Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow! Amazing stuff in here, Matt. You mentioned in my SB how you have trouble with volume and balance, but honestly, I don't see it. Maybe it's because most of the things in here are photo studies, but I think you're doing amazingly well. The only piece of advice I would offer is in a few cases to push your lowest values a bit further. I wish I had your ability when it comes to digital color, though. Seriously good stuff.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Awesome, man. That screencap's golden. Really nice work with the shapes and edges.

And I couldn't agree more on what you said about pushing those studies. It's soo important, as is applying the lessons you learn into your imagination stuff.
    Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    I like those suicide girls, especially the pastel one. On the fear and loathing piece I was going to comment that I thought it was remarkable that you managed to get a good likeness with very little shapes http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1308980714 which I still think. Seems hard to get a good likeness in such a shot because some important areas are hidden behind sunglasses/caps.

Somehow I think you lost just a little of the real Johnny Depp look in the later versions, I personally prefer the first version you showed because of the rough shapes in the face. Maybe it'd be good for you to experiment with leaving some rough areas in your work, could help create focal points or make your work more interesting to look at. Or more importantly, to keep looking at. Take a look at Dave Palumbo's "Quickies" for example. http://postcardnudes.blogspot.com/ He leaves some very rough brushstrokes to make them very interesting to look at.

Hope that helps,
    Teun

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teundeboer For This Useful Post:

MBK

Thanks
    I love your brush work dude! Awesome job on those photostudies, I especially loved the fear and loathing one!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Nice value study... really have to do some of those too. I'm liking all your stuff here.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Wow! Especially love the suicide girls and so much in post #2...but there's much to love here!

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Thanks
    Great work! Awesome studies.

Thanks
    I might try some photo/colour studies - I've never used a tablet before (borrowing one) so it'll be interesting to see what I can do with it.

Keep up the good studies esp with the values.

Thanks
    Great study, MBK. I like the textures you used for the skin.

Also, just watched your videos...you make it look so easy. I like the process of Venom...I gotta remember to flip my paintings more often.
    My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    James Gerard - Thanks for stopping by

NickyBeats - Appreciate it man, doin' what I can.

Galeo - Thanks dude, I hear you on the values, I always seem to keep everything around the midtones by default for some reason... still working on pushing them farther. As far as the volume/balance thing goes, you're not seeing that problem cause these are mostly studies, my stuff from imagination is nowhere near as developed >_< I'll be posting more of that soon.

ismo - Thanks Honestly though, one of the most frustrating things for me at the moment is the disconnect that seems to exist in my mind between the studies and being able to bring that over into the imagination stuff. It's like my mind goes blank when I try to draw from imagination lately... so incredibly frustrating. I push the pencil around for a while, get frustrated, then end up doing a study. I feel like a human photocopier lately to be honest. Which sucks. Ah well, just gotta keep drawing.

Teundeboer - Thanks for stopping by man. It was good to hear your perspective on that study, and I gotta say, often I feel like i'm on the edge of overworking a piece and have a hard time recognizing that point. Sometimes I feel like I'm happy with the energy a piece has early on in the process but another part of my mind is telling me its too soon to call it done, that I should be pushing it farther. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I feel like i'm just neutering it. Such a fine line. Good to hear though! I'll definitely be trying to keep that in mind in the future.

Kurtzund - Thanks! "Hell if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right." - Raoul Duke

p sage - Appreciate it man! You should definitely try a few out. Super helpful.

Jephyr X - Thanks man!

Jonathan C - Cheers

Steveland - They're fun man. Takes a little getting used to at first but once you adapt to the disconnect between where your hand is drawing and where the cursor is moving its addictive as hell!

bish0p2004 - Thanks man! That's only because its time-lapsed. You don't see the moments where the cursor isn't moving and i'm scratching my head trying to figure out whats not working. lol Trust me, I struggle my way through 'em a bit. But yeah, definitely flip the canvas! It'll save your ass along the way.

Page 2!

Sweet.

Just a couple of pencil studies and a few non-ref attempts this update. Nothing too crazy. I realized that i've neglected drawing hands for a long damn time. So I tried to draw my hands. lol Felt pretty clumsy, so I'm gonna keep doing those till they look halfway decent.

I apologize in advance for the quality, the scanner images aren't exactly easy on the eyes...

Thanks again for taking the time to check out my stuff!
    Last edited by MBK; July 25th, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Just wanted to share this stop-motion animation I made a while back,
    otherwise it'll just sit around on my hard drive collecting dust...

Was fun as hell to make, lol I shot it with a shitty handheld digital camera. Ended up taking over 4,600 shots. The set is made out of wire, Papier-mâché, joint compound, fiberglass, and wood. And the puppet was made from wire, wood, and sculpey. Unfortunately the puppet broke in the middle of the project and I had to change around the scenes and re-edit the story in order to make the class deadline. So the final animation is about 85% of the original storyboard >_<

lol His back broke in two places and his head fell off from all the bending. Which is about as frustrating as it gets when you're in the middle of a 900 frame shoot...

Live and learn.

One of these days i'm gonna get back to making these,
    i've got a bunch of storyboards just chilling in the sketchbook >_<

Animation was always my first love, stop-motion in particular.

Anyways here it is:

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by MBK; February 24th, 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    !!! Great studies going on in here. I think we're kind of on the same page. Awesome stop animation btw, hopefully you'll get to pick it back up one day. Keep truckin'.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Interesting animation clip you did there. Liked your Raphael study... I would give you more feedback but my brain is melting down. Next time.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    I'm fascinated by the first image in the second post. It's almost at the level of photorealism.

Your pencil studies are also amazing.

And Hunter? Wow.

I wish I had some valid crit, but all I can do is gush.

Thanks
    CKLamb - Thanks for dropping in man. Your work is sick! In the best possible way.
    As soon as my living situation changes and I have the space to build a set i'm diving right back into stop-motion.
    That shit is so satisfying!

p sage - Thanks man!

ThatGuyYouMetOnce - You're too kind
    I had a lot of fun painting that portrait. I actually spent longer on it than I did on any of em.
    Thanks for the kind words!

So in response to the realization that I have been focusing entirely too much on photo studies, I started a still life today...

My god.

These are exponentially more difficult than drawing from a photo! lol
    I feel like i've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out all the subtle colors during this exercise.
    I'm still so far away from where I feel like this thing needs to be, and it's been a constant struggle not to just say fuck it and give up.
    But i've done that sooo many times in the past that i'm sick and tired of abandoning something because it isn't working out.
    Trying to learn from my mistakes and push through that frustration barrier.

This is the second still life i've ever attempted digitally, the last one being last year lol ...and I gave up on that one after 2 hours.

Anyhow here it is so far. Not finished yet. Gotta see how far I can get. It's already been an incredibly beneficial study to this point.
    Has put me face to face with the gaps in my knowledge and shown me that I need to suck it up and start studying from life much more.
    That and it's waaaaaaay outta my comfort zone... which is great!

Feels like i'm actually learning something.

I'm gonna go pass out, and when I regain consciousness, i'm gonna finish this damn thing.

Thanks again for taking the time to look. I truly appreciate it.

Till next time.
    Last edited by MBK; July 7th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast