Sketchbook: MangaCrazy101's Sketch Book

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Thanks

MangaCrazy101's Sketch Book

Hi I'm MC101 or Jobii.
    I live in New South Wales Australia, in a very tiny town of 3000 surrounded by the outback. So how does an outback country girl discover and want to be a Concept artist? When I was in school i went through a hard time and only one person liked me, my best friend.

When I started high School things were getting worse and my little sister stumbled apon Manga somewhere on the internet, instant love interest. Drawing has helped me through so much over the years and without it I wouldn't be here so; I want to share my love of drawing with the world. =)

I'm still only in High School so I'm not so good yet and being in a small remote town.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MangaCrazy101; June 18th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sharnie rocking the guitar Hero first GIMP edit after tutorials.
    Far Mulan 'realistic' Screenshot.

Last edited by MangaCrazy101; June 11th, 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Grammar and resizing pics

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about a tablet yet. Work on studies and draw from life and you'll be able to advance your skills just fine. Solid skills with traditional media will only help your digital work when you get your hands on that tablet.

Keep it up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to habrok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by habrok View Post
    I wouldn't worry about a tablet yet. Work on studies and draw from life and you'll be able to advance your skills just fine. Solid skills with traditional media will only help your digital work when you get your hands on that tablet.

Keep it up.
    Thank you so much, I appreciate your criticism =3
    Hopefully I can get much better before then ^^.

A chibi concept anime mascot girl, competition on DA. I didn't have an eraser on me at the time...again ^^;
    &
    MCR (My Chemical Romance- Black Parade Back cover art Observation drawing. The scale is ten times bigger than what I was copying. 24/12/10

Last edited by MangaCrazy101; June 11th, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: adding attachments

Thanks
    Definetley draw from life before stylization. Maybe you'll develop your own, unique style along the way

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibalcarnivale View Post
    Definetley draw from life before stylization. Maybe you'll develop your own, unique style along the way
    What do you mean 'draw from life' =/ I don't get it ^^;
    Oh and would you happen to know how to make the picture scale smaller? They're not that big on my cpmuter but once I upload them they're all jumbo =w=

Thanks
    there's no special meaning behind 'draw from life'. It is what it seems to be. Draw real human beings that are standing/sitting/lying in front of you. There's nothing better than drawing from reality and working with the shapes you will see there. If you want to be a real concept artist, I don't think you can go on with the manga things. Not the way you are doing it now.
    There's nothing wrong about manga itself, but you need real basics. You can not draw abstract characters that can convince people if you don't know the reality behind them (oh my, my english sucks. I don't if that expresses what I wanna say)

You can resize your pictures with programs like irfan view. I think they are already big on your computer, but your program scale them down on the screen to make it easier to look at them. But that just mean, that your program is not showing you the real size.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Drawing from life will help you see and understand the shapes that you are using to create your figures. Even if it's just some dishes or yourself in the mirror it will help make your work less flat.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ProtectYaNeck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyavande View Post
    there's no special meaning behind 'draw from life'. It is what it seems to be. Draw real human beings that are standing/sitting/lying in front of you. There's nothing better than drawing from reality and working with the shapes you will see there. If you want to be a real concept artist, I don't think you can go on with the manga things. Not the way you are doing it now.
    There's nothing wrong about manga itself, but you need real basics. You can not draw abstract characters that can convince people if you don't know the reality behind them (oh my, my english sucks. I don't if that expresses what I wanna say)

You can resize your pictures with programs like irfan view. I think they are already big on your computer, but your program scale them down on the screen to make it easier to look at them. But that just mean, that your program is not showing you the real size.
    Oh, thanks ^^

I've done portrait pictures too, I just havent uploaded them. 'Cuz I'm lazy =3
    But yeah I need to get the anatomy down pat, it's a bugger. D: SO I'll try drawing more real life stuffs XD

@ProtectYANeck- Thankyou hopefully I'll be able to do so more in the future

Damon Salvatore (Ian Somerhalder) from the Vampire Diaries series 24/5/11
    &
    Ginny Weasley, fourth Year, Portrait drawing, graphite 11/5/11

Last edited by MangaCrazy101; June 11th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    I can def see a lot of potential here just keep at it with life drawings and you'll be improving like no-one business!!!

I would stay away from the stylized drawings for a little while though and practice drawing real people. Maybe you could get one of your family members to sit for you? Or just draw them while they're watching tv, that's what I do

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    If your serious about getting better Draw from life like others have said.

Also learning some general anatomy helps work wonders.
    See the problem with anime/manga style is its basically shortcut upon shortcut and while most of the actual artists themselves actually do know the groundworks behind what they're doing. Everyone who just imitates what they see in that style definitely doesn't and can't develop very well. In fact it hurts when you try to draw normally. You'll notice you constantly make eyes too big or exaggerate features. It gets really annoying lol.

I'd try some of Andrew Loomis's books to start with though. Look through, read some, practice the drawings as you see while trying to understand them. Eventually you'll start to connect the dots. "Oh well this goes here and looks like this at this angle because this part of the body indents over here" etc etc... You can never practice enough anatomy. I need to do some myself.

http://alexhays.com/loomis/

You can always jump back into a manga type style after you learn more. But starting out I suggest to reaaaaally stay away from it. Oh yeah and the last two are a step in the right direction for sure!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for you feed back
    I will definitely check out Andrew Loomis @Jfierce.

The new uploaded image is just some eye anatomy practise I am doing, this is the most recent.
    Numbers4 and up are guys eyes, one to three are girls.

And the second one is'Daniel Radcliffe' both my mother and I have agreed I have shaded too much.

Last edited by MangaCrazy101; September 26th, 2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: resizing pic

Thanks
    The first artwork in this post is a 'Phampyre' and original character of mine for a manga I'm working on. This was my first artwork in SAI. 4/Jan/12.

The second artwork is just something I'm mucking around with and I can't seem to do any facial features that match the style. This is my Character Tsuki for another story of mine. 17/Mar/12

Yes I have a graphic tablet but it is a VERY old tablet, Medion A4 that I scored from a friend for about $80.00.

I am thinking of upgrading to a medium Wacom Intuos5, thoughts?
    There is no pressure in this tablet/ pen at all and it really annoys me it's so old the lines are fuzzy even though I've modified them in SAI...
    Is it worth it? Will my art improve?

Thanks
    I recently have gotten into the concept of 3D modelling for games in the art development side.
    So here is my first 3D Male Bust.
    Used 'Sculptis'.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.