Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: E3 2011

Thanks

E3 2011

A thread for all things E3 2011.

Prey 2 - looks awsome, Very Blade runner.
    Halo 4 - I wait to see more before getting to excited.
    Battlefield 3 - Looks great

As for announcements:
    Is it just me being pessimistic. Or do all the unveilings claim to be changing the face of gaming in a whole new way - the next generation. Such as the PSP vita presentation.
    Only to get to the end without having said anything ground breaking. What exactly is supose to be the revolution here?
    No doubt the product is awsome, but it's not exactly changing anything. All it's doing is packing existing technology together in a way people expect these days.
    of course in saying that - what would I know - the original Ipad was a success, and that was perhaps the most pointless product of the year.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This one has me jizzing in my pants:

The Reaper Base

It's a quick presentation of Mass Effect 3, but I'm wondering how they're going to write/play it so that it makes sense as to why the Illusive Man has Cerberus trying to whack your ass, AS WELL as working with the Reapers..

TIM, I swallowed my morality, and preserved the Collector base for you - and THIS is how you return the favour?

Anyway, can't wait for the conclusion to the Shepard story arc!
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Battle field 3: looked impressive cant wait
    Halo 4 : Its Halo of coarse ill buy it, 343 hopefully will do great things.
    The old Republic: looks cool but I really don't want to wast time on another MMORPG

Haven't watched that much of the coverage, just saw some clips from Microsoft, and saw Nintendos new thing which to be honest...looked really dumb...

"were going back to our hard core fan base here,.....look we have another gimmicky controller you can now play golf and look straight down at the ball."

and then they go on to talk about there third party support and basically the list is, Tetris, frogger, and pac man,

eventually developers like EA, and activision etc etc talked about there games like Assains creed, Ninja Gidan, Tekken, and some others cant really remember which was kind of a surprise but, I'm not a fan at all of Nintendos new console
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Uncharted 3 looks amazing as expected. Have to say that after this conference I'm happy to be a PS3 owner (though I'll prolly get a Wii U because I'm a sucker).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onionface View Post

As for announcements:
    Is it just me being pessimistic. Or do all the unveilings claim to be changing the face of gaming in a whole new way - the next generation. Such as the PSP vita presentation.
    Only to get to the end without having said anything ground breaking. What exactly is supose to be the revolution here?
    No doubt the product is awsome, but it's not exactly changing anything. All it's doing is packing existing technology together in a way people expect these days.
    of course in saying that - what would I know - the original Ipad was a success, and that was perhaps the most pointless product of the year.
    E3 is a marketing convention. People are just trying to sell you on a product.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Mass Effect showed off redundant kinect diologue interaction and a turret sequence. Coupled with the inevitable piecemeal DLC and no doubt restricted gameplay.... Bioware is dead to me. They get my money for Mass Effect 3 only because I want to finish the series.

The only thing that looked halfway decent was Skyrim, and even though it wasn't shown at a large conference it still carried the show. Go bethsoft.

And again, we have a forum for talking about games and such :/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There used to be a sweet spot in gaming, maybe a little more than a decade ago, where there was a middle ground for creativity and innovation in gaming as much there was money and commerce. Unfortunately, the budgets for most games these days have become huge and the financial risks so high that the only acceptable audience is the widest possible mainstream market.

I'm not saying there aren't good games anymore, but the offerings available seem to get a little blander each year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    I`m not sure if i find the Wii U all that interesting yet, personally. I guess itll be nice to wait and see what actually will bring of new to the table.

Not that is bad, just not novel enough of a presentation.

Reading a bit it says how it finally matches an xbox 360 or Ps3 on technical capacity, which should be a given by this point, that one particularly is kind af a lame selling point.
    Last edited by JDSart; June 8th, 2011 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Watching the Trailer for Prototype 2:
    Intro dialogue reminds me of some sort of WWE wrestling intro.

Demo:

Yeah they were definitley strecthing the use of the new wii remote to the extreme with that golf ball shit.
    I also thought that the new nintendo controller looked like it was designed by Fisher-Price.
    Halo 4 is not done by Bungie, so it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Goog:

I'm a skeptic. In every part of life. If someone is going to make an outragous claim, they better have the nads, and the evidence to back it up. Although in saying that, I know I don't represent the masses.
    Last edited by onionface; June 8th, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Didn't really like that much but Skyrim, UC3, and Dark Souls all look good.

Really haven't been pleased this whole generation though...I think because game budgets have gone up soooo much that companies are less willing to take risks .

Thanks
    I'm really uncertain whether I'll end up buying Battlefield 3. The other games in the series have been great but Battlefield Bad Company 2 was a HUGE letdown for me... the game won't even work for a start; a problem I know is very common and it seems that it will never be solved or fixed. There's time yet, so I'll probably end up seeing if there are any problems with the game before buying it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    I still cant think of many reasons that i would be interested in touching a Nintendo console other than playing a new Zelda game or a Mario one for the fun of it. If the core is whats on their mind, they need to make a stronger point.

Was kinda funny how the trailer looked pretty much af is it were just a wii attachment, with the bubbleheads and all, then they just show you a scene with Link fighting a Spider.

I was just thinking on something like :
    "yes, yes see? SEE?! we`ll keep making Zelda games, is all good, we`ll make you a hundred but please please dont give us that look"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I was there yesterday...still sore from walking. Of the games that i saw there were several i think that i'm particularly looking forward to.

Dark Souls - The sequel to the ps3 game demon souls. Just a dark fantasy game where you explore old castles and ruins and caves and other typical fantasy environments with a good old sword and board. Probably the game i'm looking forward to the most. Demon souls was a fantastic game and the sequel is shaping up to be at leasts as good.

Tera - An MMO but looks really great. I didn't get to play it as there was always a line to play it and i hate waiting in lines to play some video game that i just want to try breifly. But yeah they game looks and looks like it plays great.

Gears of War 3 - I always loved the gears of war single player campaigns. To me, Gears is a shooter that feels like no other. I love the cover mechanic, the art, everything. Definitely looking forward to gears 3. Although i saw it, i didn't get to play it cause there was again a massive line to play it.

Elderscrolls Skyrim - can't remember the full name but it looked great. I really didn't like oblivion, but apparently in its successor they seem to have fixed a lot of annoyances i had in oblivion. You can now do 3rd person view, spells are better, theres more varied environments etc. It looks like a pretty solid game
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Mass Effect 3, SWTOR, Skyrim and Tomb Raider are definitely on my wish-list. I and a bunch of friends have been waiting since they announced SWTOR to play this game... we were in high school back then, now we live in different countries, but we are still starting on release day. Battlefield 3 looks amazing and I'm sure this game will win a lot of GOTY awards, but I doubt my PC will be able to handle it. Overall this E3 is nice, 90% of the games I play are RPGs and it seems that some of the best RPGs in the history of gaming are coming out this winter/next year. I have no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be amazing. It's a day one buy for me... actually preorder

Thanks
    Sulphur: I think you're being a bit harsh there. I can easily see where Wii U could end up being a lot of fun. I certainly won't be buying one at launch, but there's no reason it shouldn't be a good time. Also remember that there's another E3 between now and release for Nintendo to show off gameplay. With well over a year til launch, I doubt anything is ready to show yet.

Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Battlefield 3, Journey, Skyrim and Skyward Sword are the big games I'm looking forward to.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    At least there was something interesting and new about the hardware re Wii U - specially when you can have different takes at the gameplay. I am so tired of sequels of the same stuff.

Oh wait, no sorry let's just go about how we're getting more prettier graphics of Xgame #345

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    You went? Mad jelly of you.

As a huge RPG/MMO geek I've a lot to look forward to, TERA and SWTOR being the most exciting features at E3 for me. So I'm happy.

But I can see why console gamers and non-RPGers are a little dissapointed - this year companies just seems to be tossing out predictable sequels and facepalmingly bad 'revolutions' like the Wii U.
    All Nintendo did to create it's shiny new doodad was think "What do people like right now? Oh yeah, casual gaming gimmicks and tablets." And unfortunately they'll be right and every mom and nintendork will be throwing cash at them at christmas.

Every sparkly example in the demo video proved that it doesn't contribute anything of any worth to gameplay.

May as well call it the 'Wii U-seless".
    Im actually in agreement with u Sulphur about the lackluster seeming Wii U. Though i'm a bit biased as i havent gave a shit about nintendo really since N64. The nintendo section of E3 is usually just an obstruction to other games and companies i care about more and i usually only use their area as a shortcut to get through to other stuff. Everything after N64 game wise seemed like a solution to a problem that never existed before, or a problem to a solution that was always there.

Nintendo is innovative, sort of, and i'll give them that. They definitely arent afraid to take a risk and i very much respect them for that. But i am in agreement that at times some of their games and products feel a bit gimmicky.

I'm sort of a purist though, i very much believe in the idea "if it isn't broken, dont fix it" and Nintendo i feel like is constantly breaking that. Sometimes i dont want a mario game where i'm squirting water out of my water gun at stuff, or running in circles over an oversized beachball sized planet, or a zelda game where i have to look at the screen in my controller to interact with the game; i just want classic mario 64 gameplay or zelda 64 zelda or mario kart where im not switching drivers throughout the race etc. So that's my beef with nintendo.

But yeah, lots of great RPG related stuff is coming out soon. I forgot about mass effect 3, while i lean more toward the fantasy RPG stuff, i think ME3 will definitely be a release date buy. Also if u are up for a bit of a more challenging game, I'd reccomend picking up Dark Souls when it releases. That series of games (demon souls/dark souls) is very challenging, but also very rewarding and a very solid action RPG style game. If u dont mind the occasional frustration along with a very well polished game, i'd reccomend picking dark souls up when it comes out.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

or my Artstation

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Pretty much the only games that stole the show for me were Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim. The rest of the announcements were either lame or "not applicable" to my interests (Such as BF3, which looks gorgeous, but I don't like realistic shooters).

