Applications and Scholarships for SCAD
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Applications and Scholarships for SCAD

I'm a rising high school senior thinking of applying to SCAD. So far I've taken the SAT once and plan to take it again in fall, but I haven't received my scores back yet (not until the 23rd). I read on SCAD's site that you can earn an artistic merit and an academic merit if you meet certain credentials. I currently have a weighted GPA at around 3.9-4.0 and I am wondering how I should start applying for applications and scholarships. I signed up to take advanced art portfolio at my school but because of scheduling changes, every class at my school will run on an A/B schedule, meaning that no seniors can graduate early and I cannot finish the class until June of next year. For this reason I plan on starting my art portfolio this summer and submitting it on portfolio day for an artistic merit. I have a few questions regarding both academic merits and artistic merits.
    1. Is an art portfolio all you need to submit in applying for an artistic merit?

2. What would I have to complete in order to apply for an academic merit?

3. Should I begin applying for different art schools this summer or during my senior year?

4. SCAD's website was kind of vague on the requirements for an academic merit. If anyone here is currently in SCAD on either an academic merit, artistic merit, or both types of scholarships, what are the full requirements you're supposed to complete?

5. Where should I start with my college applications (not scholarships) this summer?

Sorry if the questions are kind of redundant. I don't know a lot of people around me who plan on going to an art college and both my parents went to colleges out of the US so I don't have much knowledge on applying for different scholarships and applications over here. I plan on majoring in either sequential art or illustration and minoring in interactive design and game development. I also have interests in MCAD and SVA so if anyone has information about these 2 colleges, I would definitely be willing to hear you out. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I'm actually attending SCAD next year! Heh. I should be able to answer these questions.

1) Artistic merit is solely portfolio based. So make sure you kick ass in your basics.

2) Academic merit is based on literally the numbers (SATs, ACT, GPA, etc.) You get high enough, they'll give you a pretty high amount of money for it. Basically, take the SATs (and/or ACT) and do extremely well in junior year.

3. This question is more or less, a personal preference. I say throughout senior year because you'll be improving your art (hopefully), so maybe, you might end up having amazing pieces that you made in late fall or winter. SCAD is special that it's rolling admission, so no deadlines apply. But schools like RISD and such will have early and regular admission. So plan wisely. It's also smart to start your paperwork in the summer. (Essays, statement of purposes, or whatever additional thing your special art school demands)

4. See my answer for 2. I got a combined scholarship of 16k, kind of mad cause I thought my portfolio was strong. You could always appeal, but I feel like I'm not going to get a higher amount. Heh. Artistic scholarship came from a portfolio piece of 11 of my best, and academic came from (what I assume) a 3.9 GPA, 2100 (??? I don't remember my SAT score...), and quite possibly 720s on Chem and Math SAT II. Dunno if my ACT accounted for anything heh.

5. I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Because if it's just applying somewhere, then look at the individual's schools deadlines. If there are schools that have early, then you might want to attack them first. (But if one of them is early decision, then you can only apply there for early). Otherwise, you should definitely get your apps sorted for some schools, and just make sure to mail them before the deadline comes in. As a graduating senior from a really intense high school, pacing yourself with the college work is insanely important. From personal experience, just make sure you pace yourself out with the work.

And I don't know too much about MCAD or SVA. I have friends who applied to MCAD, but they were sculpture majors, so I'm not sure if it applies to your case. SVA, I heard, has pretty good sequential arts classes.

Otherwise, if you're interested in interactive game design, you might also want to look up some colleges in California. Importantly, whichever college feels like home to you, you should stick with.

Hope that helps!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hekatoncheir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by v-lkry View Post
    Hey! I'm actually attending SCAD next year! Heh. I should be able to answer these questions.

1) Artistic merit is solely portfolio based. So make sure you kick ass in your basics.

2) Academic merit is based on literally the numbers (SATs, ACT, GPA, etc.) You get high enough, they'll give you a pretty high amount of money for it. Basically, take the SATs (and/or ACT) and do extremely well in junior year.

3. This question is more or less, a personal preference. I say throughout senior year because you'll be improving your art (hopefully), so maybe, you might end up having amazing pieces that you made in late fall or winter. SCAD is special that it's rolling admission, so no deadlines apply. But schools like RISD and such will have early and regular admission. So plan wisely. It's also smart to start your paperwork in the summer. (Essays, statement of purposes, or whatever additional thing your special art school demands)

4. See my answer for 2. I got a combined scholarship of 16k, kind of mad cause I thought my portfolio was strong. You could always appeal, but I feel like I'm not going to get a higher amount. Heh. Artistic scholarship came from a portfolio piece of 11 of my best, and academic came from (what I assume) a 3.9 GPA, 2100 (??? I don't remember my SAT score...), and quite possibly 720s on Chem and Math SAT II. Dunno if my ACT accounted for anything heh.

5. I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Because if it's just applying somewhere, then look at the individual's schools deadlines. If there are schools that have early, then you might want to attack them first. (But if one of them is early decision, then you can only apply there for early). Otherwise, you should definitely get your apps sorted for some schools, and just make sure to mail them before the deadline comes in. As a graduating senior from a really intense high school, pacing yourself with the college work is insanely important. From personal experience, just make sure you pace yourself out with the work.

And I don't know too much about MCAD or SVA. I have friends who applied to MCAD, but they were sculpture majors, so I'm not sure if it applies to your case. SVA, I heard, has pretty good sequential arts classes.

Otherwise, if you're interested in interactive game design, you might also want to look up some colleges in California. Importantly, whichever college feels like home to you, you should stick with.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you very much! I will make sure to bookmark this. You've been a great help :-)

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing with work."
    - Emily Zola

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Emily,

Not sure if you're still looking for extra help or information regarding SCAD. I am a full ride MFA Seqa student in SCAD. I just got bridge from SCAD's BFA program and have been here for about a year. Regarding the scholarship, you should actually call SCAD to get additional information and the requirements are listed on the website quite clearly. What I am about to tell you, however, is just a recommendation and PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE ME.

Here's what you need to know about SCAD's scholarship.
    1) Start applying early, early means as much as 6 months because the funding is limited.
    2) Work on your portfolio, it is better to have traditional pieces of work to show your dedication to art if you're applying to a BFA program. Even if you're applying for illustration and have a great style for it, if you can't proof your foundations in your portfolio with those personal illustrations I suggest you submit a few GOOD LIFE DRAWING or OBSERVATIONAL STUDIES in TRADITIONAL MEDIUM. For the Masters program you really need to show dedicated pieces into the field you're going.
    3) The portfolio scholarships CANNOT be appealed. Once you're granted a specific amount, it sticks with you. However, every year SCAD has this thing call "Current Scholarships" which gives additional scholarships on top of what you have. You'll have to apply for that. Those amounts vary from $2 grand to $18 grand per year.
    4) Your recommendation letters speaks a lot for you. So does your resume. If you have been a community volunteer it speaks a lot for you.
    5) The merit and artistic scholarships ain't the only scholarships offer on entry. There is an additional one which is called Opportunity Scholarship. It is only offered to students who are in need of financial help.
    6) You can always find out more information by going to SCAD's quarterly SCAD DAY program which gives a tour of the school.
    7) You can also write in to SCAD and attend one of SCAD's classes with a student ambassador and experience for yourself what it feels to be a SCAD student.
    8) Look at the great portfolios of concept art's artists to have an idea of what to prepare. This forum is an extremely great website.

Lastly, for everyone's information, I am an international student and am offered all 3 category, Merit, Artistic and Opportunity scholarship. I was then further award a prestigious scholarship in the Current Scholarship section in March this year and right now, am offered a full ride into SCAD's Masters program. SCAD is a school that gives opportunity to individuals who are really committed to their field regardless or race, language or religion. You just have to proof to the school that you're really committed to your studies and they'll help you.

I hope this helps. Good Luck =)

Members who have read this thread: 2