Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Emmeline's sketchbook

Pleased to be joining the sketchbook section on the forums!

[UPDATE: Changed thumbnail image to a recent life drawing piece. ~26/4/2014]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by emeraldsong; April 26th, 2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Changed thumbnail to something that takes advantage of the forum redesign

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Dragon Lizard

Here's a sketch that I completed today. Perhaps I should have made more decisive choices whether to shade it or not...?

Thanks

Life drawing

I have been doing a life drawing course, which'll end next week. Have found it helpful being forced to experiment with drawing using line, using tone, and with materials other than familiar stylus / tablet (such as charcoal).

Thanks

Life drawing from Wednesday 15th June

This was my final life drawing class in a series of six.

On Tuesday this week I also meandered past my local library and I had forgotten that I had asked for Andrew Loomis' book - which I saw recommended on ConceptArt.org - so I picked that up, too. My life drawing teacher suggested that it is really useful to understand the skeleton. I've studied musculature for humans a looooong time ago using Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy book. I look forward to seeing my skills up when I learn some of the skeletal stuff, too. It's making more sense after doing the six sessions of life drawing over the last two months.

Thanks
    Hello, Emeraldsong!

It's great that you've studied the muscular build and started attending a drawing class! (If I read right)

As for critique, your figures almost appear to be..melting, the skin sags and droops and the facial features are skewered. I suggest keep attending the drawing class and listening to what your teacher will say now and in the future. Unless you're drawing older folks, too much saggy and droopy skin and limbs are not good. Your figures just need some solid form and structure.

Goodluck! Keep going!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Entries to Daily Sketch Group forum

I want to keep all my stuff in this thread, so here are some entries I've made to the Daily Sketch Group forum:

Familiar animal with concave (as opposed to normal convex) skull and ribcage (pencil):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...65&postcount=9

Three black and while super vehicles (Manga Studio):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...1&postcount=16

Thanks

Monday 27th life drawing in Cardiff

Life drawing - final 30-40 minute pose done in Cardiff yesterday. I started trying out Reilly Method which I'd briefly read-up on from ImagineFX magazine's Anatomy special. Enjoyed meeting other artists and sharing around our sketchbooks and feedbacks.

Thanks

My right foot

My right foot. And a face.

Thanks

posemaniacs.com figure sketching exercises

I had a go yesterday and today at using posemaniacs.com and the 30 second random pose tool there. The page with ten figures was 30 second poses, attempted yesterday. The site advises to increase the time limit if you cannot finish sketching the pose so today I tried 90 second poses and the two sheets of four figures each are today's exercises.

Thanks

3/1/2012 posemaniacs.com exercising

8 x 90 second sketches using the random pose generator.

I started studying Andrew Loomis' Figure Drawing for All It's Worth last night and it's helped my grasp of eight-head-height proportions coalesce in my memory. I think it's been a help with doing this sheet.

This post possibly to appear in a mini-avalanche of these when they go through moderation maybe.

Thanks

Still life using tablet PC, Wacom stylus and Photoshop

Drawing from observation practice from Saturday 11/2/2012. This too about 1h20.

I've just started reading Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain and wish to do the starter exercises recommended there before I progress with reading the book further. I hope I have the satisfaction of seeing future improvement to look forward to!

Thanks
    Hi, great start here...are you still attending those life classes? Update more..the last one you did on your tablet pc looks pretty neat. Keep going I'm interested to see where this goes. Spend more time on still life and really see. Upload more

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Damien Levs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Damien! I was able to attend a life drawing class last Wednesday. Recently I've found various SketchCrawl, meetup.com and Facebook group-based resources for life drawing, along with the opportunities I have on Wednesdays I may be able to do more, it depends on my choosing to prioritise it!

Following are three exercises I did today, the first exercises from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. These are from before I've dug into the body of the book; have just read the introduction so far. Glasses is a self-portrait. Mad hair is drawn from memory - somebody I know. Finally the hand is my off-hand (I'm a leftie!) I've photographed these with my digital camera to upload (flash off as I find it washes things out and the pencil reflects the light, spoiling dark areas anyway). Next time I'll light the pages better before I snap them as the faces are a bit fuzzy.

Thanks

Drawing what I see

Here's some life drawing from yesterday afternoon, and a still life done at home this evening. Figure drawings were something like 30 minutes each, using charcoal and compressed charcoal. I didn't take in the timings, but I'm pleased with the improvement in what I can capture in that time. The flowers took 2h20 using Photoshop. I think I need to learn and practice more drawing line and values before trying colour.

Reflecting on the life drawing and earlier comments in this sketchbook about my figures looking like they're "melting", I would like to try controlling the lines I make more carefully and trying to construct more solid 3D forms. It could be that because I like the way Yoshitaka Amano's drawings of figures from imagination are rendered with very whimsical, flowing curves I'm trying to apply this line style to figure drawing uncritically.

Thanks
    Two 30 minute poses and a 15 minute pose (in the blue and purple crayon - not quite sure what the timing was...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast