C.O.W. #216 ,the painter. Wips Thread.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  250.3 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.concepyart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #216, the painter

topic:

ROUND#216, the painter

This week we'll be designing a very artistic critter. Well, maybe not intentionally artistic. The creature this week has something in its biology that produces a bright blue bodily fluid. It then applies (or paints) its blue secretion to its environment to mark its territory. It may do this to find mates, lure prey, or ward off predators in some way, but its up to you to decide the reason it does this strange activity.

Requirements...

- the creature can be any color, but the fluid it produces must be blue. The shade of blue is up to you.

- you must show how the creature makes the fluid in your design. As well as how they apply it.

- You need to keep in mind why it marks its territory, but its acceptable to only include that in your description.

Deadline:

June 15th 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

finals go here...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...77#post3150377

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by (lark; June 8th, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in! Already got an idea brewing...
    How about this guy?
    Name:  smeargle.gif
Views: 1170
Size:  18.2 KB
    Ok, it's a pokemon you caught me....but a little inspiration won't hurt nobody.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just an idea, but is personifying a spray_can braking the rules?

I got a few other ideas, i would like to take part with these activities competitions but yeah i ain't a good artist therefore i may just post my ideas here only. . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, i started playing with the spray can idea, pretending I can paint:
    I think its breaking the rules because the Can-creature resembles a human, so I'm gonna scrap that idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need to work on my values fo sho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was fun , but again a monster that paints, a painting monster, the pokemon painting monster is a great idea its really hard to compete with that.

Here is a tentacle painter its back / butt stores blue paint and squirts it out when its in fear just like a skunk.
    i might stick with this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first time posting so be a gentle or harsh as you feel. My style reflects a lot on the imagination. Can the creature be partly imagined or does the creature have to be segments of existing creatures. Eg: body of horse head of crab or body of horse head imagined shape of some kind.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Episode Your creature can be pretty much whatever you wish as long as it follows the rules. You can twist existing animals, rip some parts of them to your design, come up with something completely new, merge several animals together to form some kind of hybrid etc. etc. As long as it is an original creature that doesn't exist in the real world, it's cool.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first entry into anything on this forum so i hope you enjoy. I did many pages of sketches before finally deciding on this creature.
    Is the perspective correct?
    As always be as fragile or critical as needed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Episode For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on some ideas for this one - I'm thinking of doing some sort of sky-writer. Kind of this sluggish thing that ambles around the clouds, marking them with a blue vapor.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Camel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ran outta time on the last one, giving this one a go! Hope this isn't too "humanoid". But I wanted to check before I started to render it... oh, if there's anything else I should do too I'd appriciate the critism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @whiskeysour: looks far enough from a human to be considered a creature, Im not sure we can use multiple colours since it was specifically stated that the fluid is blue.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @McGhoul: The form is coming together, just remember to focus on a primrary lightsource and build shading and highlighting off of that, I think making the tongue a bit longer and curved, as if he is actually licking the tree, would give it a bit more movement in your image, and showing a bit more splatter on the tree as well would also imply a more lively presence for your creature.

@AdrianNagorski: A better design than your can creature, remember that it should apply the paint to something as opposed to just spraying it on enemies, that basically already happenes in nature since certain cephalopods do this

@Episode: See above what I said for AdrianNagorski. Also I'd fix the part where the necks connect to the body, since it looks like the heads are just barely hanging on.

@Camel: Looks awsome so far dude. Looking forward to seeing you render this, I can imagine this creature full of colour and all those bulbous ball thingies are transparent sacs full of the blue vapour spray, but this is your creature don't let me tell you how to design it. But I'd show in the background some sort ot design or trail of the vapour, also having it wrap around the creature would be pretty cool as well.

@Whiskeysour: Upon looking at your creature again, I notice it's a bit off balance, if you notice the shoulders, one is considerably highler than the other and the mohawk seems a bit off center with the creature's body, flip the canvas often to give yourself a fresh look at your image, and it shows these kinds of misproportions more clearly

Well, after one half of my brain was finished arguing with the other half I've decided to go traditional this round. I've been meaning to go back to using coloured pencils, similarily to my macaw drawing (shameless self promotion the macaw can be found on my SB and DA account if you want to see it). I'm actually quite surprised this showed as well as it did through the scanner because it is drawn really lightly on the paper. The idea is that these primates secrete this sticky blue substance through sweat glands on their palms and fingers. They draw on various surfaces to communicate with other critters in the area, whether it's a 'Piss Off!' or 'I'm Horny!' or 'Grub's Up!' message depends on the shape/symbol they draw, still haven't come up with those shapes yet...looking for some feedback so I can or won't fix before applying the colours...
    Name:  the painter.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  359.5 KB

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rob Powell : good point! I'll figure something out,, your design reminds me of a Gremlin cross bread with a star wars teddy bear person, no offense intended ,
    i honestly like it.

i edited my monster a bit, not sure how or what to do with the legs/feet tho

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AdrianNagorski: EWOKS!!! Awsome little critters! That was my initial thought when I first drew these guys out. As for your piece the perspective is a bit off, especially on the front legs, and your front legs are lacking elbows or any joints for that matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry double post, my laptop is really being stupid tonight....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick sketch of what I plan to do. I'm thinking this creature will have gill-like protrusions running along their sides that fill up with ink. They mark their territory by rubbing themselves like cats across rocks, females, etc.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kubikub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick digital lighting test...
    Name:  the painter lighting test.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  358.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Ever wonder why the seas are blue?

(I hold a grudge against MS Paint for obvious reasons and probably will not be submitting this into the finals until cleaned further. Also, hello.)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 0xym0ron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the suggestions, Rob

I'm gonna try and be better about giving crits this round:

McGhoul: some near-white highlights on that guy would make him look not so flat. Also, the feet have a more cartoony look than the rest of the creature – maybe look at some references to bring the realism up a bit.

AdrianNagorski: As Rob mentioned, the legs are a little formless at the moment – look at some references of dogs, pigs, goats (or whatever four legged animal you think would come closest to your creature’s anatomy) and define the joints of the knee and ankle.

Episode: The angle of the necks to the body seems a bit extreme – right now they’re coming almost straight down from the body, whereas they would likely curve more gradually into that position.

Whisky Sour: Doesn’t look too humanoid to me. There doesn’t seem to be much place for this guy’s innards to sit, with his face being right in the middle of his torso – if you gave him more of a belly underneath his chin area it would seem more anatomically correct, I think.

Kubikub: He looks a little off balance at the moment, like he might topple over – if you swung the tail around to his back to balance out the rest of the body, dinosaur-style, and moved the feet forward a bit, it might help balance him out.

Rob: Lighting is looking good - I would do some darker shading around the foremost guy’s hip/back leg area – right now that area is sort of ambiguous.

0xym0ron: great atmosphere so far - I'm interested in seeing this cleaned up

Update on mine:

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Camel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Camel: Looks good. I like the colors. Nice and vibrant.

Wip idea. I can't seem to get the perspective of the background legs correct.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dcritelli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Creach.

My amphibious painter in progress. Let me know about it.

Not showing it's blue-ness yet, but it'll be there eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @oxym0ron: Looks neat but atm I don't see very much evidence of any sort of blue secretion from your creature, although once you clean it up it may be a bit more obvious.

@Camel: Looks cool. The veins on the blue balls (hehee) are a nice touch. Can't wait to see this finished.

@Dcritelli: One thing I'd suggest with the legs is to place the front leg a littler further forward to balance the creature a bit better, remember that usually stand with their weight as balanced as possible so the front leg would move further forward to shift the center of gravity further back. Also think about the placement of the bg legs, where they would be under the body, atm the front on is a bit too underneath, so it gives the impression that it's connects straight from the body.

@Chron121: The perspective looks a little bit off on your creature. Good to see your working with a wider range of values, try to focus on a specific lightsource and build the light and shading around that. Also get rid of the white background and use a more neutral shade, all the white tends to overpower the lighter values, plus it is much easier to build up lighter values and build down darker values froma more neutral shade. I'd also recommend giving us the feet of the creature so we can get a better understanding of the full creature design.

Well, decided to take this back to digital. Working on the values, which are about 70-80% done. At least on the creatures, will probably start working with colours soon because I don't really wanna waste to much time and end up with another b/w piece, especially since colours are pretty important this round

Name:  the painter copy.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  297.3 KB

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP Sketch. Update.

Last edited by Kaimera; June 15th, 2011 at 02:07 AM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaimera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something thrown together, but I don't think I'll have time to finish anything.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to justonecog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took the forum's advise and changed some stuff... here's my pic so far!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Whiskey Sour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I have a long way to go and i'm still trying to find my process. This one I tried seemed to turn out ok'ish. My highlights do need to be fixed I can see that but there is probably lots more. Anyway here it is.

Rob Powell: Thanks for the crits, I cant seem to read the bottom half of your creature, it seems funny where the leg joins and where the torso continues down to the tail? Also how the top one is holding on to the tree, it is possible with strength to do it but I would show his fingers coming around the other side or in the notch where it branches off but its just an idea.

Camel: Liking the colors, are those big scales on his back? Also thanks for the crits, I did try to work on the feet.

Sorry I cant give out more right now.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McGhoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real rough! Getting something going....

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another idea...I think I'll work with this one more.....just painting

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got a lot of time on my hands so I thought I'd throw into this challenge too.
    Crits are appreciated.

Name:  COW-216-wip.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  91.1 KB

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.