All the new hardware looks okay, I guess, but I will be more impressed when I see good games playing on them.

Thanks
    yeah Skyrim looked surprisingly good. I actually really didn't like oblivion but i think i'm willing to give Bethesda another go with skyrim. Those environments look fantastic. (not as good as Witcher 2 but fantastic nonetheless)

or my Artstation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    I loved Oblivion, but other than the environments in that game, there was some really shoddy graphics. I remember the day after it came out, I was already saying "These character models are not going to age well".

Sounds like they are going back to more of the Morrowind vibe, so that is just awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I dunno, I don't mind consoles having more fun to them, I miss the old arcades (yes some exist) but there's nothing new for those anymore.

There was just something fun about some of those cabinets and peripherals to use on a game.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Battlefield 3: Looks great, but I heard that they've made the recoil even more realistic, which means it's going to be even harder. Love the bullet drop when sniping in Bad Company 2 though.

Halo 4: Start of a new trilogy? You mad? I like how it was a bombshell right at the end of their show, and hopefully it can live up to the standards of the originals. Reach and ODST don't count, they were nowhere near as good. As for the "oh no, wer is bungee" debate, I'm not too worried. They can't stray too far from the books, and 343 made the last map pack. Oh, and a whole bunch of 343 are actually ex-Bungie, who wanted to stay with Halo.

Creed: Revelations: Finally, the end Creed. Or at least, Ezio. The original was incredible, one of my favourite games ever, but damn, the sequels sucked. Especially Brotherhood, which is essentially Creed 2.5. That said though, probably my favourite trailer. Music was great, I now have the band's whole album (they're called Woodkid BTW), and the bit's with the ghost Altair, and the familiar buildings from Creed 1...oh, I had chills. Nerdy, nerdy chills.

And as for the Wii U, the presentation could have been way better. Only problem was they went straight onto the controller, leading 99% of people to think it was just a gimmick, not a new console after all. Verrrrry cool technology, as always Nintendo are leading the field. I can't wait to go the E3 someday.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    There weren't many non Zelda, Mario standard nintendo titles announced I was interested in (Except Resident Evil =p) but I'm still a Nintendo fan. I love all the mario's pretty much and Zelda games are some of the best games I've played. Then dat Kid Icarus

Then Nintendo has those random scattered titles I still enjoy, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc etc. That and the 3DS still has a lot of main name publishers that are signed on that are still working on it I suppose.

Got to try one first hand the other week and I was pretty impressed. Wasn't mind blowing like OMG this is holographic but it had some nice depth. Didn't feel gimmicky to me or any of my friends. Apparently you can see the 3D trailers from your 3DS so I'm going to check out some of those titles this weekend at a friends. Dat Mario Cart, Paper Mario and Ocarina of time =p

30. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't think there should be any doubt that there will be plenty of good games for Wii U, 3DS and Vita. I never understand how people complain about a system not having enough games... they said it about GC but I have over 20 games for it that are all great. They say it about PSP but there are plenty of games I would love to own for that. I don't think I'm ever going to catch up on all the PS3 games that look good (PS4 can wait 5 years as far as I'm concerned). Maybe these people only play one specific genre, I don't know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    I'm looking forward to the WiiU. With the right games I think it could be great. And the new Zelda is looking pretty neat too.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    I'm glad they are keeping up the Wipeout franchise. Thats one of my favourites.
    the psp version is cool, but definitly it's the type of game that needs to be on a large screen for maximum epileptic effect.

Thanks
    I would be looking forward to Skyward Sword if it weren't for the motion controls....never liked 'em, even with the Wii + remote. It's not too late to change the game mechanics for me! Q_Q

HERES TO FLAILING my arms while attacking!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    From the demos I've seen you'll die pretty quickly if you just flail. I'm partial to buttons as well, but these new controls actually do look pretty cool.

Thanks
    The Wii U looks great, and is equipped with a stylus and a 'singletouch resistant touchscreen' aka pressure sensitive?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I loved Oblivion, but other than the environments in that game, there was some really shoddy graphics. I remember the day after it came out, I was already saying "These character models are not going to age well".

Sounds like they are going back to more of the Morrowind vibe, so that is just awesome.
    Oblivion tried a lot of new features but many of them ended up rather unrefined. Fallout 3 improved most of them but then they had another two years to work on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by onionface View Post
    Is it just me being pessimistic. Or do all the unveilings claim to be changing the face of gaming in a whole new way - the next generation.
    It has been a very innovation light E3 but I suspect next year's will make up for it, chances are Microsoft and Sony will both be unveiling their new consoles there and if they don't have something eye catching and new they're going to get called on it (look at how Nintendo's stock price fell after the disappointing Wii U unveiling).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast