Thanks

When can one concider onself as a professional?

I have lately really been pondering on a certain question. When can you considerer yourself as a professional? I know I am not there yet, for I still have much to learn, but I wonder if there ever will come a time where I finally will consider myself as a professional, because there is always something to learn, and there always will be. So is there a "general rule" for when one can call yourself a professional?
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would simply say, when you are making a living off of your art/the majority of your income is from your art, you can call yourself a professional artist. That doesn't tell you anything about your skill level, of course - but why would a title ever do that?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    That's the deal right there ^^^.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, seems logical really. I guess I just find it weird to put on a status "professional for (x) years" for me still, but I am well aware of the fact that I am still not there, so perhaps that is part of the reason. Just don't know if I ever will really feel like a professional, just because of the fact that there will always been something new to learn.
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Most professionals engage in what's called "Continued Eduction" for that very reason, there really *is* something new to learn all the time.
    Never stop learning!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Exactly that is how I feel! Thank you!

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive_minD View Post
    Thank you, seems logical really. I guess I just find it weird to put on a status "professional for (x) years" for me still, but I am well aware of the fact that I am still not there, so perhaps that is part of the reason. Just don't know if I ever will really feel like a professional, just because of the fact that there will always been something new to learn.
    You're confusing being professional with being a Master. Being a professional doesn't mean you know everything (or even anything), it just means that you are able to make a living at what you do. This usually implies good skills and good conduct. It doesn't imply mastery of the discipline.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some occupations have governing bodies, sanctioned by the government, that deem their practitioners to be professional when they have met a certain number of criteria and have joined their organization. In other cases, your accoutant may put "artist" in the box labelled "Occupation" on your tax return.

I think we worry too much about whether we are professional or not. My art instructor is a graduate from art college, paints and sells his paintings, and teaches art. His wife works in another field and between her salary and the money he makes from his art, they make a living. His whole life is art. I, on the other hand, am retired from a previous career that has provided me with a comfortable retirement income. I paint and sell my paintings (not for as much as my instructor!). My whole life is art. Between my retirement income and what I make from my art, I make a living. Who is the professional artist? Both of us? Neither of us?

Unless there is a governing body to decree professional status, (and I would never, in my wildest dreams, advocate for such a body) the question of when do we become a professional will never be definitively answered.

One thing I know for sure - professionals never stop learning. Only amateurs stop learning.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    When you stop worrying about if you are or are not a professional.

Bill'sStudio

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post: