Thread: Current Portfolio up - Critiques Welcome

Smile Current Portfolio up - Critiques Welcome

Hi guys, just graduated after a tough year at FZD, I think I got some idea on digital painting and production drawing like props, etc, but still rough around the edges but I'm quite happy with the improvement. I could never do anything but just simple sketches before, school and having daily deadlines pushed.

old work before school :

Anyway I'd just like to share and get some critiques as I'm currently doing new stuff for my portfolio, like what I could improve on and what subject matter might make a better portfolio now that I some free time on my hand while looking for work.

Thanks, will try to join the discussion in the boards as much as I could

All the Best,
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Northern California
    Thanked 4,907 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Solid work - nothing to critique really - I like the "Ryders" series the most. OK, if I had to make one comment...I would like to see something that really stood out - over the top in some fashion. It was all good work, but somewhat expected if you know what I mean? Kick out the jams! As they say...
    What would Caravaggio do?

Plein Air
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring

@Jeffx99 - Thanks for having a look at my portfolio. I couldn't agree with you more. Trying to do new pieces right now since most companies that went during our gallery show wanted to see more variety and not just "homework-done-well".

Will post more.

Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
Nice stuff Wilson,

gonna try to be honest with you, so here goes,
in my opinion you should draw more, everything is really stiff, and I don't really see much understanding of planes/form, but the silhouettes do most of the work for you. I also don't see much finished stuff, everything is left after the piece has been constructed, but you're still missing the polish. Don't be afraid to keep a folder of your .psd's available, and to open up old paintings and refine them once in a while! You can learn a lot from getting back 'into old thoughts' as well. Your concept/art is 'dull', it has nothing that stands out, especially when you see them all at once, there is almost no information to gain from viewing them in full-size from the thumbnails. I like the red though, but that is almost the only thing generating attention. As for technical stuff such as perspective, composition and anatomy, I think they are there, they just need to be focused more on. You are really good at not getting lost in the details, which is a big plus, just take one more step back after you got your idea and make sure your fundamentals are all there.
As for your production drawings = GREAT. Do more of those!

Keep it up, and make sure to keep your foundations sharp!

San Francisco
    Wow.. big ass improvement man, huge difference of the before and after FZD
    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook