in drawing or in language...and choose words carefully..
    What image do you want to convey to whom? Who is your audience?
    What emotion do you want to illicit? Do you want to seduce or persuade or enlighten or inspire confidence or..? You can choose words for exactly the same subject that will be different in each case and will ellicit a different response each time.
    For example, if I am selling a dog, I would use different words and tone than if I were finding a home for a stray. If I were showing my dog in competition I would choose words that conveyed "champion." If I were writing my mother about my dog, I would choose words that conveyed "cute."
    English is an art and it is a powerful tool in advertising. Images alone cannot sell any product including yourself. So, if you are selling yourself....the words must be carefully crafted.
    s

6. The Following User Says Thank You to begin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Following up on what begin said, yeah - looking at your resume as well you've gone for a kind of casual approach that is completely inappropriate for the formal setting of a CV, people won't take you seriously.

I get what you where trying to do with the about me section of the website - but it just evokes a slouchy, hands-in-pockets image of you and doesn't really inspire any confidence in your enthusiasm - you need to get people excited about working with you.

On the design side of things, it's a strange choice have the home page as an about me section - you say yourself they probably shouldn't be reading it... then why is it the home page? Make the centre of attention your work, that is what clients are buying after all.

I'd also say the layout of your portfolio page comes across as a bit messy - I think maybe a cleaner solution could be to have information about the work pop up after clicking on the relevant image because it doesn't work for me at the moment.

I hope this doesn't come across as overly negative, I'd say you've got good foundations in place - it just needs some adjustments

I'm an 18 year old living near London in the UK looking to build a great portfolio for BA Graphic Design, about to start foundation at Ravensbourne

BEHANCE.DEVIANTART

SKETCHBOOK

Also please check out this dude: Raffix

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonART For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, guys. I agree with you about the writing. I just can't stand thinking about myself as a serious and professional person. So, while I'll probably still go with a more casual, tongue-in-cheek style of writing, I'm hoping I can find a way to inspire confidence without abandoning my voice... Also, I had forgotten that I'd referenced my beard in both the resume and on the web site, which, as proud of it as I am, I'll admit is a bit much.. Nevertheless, the world needs to know!

So let the writing commence... unless there's a Psych rerun on right now... In which case I'll get to it when I get to it.

Also, does anyone know how I should handle work that I did for made up companies or fake work that I did based on real companies? I don't want to pass things off as actual professional commissions when it's not, but I also feel like it's discouraging when all of my work is labeled as fake. Keep in mind, I'm still in college so I don't have much actual work experience yet. I'll obviously replace the fake stuff as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good!

You can take critiques and learn from it and yet, reserve the right to your own voice.
    I like your style or I wouldn't be commenting. As I say, if it were "meant" to be the way you conveyed it then it is more arresting than the usual copybook resume formula..which is stiff and bland.
    You can strike a balance...and that balance is..that you can do "pro bono" work if only designing a web site for a local church or doing web site art for a small business..or anything you have done..
    ANYTHIING..is not for the money..or the prestige or ..the portfolio but to demonstrate that you have done the work, you have dealt with clients and can design.
    My point was and is..stop apologizing and adding riders .."I am only in college"
    but I am proud of my beard.."I only have "fake" work"..What is that..traced images or colored clip art? Have you done work for anyone..even a drawing for a charity sale or helped a friend with a web page..That is not "fake."
    Watch the words..Words have meaning and power to evoke more than your drawing pencils..more than any art work..and people do read..
    I will illustrate the art of English for you..
    Read..and tell me what you see in your mind:
    "As happy as a spotted pup under a red wagon."
    Or my brother's favorite poem:
    "Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
    Hairy little piggies feet
    Top it off with carbonated vulture vomit and me without my spoon!"

It is the "only" and the "fake...loose it and you will be way ahead while keeping your very original voice..I could hire you and even let you write the copy..You have a ..style. You just need to refine it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to begin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new draft of the "about" section. Let me know:

I'm Nick. Those who know me best would describe me as shy and a bit awkward. After I reach the proper dollar amount, however, I suspect they would also mention my masterful eye for composition, my exceptional skill in crafting visual puns that would surely be the envy of Shakespeare, and my brilliant ability to recognize the trite and the expected and to challenge them with an aggressive, almost insecure fervor… as well as, perhaps, my broad shoulders and alluring musk.
    I graduated from Kutztown University in 2012, majoring in Communication Design with a dual concentration in Graphic Design and Interactive Design. When I'm not creating inspiring, soul-cleansing, provocative works of pure, unadulterated mental stimulation, I'm expanding my craft. Whenever possible, I take my own photography, create my own illustrations, and design my own patterns, textures, buttons, and icons. I've even gone so far as to design my own fonts in the effort to truly create a project from scratch.
    If you have any questions, comments, jobs, or mystic warnings from my future, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.