Art: Wilson's FZD Portfolio - Review and Crits welcome

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Wilson's FZD Portfolio - Review and Crits welcome

www.artofwilson.blogspot.com

just as not to repeat a post on WIP section I made earlier but should've posted this here in the first place, apologies to the moderators.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=222623

thanks,

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I can tell you are learning quite a bit over there. I have been watching the tutorials on the FZD website for a bit.

Well overall I think you need work on your figures. They are stiff. Loosen them up a bit. Instead of having everyone sitting straight up, have them slump or twisting. The concept is talked about in this art tutorial. Look at what he means about "swooshyness". You also might benefit from studying the term "gesture".

Also, I'm seeing some made up depictions of abs. I would study the anatomy of the chest more.

I really like the way you have captured elements in the foreground versus background and I am seeing some fun concepts. Good work.

Thanks
    Hi Lithriel,

Thanks for taking time to view my portfolio. Appreciate the link you recommended (actually your the second person that suggested that link) I'll try to do more gestural work on my figures.

All the best

Thanks
    Super cool stuff! You really know how to explain a complex design without making it look like stiff mechanics. They really have a gruffy and used feel about them that doesn't smudge the design and shape of things. But I think you whent lazy on the rotorblades on the Hop Copter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Your color theory and presentation is pretty strong. The hop chopper has some design issues, but I'm sure FZ can set you straight. If he can't nobody can.

I subscribe to FZD on Youtube. Characters are his only problem. Good figure drawing classes are actually pretty easy to find. But good classes on design and composition geared towards entertainment is extremely rare. FZ is certainly amongst the best in that department and it's rubbing off on you quite well. I'd recommend you show off your environment designs. Those appear to be your strongest set of skills. You can get some more figure drawing under your belt later. For right now get all you can from this specialized school.

While I was watching this video I realized the costumes were wearing the characters. But that's why he gets paid the big bucks and I'm lucky to get paid a compliment.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; July 9th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 3