Thanks

I need some software, can you help?

I finish university in three weeks and am currently putting my portfolio together, so I have been looking for jobs.

The thing is I want to be a junior 2D concept artist but nearly every company wants someone who is familuar with either MAYA or 3DS MaX. I can't afford to pay £6ooo for these programmes!!

I am really keen to get them somehow though as I really need to get a job and want to learn some 3D skills as I know they will benifit me a great deal.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could overcome this problem at all?

I recently tried downloading a free MAYA tutorial software programme from a company called ALIAS but when it uploaded it wouldn't open properly.

Is there any other places you can purchase really affordiable software for 3D graphics in London, or download them free of charge?

(I have MAC OS 10.2 JAGUAR on a G3 machine)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    at least in the forseeable future, you need a Windows system to run either MAYA or 3DsMax or SoftImage. SoftImage has Linux version, MAYA may have also.

There're are Mac versions of Lightwave by Newtek and Cinema4D by Maxon.

All those programs have student pricing that are pretty affordable, somewhere between 400~800 USD. I don't know if it works the same in EU, but may be something worth looking into.

good luck.

Thanks

On 3d packages and concept art...

If you really want to be a concept artist you wont need to know Maya or Max or Soft. Some games companies find it beneficial if a concept artist has 3d experience purely because those with 3d understanding generally make better concept artists FOR 3d art. Understanding game limitations means your concept art is appropriate for the job.

I would say though, if your work is of a high enough quality and your imagination knows no bounds then you'll get a job doing concept art without the 3d packages. Theyre a bonus but not a must.

also, trying to do both once you're working is a nightmare....making time for one means ditching the other usually leaving you very artistically frustrated (me).

I've been doing game art for about 10 years now and I rarely get chance to do any concept stuff so I relish the opportunity....unfortunately of late this hasnt been the case....

hey ho! Such is life eh!
    daily sketchbook

You need to do more anatomy...and check your values....wait...did I just say that?
    [lowpolymatt]

Thanks
    Journey Ed. has alot of good software at discount for college students. All you need to buy from them is a student id and list of of your current classes.

www.journeyed.com

(note: They have several different prices, packages, and licences.)

3DS Max:
    Discreet 3ds max 6 Student w/ChStudio&Reactor 1-Yr
    Usually Ships: 24 Hrs.
    Item No.: #62354843N F
    Commercial SRP: $3495
    Your Price: $179.98

Maya:
    Alias Maya 5 Jumpstart Student Ver. Complete WIN
    Usually Ships: 24 Hrs.
    Item No.: #32806473N F
    Commercial SRP: $1999
    Your Price: $499.98

Thanks
    thanks for the help everyone, I have heard of lightwave and cinema, maybe I could look into those. I spent the day recently in Empire studios in London with a guy called Ben who was a concept artist, he does a little 3D work but mostly freehand drawings.

He said that I didn't need to know any programmes either, he was taught his when he started work there, and he liked my artwork.

I think my next paln of action will be to show people my portfolio when its finished and see what happens!

Is anyone familuar with a MAC 3D programme called CARRARA 0.3? Coz I've found a cheap package of that and it sounds good for 3D modelling...

Thanks
    Empire? Empires management are a bunch of T***ers in my opinion. I used to work for Muckyfoot who were doing some stuff for them until they liquidated the company.....

Fortunately I'm elsewhere now and I have just recently heard they liquidated another company to save their own asses....

Bunch of cowboys imo, go for a decent company...someone like empire will have you over big time...
    daily sketchbook

You need to do more anatomy...and check your values....wait...did I just say that?
    [lowpolymatt]

Thanks
    really? I didn't know that! Oh well, I just spent the day there to see what the industry was like for a report I had to do for uni, don't worry I wasn't planning to get a job with them!!

i have just downloaded a BLENDER 3D programme, and it looks wicked, just very compliceted as I've never tried using a 3D modelling and animation programme before.I don't know where to start coz I'm so used to photoshop.

I am going to go and buy the intruction book I think...that way I can read through it at my own leasure and get practicing.

Wow, I can't remember the last time I was this excited! I love learning new things, I can't wait to get stuck in!! I'm like a kid at christmas!

Thanks
    If you're really willing to learn 3d.. well there's no stopping you of course.

Blender is free, but a lot of people find it overly complex, meaning it's hardly intuitive. I've tried, and given up..

If you're purely learning modelling, you should give wings3d a go, it's free and pretty easy to get going with..

Personally, I'd wait for z-brush 2 is released for mac (1.55 is the current version for mac, 2 can't take too long anymore since it's out there for windows).. it's one of the most innovative 3d packages out there and has cutting edge modelling technology.. take a look here: http://pixologic.com/index.cgi and here: http://pixologic.com/index.cgi
    Zbrush has been descirbed as using 3d clay.. from what I've seen of it, that's pretty much true.
    I think it'll be about 490 bucks when it's released on mac as well, like the windows version, and that's a really nice price imo.. download the free practical guide from their site and you will see what you can do with it.. (the free trial version of 1.55 is kinda old now so I wouldn't bother with that. 2 is very different)
    3 - 1 - 2 - 1

Thanks
    hmmm interesting, thanx renzsu. I will look at wings3D, as the package I have is very complicated, theres so much going on its hard to know where to start!!

And as for z-brush 2 I've never heard of that one, I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks
    Oh my gosh do they have tablets for cheap on journey, woah!