Thanks

house music . magic . and fellow artists

excuse the three posts in one
    -

im suprised so little people listen to house music here. real uplifting and nice if you can feel it and get in the groooove. with its soulful and lovely vibess, i find it to be ohh so inspiring - especially wen drawing --- highly recommend giving it a try

need headphones or real good speakers. respect the buildups... appreciate the drops... and listen from beginning to end

http://soundcloud.com/guy-j/guy-j-audio-elements-09-03

---

im real curious to kno if anyone here has any interest in or knows where i can find some info (youtube or audio books) on and about magic. not card tricks or making dancers on stage dissapear, but "real" magic, (if there is such a thing). see i draw 7 plus hours a day and while drawing i listen to music and lots n lots of audiobooks to keep from getting bored. just recently ive heard some real intriguing discussions on this magic. stuff like numerology, symbology, occult, law of attraction, remote viewing, time travel, astral projection, witchcraft, etc etc.. if anyones got some sources to share id be of much gratitude -_-

---

been visiting conceptart daily for maybe more then a year now and would really like to share some of my work and start a sketchbook. the thing is im real self conscious about my work and dont take critisism too well. truth is i cant stand it wen someone critiques my work, and at times i can tend to get a bit hostile. im real competetiv in nature, especialy wen it comes to art. I cant stand it wen another artist critiques my work or even worse is better than me. ima be starting art school real soon and would really like to kno how the rest of you guys deal or cope with other artists. the reason i havnt got around to sharing more of my drawings is that i kno its not goin to be the best work here. it's said, "you draw with your mind not your hands," thus if someone draws better, their mind is better. this doesnt sit well with me and hate to feel inferior. though its great for motivation it can get reallllll reallll stressful at times. id really like to know how the rest of you guys handle your fellow students and artists.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kunfyoozdish View Post
    the thing is im real self conscious about my work and dont take critisism too well. truth is i cant stand it wen someone critiques my work, and at times i can tend to get a bit hostile. im real competetiv in nature, especialy wen it comes to art.
    Get over it - quick.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When you see someone better then you, act selfish... this means, make friends with them and see what you can learn from them... then you'll be even better.

When someone offers you valuable critique, stuff your feelings and listen to it, ask informative questions - the more you learn, the better you'll get. Then go home and ounch out a pillow if you need to vent your feelings.

If someone is just making idiotic negative remarks, and think they are offering critique, do your best to ignore them and move on. ... then puch out a pillow at home or do whatever you like to do to vent your feelings.

One thing about being an artist is that you may encounter a lot of idiots who may think they are offering constructive critique by derrogatory exclamations, like "I don't like it" and such. On a scale of 1-10, those have fairly low value. They may have some value if you are making a comissioned pieces, or have a gallery showing, and majority of the people or clients don't like something... then you have to examine why. Occasional ijit with an attitude, do your best to ignore them.

Also, rally good constructive critique by someone thakes a fair amount of their time and effort, and it can be tough to come by.

If you can, before reacting to commentary, ask yourself, am I being objective.... Can I learn somethign from this, even if I feel affronted. Can I take a deep breath and let it go? Are there any questions I can ask them, about elaborating their commentary or asking about understanding their point of view?

ALWAYS be on a lookout to learn something new.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post

When someone offers you valuable critique, stuff your feelings and listen to it, ask informative questions - the more you learn, the better you'll get. Then go home and ounch out a pillow if you need to vent your feelings.

If someone is just making idiotic negative remarks, and think they are offering critique, do your best to ignore them and move on. ... then puch out a pillow at home or do whatever you like to do to vent your feelings.
    did it take u a while to distinguish the valuable crit from negativ remarks.

& even now doesn't it ever get to u guys? critique online is one thing, how do you guys respond to the idiotic remarks in real life? is it always with courtesy or is ther times where you don't wait till home to vent, if you take my meaning

Thanks
    That thick skin comes with experience for a lot of folks. But in the end you gotta create for yourself first and foremost.... if you do it for yourself but open minded for improvement, then hey - good tips will be found, and offensive tips obviously won't matter a ton. If you bond with your art so much that you get really angry at advice, then you likely are missing valuable chances in a piece for improvement... you close your brain off to new directions if you fall in love with something in it. Gotta be willing to sacrifice something in the picture, sometimes. The greater good of the piece may depend on it some days.

That said, I've gotten angry over 5 or so critiques over the last few years. And what really sucks is that those particular artists had been correct each time (individual results may vary!). I got over it, and today am far better for going back to those critiques later. Each time this happens, I find myself considerably more open minded.

Share a sketchbook! If it becomes too much - stop posting in it. Though I would hope it won't come to that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmalidore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmalidore View Post
    That thick skin comes with experience for a lot of folks.
    I think this is really what it boils down to. You just have to open yourself up to it and remember that you can't control what others say and that most people are not trying to tear you down.

and as to your question

& even now doesn't it ever get to u guys? critique online is one thing, how do you guys respond to the idiotic remarks in real life? is it always with courtesy or is ther times where you don't wait till home to vent, if you take my meaning
    I don't do art for living or for school but I do get critique on my research and report stuff. I work hard on those and yeah, it can be tough when someone gives me flack about something. But I rarely react to negative critique in person and if I do it's usually with humour. Again, I don't think most people are trying to be mean when they make "idiotic remarks". They can't read your mind, they don't know what upsets you. And the whole "common sense" arguments don't always add up because some people are simply socialized differently.

Again, it comes down to experience, you'll eventually learn how to distinguish the real jerks from the accidental ones.
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wooden mango For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    First, I would recommend using correct grammar and spelling. It has to do with respect, maturity and a professional attitude, and people will respond in same.

Maybe this thread on critique will help some: Getting the Most Out of Critique

But yeah, like Black Spot said...just gotta get over it.

As far as the magic thing goes...I'm sure there's loads of resources on the internet. You can also try used and "new age" bookstores.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    did it take u a while to distinguish the valuable crit from negativ remarks.

Idiotic remarks... just smile and walk away. No matter how irritating they can be, just think of this, if you don't respod, you're the one that gets the upper hand. Those trying to rile you up and upset you will be irked that they didn't succeed. Yes, it takes a little bit of practice not to give in to wanting to tell them off, and get into it with them. Keep telling yourself, you want to show you are stronger then *them*, and that means, not responding. Thinking that may help you a bit (and it is true, it takes a lot more strength to walk away).... so use gicing yourself a pat on the back to help you stay stronger and walk away.

...and if you slip up and do get intop it on occasion, you know, as much as we would like to be perfect, it;'s not human to be perfect all the time. Shit happens, life goes on, keep trying, and doing better next time.

How to tell stupid remarks vs. critique.... of course, some are really obvious... other are a bit harder to tell. Some people can opffer good advice, but in such a poor down their nose manner that it makes you cringe.

If it's an art teacher, you end up having to kind of suck it up and take it, because you need to finish the class and get the grade, and you can still learn stuff.

If it's a peer or some sort of a friend etc... you may decide there's too much crap to shovel to uncover the gem under the crap, and not want to bother.

When I was much younger, I would often get confused when people seemed to use nice words and seemingly want to help, but after they are done explaining stuff, I'd still feel like crap... Reading this little book was a good eye opener: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071410228
    I think there's stuff that you can learn from it that will help you tell the finer points of good critique, vs. not so good critiquem and some pointers on how to handle it Lot of just regular RL stuff in there translates into critique and even work stuff later on

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    im real curious to kno if anyone here has any interest in or knows where i can find some info (youtube or audio books) on and about magic. not card tricks or making dancers on stage dissapear, but "real" magic, (if there is such a thing). see i draw 7 plus hours a day and while drawing i listen to music and lots n lots of audiobooks to keep from getting bored. just recently ive heard some real intriguing discussions on this magic. stuff like numerology, symbology, occult, law of attraction, remote viewing, time travel, astral projection, witchcraft, etc etc.. if anyones got some sources to share id be of much gratitude -_-
    Some people here might be able to help:

http://witchvox.org/

been visiting conceptart daily for maybe more then a year now and would really like to share some of my work and start a sketchbook. the thing is im real self conscious about my work and dont take critisism too well. truth is i cant stand it wen someone critiques my work, and at times i can tend to get a bit hostile. im real competetiv in nature, especialy wen it comes to art. I cant stand it wen another artist critiques my work or even worse is better than me. ima be starting art school real soon and would really like to kno how the rest of you guys deal or cope with other artists.
    You want to get into art school, you'd better grow a very thick skin very fast. And I agree JeffX99: spelling and grammar are important, especially in one's first language.

I understand the fragile ego thing very well when it comes to art. I have no real talent for it, and I only started drawing as an adult, with the result that on any message board, my work is invariably among the very worst posted. Just about everybody else who can draw at all, can draw better than I can. I am also a spectacularly slow learner, and took literally twenty years to learn what most other people learn in six months.

So yeah, being a member of this board is not exactly boosting my self-confidence. But I figured that if I wanted to learn, perhaps I should just go ahead and learn what I can anyway. My ego can go fuck itself.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    So yeah, being a member of this board is not exactly boosting my self-confidence. But I figured that if I wanted to learn, perhaps I should just go ahead and learn what I can anyway. My ego can go fuck itself.
    Hey Brian - just checked your SB - you're on the right track man - the Egyptian Geese were really well observed. Since I'm now in a heated race with Noah Bradley, I would recommend "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman - great book that should really help you develop some good fundamentals.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Hey Brian - just checked your SB - you're on the right track man - the Egyptian Geese were really well observed.
    Now see, that is GOOD for my fragile ego. ;-)

Since I'm now in a heated race with Noah Bradley, I would recommend "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman - great book that should really help you develop some good fundamentals.
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks
    First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses, and must admit i am a bit surprised by everyone's willingness to help.

--

I've pretty much been alone in my room for the past 6-8 months, isolating myself and just drawing all day. I quit work, turned off my phone, and essentially put an end to any relationships. The only people who have seen my work are family members, real close friends and my one teacher/mentor.

After reading, rereading, and again reading all of the replies, i come to the conclusion that its just going to be a matter of time an experience (something I have very little of at the moment).

--

There is one more thing that i would love to get some feedback on. For some reason or another, when someone's looking at a drawing of mine for example, i find myself pointing out all the negatives, mistakes, and reasons why that drawing isn't good enough, almost before they get a chance to say anything at all.

Does this ever happen to any of you guys???

and again thanks to everyone

Thanks
    I've pretty much been alone in my room for the past 6-8 months, isolating myself and just drawing all day. I quit work, turned off my phone, and essentially put an end to any relationships. The only people who have seen my work are family members, real close friends and my one teacher/mentor.

After reading, rereading, and again reading all of the replies, i come to the conclusion that its just going to be a matter of time an experience (something I have very little of at the moment).
    I wish I had the luxury of doing that. ;-)
    But yes, practice makes perfect. I found this bloke's blog a source inspiration:

http://jmahorney.blogspot.com/

He posted all his paintings, from the very first one, and his progression shows very vividly that at least when it comes to impressionism, practice is perhaps more fundamental than anything else. I suspect the same is true of any other genre of art, although illustration and drawing figures from imagination and so on will likely require far more.

There is one more thing that i would love to get some feedback on. For some reason or another, when someone's looking at a drawing of mine for example, i find myself pointing out all the negatives, mistakes, and reasons why that drawing isn't good enough, almost before they get a chance to say anything at all.
    All the time. I tend to be extremely negative about my own work. I'm not sure it is necessarily a bad thing. I have seen what happens to the work of artists who are not self-critical, namely nothing much at all: they never make any progress.

As long as one learns to differentiate between tearing your art apart and tearing yourself apart. One is a good thing. The other is not. It is also useful to identify things about a drawing that DID work out satisfactorily. One should not only learn what not to do, but also what to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    For some reason or another, when someone's looking at a drawing of mine for example, i find myself pointing out all the negatives, mistakes, and reasons why that drawing isn't good enough, almost before they get a chance to say anything at all.
    If you are able to point out all your mistakes verbally, why don't you fix them?
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I wish I had the luxury of doing that. ;-)
    yea its been like a dream come true, beats my 9 to 5

If you are able to point out all your mistakes verbally, why don't you fix them?
    The aim is to do the next one better no?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Yeah, I always point out the stuff I don't like or that went wrong in my pictures, I think it's just that I don't want to forget my mistakes so I don't make them again, and they're usually in the forefront of my mind when I'm talking to people about my work. Someone did comment that I do it too much and they couldn't see anything wrong with the picture until i pointed it out! doh! Maybe making notes on the things that need work would be better, I might try and do some sort of lesson plan.

On the magical side of things the only 'real' magic stories I found were these great books by Carlos Castaneda, I think it's his first book is about a man that seeks out a great sorcorer (or however you spell it) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Castaneda.

You've probably heard of him, but there's also Paulo Coelho who writes fiction about magic and the soul, his book 'The Alchemist' is one of the best books I've read.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    The aim is to do the next one better no?
    Well, to quote here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    never be satisfied. if there is something in your piece that you dont like...FIX IT. ..even if it is two months later.

be your own critic. if you know that peeps online will say to fix the hands or to increase the value range then beat them to the punch and fix the stuff before they can even give you a crit. however, if it is on purpose...what you have done...then do what you need to do to get done what you intend.

if you know they will complain about anatomy because you need to study more anatomy then find out the problems in the books or in photos or in front of a mirror and fix the stuff. if you know your anatomy and you distort on purpose..then that is your choice.

in other words...fix the stuff to your own intent. do not be satisfied with almost good. that satisfaction is your worst enemy. if it doesnt look right then you need to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to make it right to you. if that means repainting for three days...do so. if that means getting reference...do so. if that means drawing studies...do so. do what it takes....
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    Yeah, I always point out the stuff I don't like or that went wrong in my pictures, I think it's just that I don't want to forget my mistakes so I don't make them again, and they're usually in the forefront of my mind when I'm talking to people about my work. Someone did comment that I do it too much and they couldn't see anything wrong with the picture until i pointed it out! doh! Maybe making notes on the things that need work would be better, I might try and do some sort of lesson plan.
    That makes 3 of us so far -__-

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    On the magical side of things the only 'real' magic stories I found were these great books by Carlos Castaneda, I think it's his first book is about a man that seeks out a great sorcorer (or however you spell it) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Castaneda.

You've probably heard of him, but there's also Paulo Coelho who writes fiction about magic and the soul, his book 'The Alchemist' is one of the best books I've read.

I'll check him out for sure, never really heard of this Castaneda, but i have read "the Alchemist" and it is one of the best books i've read as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    I cannot speak for Kunfyoozdish, but what usually happens to me is that I only notice mistakes when the drawing is more or less done, and then it is usually not just one thing that I can fix. If it is, I fix it. But usually there is just a general wrongness to the entire picture; one little error of judgement of a proportion perpetuated itself through the entire picture, and the only way to fix it is to erase the entire picture and do it over. I have tried doing that as well, but it has thus far never worked: I simply make the same mistake again, or make a whole new set of mistakes, and so on until the paper falls apart.

Another thing that happens is that I can see something is wrong but I can't work out what it is. This is usually also because there are lots of little things wrong. Sometimes I am just at a complete loss; this happens especially with portraits, where one has to see and draw very subtle things. It happens particularly with the mouth: I can see the thing is wrong but I can't work out what it is that is wrong. Which is perhaps why John Singer Sargent defined a portrait as "a picture in which there is something wrong with the mouth." ;-)

I have on occasion redrawn the same portrait, over and over, ten times in a row if necessary, and then I eventually ended up with something resembling the sitter, though perfection is something I have yet to even approximate.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts

and again thanks to everyone
    Yes, this is normal. It's a thing that artists do when they're worried, insecure or frustrated (or all three). But it's a terrible habit and you need to get rid of it. It may take some willpower to smile and keep your mouth shut but SMILE AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Otherwise you just make yourself look like you're fishing for compliments or are wasting the time of the person who's looking at your work. Don't do it.

(It's okay to point out your mistakes if you're trying to get some C&C from other artists and you've tried to fix things already and don't know how. But that's about the only situation in which pointing out your own mistakes is okay.)
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

31. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 706 Posts
    I only paint to house music (almost ). Period. There is not better music in this universe. Dancing house is so much fun too, been doing it for 3 years.

About magic, there's tons of resources out there about hermetics, mysticism and whatnot. Send out the desire to find these things and the universe will grant you the them. Search torrent sites for books for a starter, check forums like http://www.realmsofmagick.com/forum/ they cover it all..

As for not being able to take critique, thats your ego pulling you around. I suggest you learn to cope with it if you want to become a professional.

cheers

33. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DefiledVisions View Post
    I only paint to house music (almost ). Period. There is not better music in this universe. Dancing house is so much fun too, been doing it for 3 years.
    A-MEN to that! It's a thing you know.. you got to really feel it, to appreciate and enjoy it.

thanks for the link btw
    Last edited by kunfyoozdish; June 17th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.