Sketchbook: Whitty Title (chazdraves' Sketchbook)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

chazdraves is offline Looking At The Big Picture Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Whitty Title (chazdraves' Sketchbook)

Latest work is always on the last page (why does everyone type that, isn't that assumed?). Feedback is seriously appreciated - I know I have a lot to learn and the privilege of a very talented community to inspire me.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Brief History - For those that would like to know.

------------

Past: I've been drawing probably since I was old enough to hold a crayon and took art classes all through high school and during my brief stint in college. Unfortunately, I never took it seriously and never really progressed. Although I always took classes, I put in bare minimum effort to maintain a high-B/low-A average.

Recent History: Three years ago I was in a job I hated and wondering "why?". I decided it was time to do something I cared about and purchased a new computer and an Intuos 3 w/Painter X. I also started my first sketchbook here on CA. Unfortunately, I was young, demanding, and lazy. I wanted help handed to me by the best minds here with no effort on my part, and I wanted talent to develop itself within me sans any work from myself. Needless to say, my sketchbook saw roughly 10 updates over the course of 3 months and then disappeared into obscurity. Up until now, I haven't touched a pencil since then. I sold all of my stuff and gave up on the whole thing.

Present: For the last 3 years, I haven't drawn anything - I haven't even thought about it. I made an effort for the last year-and-a-half at writing a book which taught me that any success requires real and continued effort combined with education and hard work. When I came to accept the fact that my dreams hinge on my work ethic, I realized art has always been my natural drive and is thusly the skill set I'd like to develop and even turn into a career.

I picked up a pencil again on May 9th, 2011. I made a commitment to myself that if I could draw for 15 hours or more that first week, I would again allow myself to purchase a drawing "rig", tablet, and Painter. I didn't aim too high, but I managed 16 hours that week and called it good. Since then, I'm averaging about 15-20 hours a week with the first few weeks of basic study and re-familiarization. Now (June 7th, 2011), I'm finally moving into reference studies and still lifes working between graphite with a sketchbook and my digital setup.

Future: I know I'm unique in this, but I'd like to do concept art for video games. My goal is to be employable within two years of self-teaching. Countless hours perusing sketchbooks here shows me this is difficult but possible. I want to maintain a minimum of 15-hours-a-week as part of getting there

--------------------------------------------------------------

Goals of this sketchbook: I plan to update this sketchbook every Monday with the best drawing of the previous week. After three weeks of work, I always take a week off where any drawing I do is "off the clock" and won't be posted. I again strongly encourage your feedback should you be so kind but recognize this is all on me one way or the other.

I thank you for your courtesy in reading all of the above for those that did and for your time in looking through my sketchbook. The first entry will be just below this.

Regards,
    -Chaz

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chazdraves; June 20th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First Entry

Well, with the above out of the way, I guess we move forward. As I said above, I'm presently drawing 3-or-4-hours-a-day, 5-days-a-week and this sketchbook will contain what I consider the best work of the previous week. I simply think it's a bit much to upload everything I draw, and I don't want to take the time out of every day to update this post when I should probably be drawing. If I find the above criteria is too little to justify a sketchbook, I'll certainly consider increasing the frequency of posts.

Anyhow. The below represent my picks from the last three weeks (the first week was all graphite, and I don't care to photograph it). The first one is of my trackball (unfinished), the second is a basic shape work from imagination, and the third is from reference with the reference included below as well (credit goes to a user on Flickr for the original image). For what it's worth, please know there are 50+ other .riff files from those same weeks that I'm not posting (really for all our sakes).

Thank you again for your time and any comments you feel inclined to leave.

Regards,
    - Chaz

Last edited by chazdraves; June 20th, 2011 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As mentioned above, I've decided to take a one-week-break after every three weeks of drawing. Hopefully I will soon reach a point where I can work every week, but I feel it's worthwhile to clear my head every now and again.

Anyhow, this image is actually from two weeks ago because last week was "off". I'm back at the grind as of today and will have updates the next two Mondays.

Thanks for looking!
    - Chaz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Monday already. This last week I transitioned fully to doing studies. I've decided that for the next couple of weeks I will select an image to work at the beginning and work it repeatedly until the end of the week. Hopefully this repetition will allow me to pick out things I otherwise would not notice.

That said, I spent most of my time working on a small Bic lighter last week. The first image is a quick 1-hour-study of said lighter where instead of discovering how to draw brushed metal (as I had hoped), I actually discovered a simple method for drawing fur/hair. The second image then is a quick study of that same technique in application. You'll note I accidentally began my drawing on the canvas layer and hence there is a bit of canvas mucked up in my bristles. I couldn't find a quick way to fix it, and so I left it (to my dismay).

Thanks to those that look!
    - Chaz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This week was spent mostly on a study of a lighter. All told, this was roughly 11-12 hours in Painter. I think I'll continue doing lengthy studies until I get a good feel for different materials. It seems that the more time I spent with this image, the better I was understanding the subject - understanding seems to me to be the best way to improve. It's also worth noting that next week is my scheduled week off and as such my next post will be either next Monday or the week after, but a gap will likely exist either way.

Thanks for looking and to anyone that might share some advice/comments/critiques/or the alike!
    - Chaz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lighter is looking really good, the detailed rendering of the sparker (cog on the top) is very impressive, however, i'm not sure if both sides of the cog are in the same perspective. Also, it's hard to tell what the body of the lighter is made out of, perhaps put more thought into how you want to render textures. Anyhow, it's good to see your work in progress.

As for the strawberry, I don't think you have enough range in your values, it lacks impact. At any rate, good start, I hope you keep going and thanks for your support

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to post a quick update. As mentioned in the first post, I've already had one sketchbook start and then go off the grid. In this case, it's really quite the opposite. At my current level, most of the problems in my work are easily observed even to myself. I decided I would hold off from flooding this space until my work is at the level where I'm having difficulty finding what's wrong. To that end, I've mostly gone back to a physical sketchbook working in pencil and focusing heavily on linework. I've also doubled my hours up to 35-40 hours a week and no longer take the "week off" every 4th week and instead take a light week of 20 hours to recover motivation and get housework done. I don't imagine anyone is actively following this, but I wanted to update it in case anyone stumbles across it.

That said, this is a sketchbook, and I should probably post something to legitimize this post. The images are about as old as my last post, but I don't have a scanner nor the desire to photograph my sketchbook right now.

Again, thanks to anyone that should come across this. More regular updates will come some day, but don't make the mistake of believing I've given up, I've merely gone "underground" until I get better.

- Chaz

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.